PS3 PS3 Disc Dumper for PC 3.0.4

Dump PS3 Games on Windows PC - Save your Laser!

1. 7,077
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    I have never done the manual way, You mean for the disc that would not dump? So I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I will try. You mean dump the raw data using image burn, then mount that and try dump it again with the tool?

Unrelated: look how quick I'm dumping: 28 minutes 42GB.. took 32 minutes to do the whole game.

upload_2019-9-16_21-19-34.png

2. 2,233
    Berion

Berion Developer

1. Try dump this game to *.iso using disc image creating by ImgBurn (the result will be encrypted *.iso).
    2. Then use application from attachment in preview post, typing in cmd: "PS3Dec.exe d key <put your ac2 key here as upper case hex values> ac2.iso" and You should get ac2.iso.dec (which will be decrypted *.iso).

I'm trying retrieving key from this specific game (anyone know good tool to gzip decompressing but strings instead files?). :/ But meanwhile, You can just dump the disc to see if it's even "dumpable" (which should point us that it is possible but the possible problem is decryption made by this app). ^^

PS: Because PS3 have BDx2 and current PC drives x4-x8. ;p

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    DeViL303 likes this.
  3. 5,925
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

I see it in the opposite way :D

We can use the IRD to check the hash of the files
    But in the way you are suggesting it involves checking the files + all security crap added by sony

In CFW/HEN the only thing that matters are the files, the security crap added by sony only creates problems, if we bypass it everything becomes more simple and efficient
    *And the backups are smaller because we have the freedom to delete the PS3UPDAT.PUP and other files that you are not going to use ever (like the audio of languages you dont understand)

Algol likes this.
  4. 2,233
    Berion

Berion Developer

@sandungas Your point of view is functionality on PS3 which is of course ok and have sense. My is data preservation where more important is having untouched, possibly exactly the same data as originally released and not bloated standards for verification purpose. How much they occupied space is not important looking at it from future perspective (on PS3, let's say that we have 1,5TiB limitation but on PC+emulator, there is not and sooner or later we get i.e memory cards which could fit whole PS3 library including patches, dlc, digital and disc releases).

Anyway, IRD is IMO bad designed, containing a lot of unnecessary informations (like i.e 4MiB of header god know from where ;]). I would make even one step ahead and say that *.iso is not sufficient. We should have format which will contain in one file all "hidden areas"+ISO.

- - -

I see that this app also support single disk keys. Good! ^^

5. 7,077
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Sorry for delay in replying. I will do that soon with Assassins creed. Don't understand it all so need to figure it out.

6. 5,925
    sandungas

Mine is also preservation, but we differ in the definition of "data"
    I only worry about game data (the files used by the game) and you want 100% of the data in the disc :D

I had this dilemma time ago, initially i was thinking like you but i changed my mind, mostly because the PS3UPDAT.PUP is an annoyance, and because the game industry doesnt follows good standards to package the games

I mean... if i go to a store, buy a game, and start downloading it... im downloading audio for languages i dont understand (at all, is imposible for me to use that files)
    Is a complete nonsense, the owner of the store and me are both wasting time, energy, money, etc, etc, etc...
    I hate that, im used to rip games, and ive seen lot of different ways to package files, some are nice, other sucks... anyway, in all cases i have the need to "fix it" by removing the files of the game im not going to need ever

And by doing that im "breaking" the posible validity checks that some tools could made to my modifyed files
    But still... the IRD allows me to verify all the other files, and also allows me to keep a record of the modifications i made to the game files
    *I use to store a log of the IRD check before, and another log after my modifications, this way by comparing the logs i know what i did ;)

DeViL303 likes this.
  7. 7,077
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    I feel the same. I have no need to back up the stuff that was meant to stop us from backing it up in the first place, Also I prefer a per file check via IRD as I like the idea of being able to modify the image but still verify what is left.

A whole disc check is like a really low resolution version of a IRD check.

8. 5,925
    sandungas

Imagine if all the games was packaged following standard rules

You enter in the online store, and you have a screen with the download settings, and one of them is a list with languages with checkboxes, in my case because i have the system language of the console configured in spanish i should have checkmarked "spanish audio" by default
    But im free to change it, also im free to checkmark other languages

In the same way, another download setting where you have 3 checkboxes
    -common files (this one is mandatory)
    -offline mode
    -online mode

And so on... pretty cool
    Now imagine the same packaging rules is used in optical discs... so the tools used to make backups of optical discs most probably would add an option to make this same selection at the time you backup the disc
    This would be something pretty cool too... something like this would make you change your mind @Berion because it would allow to backup the game in a much better way

The point is... this standarization for packaging games applyes officially for distributing them either in digital or physical formats, but if affects too at how the games are backupped
    Im convinced it will happen in the future, and at that point there is not going to be much people that wants to make a 1:1 copy of the disc
    So... we need to move on... 1:1 copies of game discs from consoles of past generations was ok, but in the generation of the PS3 there is a breakpoint in my oppinion because is when it started the explosion of the digital stores
    The generation of the PS3 is when it was more evident that they are packaging the games in a wrong way

9. 2,233
    Berion

Berion Developer

I fully understand You guys but IMHO it is good to stick 1:1 releases instead of rips. This philosophy was tried years ago when arcade dumps start be uploading. Dumpers didn't dump whole memory making images, instead they creating ZIP archives from files from fs, and worst scenario here is, they calculate checksums for entire archives which was extremely unwise - who today using ZIP? LZMA archives rules today's world - but the checksums still stays for this ancient junk which wastes ~30% to even 60% of possible compression which is in parallel doesn't to much resource demanding during decompression. So I understand that idea.

Another problem with i.e archiving PS3/PS4/PSV/PSP packages files is encryption which killing any compression. And today, we have PS4 which packages are more like disk images than archive format, and even discs are no longer be a mandatory medium as PKGs are copied from them and act the same as those from digital releases (besides of course NP differences in executables/their meta). So again, I understand it.

Yet still, I cannot fully agree to drop that old preservation idea because i.e files on discs sometimes are placed on specific LBA to i.e speed up a little reading (it is quite important in those streaming games with thousand of files).