PS3 Fat 3 beeps shutting off during game play

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Abdallah Taha, Mar 17, 2019 at 7:42 AM.

1. 9
    Abdallah Taha

Abdallah Taha Forum Noob

Okay first of all .. i have this Problem and it’s literally driving me crazy .. i have a ps3 fat 80Gb rebug 4.84 cex .. it was on rebug 4.82 cex too .. anyway i will try to explain it as much as i can but pardon my English sometimes:D
    Soo.. my ps3 crashes “ 3 beeps and shutting down with red light blinking “ during game play only “never in menu “ when i play certain games such as all of COD parts and assassin creed .. but it works perfectly with GTA V and BF4 and most of games .. i did some digging but nothing worked till i figured something out .. it’s obviously not an overheating problem.. cuz I’m using Webman dynamic fan control and the temperature never reach 70c for both CPU and RSX.. but the thing is , those games “ crash my ps3” works perfectly when the fan is on SYSCON .. never crashed a single time once it’s on SYSCON .. even tho the temperature reach 79c but it’s still working perfectly.. is it something i should do with games like COD and AC ? or what is going on?

2. 2,287
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

Can you try games like The last of US or God of War?

Earlier fat model used to have a problem with a faulty SPU unit which could cause this kind of problems. It usually happens those games that rely on CPU usage over RSX.

Abdallah Taha likes this.
  3. 9
    Abdallah Taha

Abdallah Taha Forum Noob

My ps3 model is CECH-K01.. and I’ve tried the last of us and it seems okay ... never happened with this game but tbh i don’t play it much so I’m gonna try it now .. and thank you for your help tho :)

4. 8
    diegogta4

diegogta4 Member

Nectokins lost the capacitance. Tantalus solve the problem.

Enviado de meu SM-J600GT usando o Tapatalk

5. 9
    Abdallah Taha

Abdallah Taha Forum Noob

I’ve tried the last of us for more than an hour one piece.. works perfectly!!! Is nec tokin still the problem?

6. 732
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

Graphic Designer
    All PlayStation3 Models, till the CECH-2000 Series, not 2100 and above, use NEC/Tokin Capacitors, which with use and years and use.,loose theyre capacitence, and when a PS3 shuts off in a middle of a game or a more intensive game, these capacitors are the culprit of the problem.

For that you have two options, either replace them with Tantalum capaciotors (which its a pain in the arse, and a delicate prodecure) or the easiest way its to solder tantalums in parallel, due to the high voltage required by either the CELL or RSX :)

arcadekidflo and Joonie like this.
  7. 2,287
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

I never realized that that could be a problem. I was referring this issue earlier

Afaik, this issue usually happens on very early models like mine.

arcadekidflo likes this.
  8. 732
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

Graphic Designer
    You see, not all games behave the same, some games that put less strain on the RSX or CELL will actually hold on hours on end,but more demanding ones, like GT6, TLoU or others,will make the PS3 to shutoff no matter what.

NEC/Tokin capacitors are notorious for going bad, and Sony isnt the only ones using them, take TOSHIBA for example, during the circa 2008 era laptops, on theyre Satellite range, they were using NEC/Tokins as well, and during a 3/6 years use, these capacitiors lost theyre capacitence to a point, when the machine wouldnt turn on completely, people quickly figure it out that these capacitors were the culprit of the problem, due to the fact that the CPU didnt recive enough juice, the machine would shutoff as a fail safe, sounds familiar?

What i suggest to do if you have a Phat or a 2000 Slim, its to solder tantalums in parallel with the NEC/Tokins, the Phat being at 1200uF and Slims at 1000uF, @sandungas has a neat schematics on how to solder them properly, and a few threads about the issue.

Sometimes these issues doesnt involve solder joints or bad CPU/GPU chips, but people tend to point fingers on something that isnt the issue, and when it comes the time for repair, they do more damage than good.

sandungas and Joonie like this.
  9. 9
    Abdallah Taha

Abdallah Taha Forum Noob

This video is a best description to my ps3 condition

10. 9
    Abdallah Taha

Abdallah Taha Forum Noob

You are awesome dude!! But i really hope it will fix this issue but can i do it at home ? Any video tut? Or what do u suggest? :D thank u so much for ur help tho

11. 133
    arcadekidflo

arcadekidflo Member

Nice fan you have there, Joonie

12. 43
    Fanhais

Fanhais Forum Noob

typical Nec tokin Problem

13. 2,287
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

Nah that's not my PS3 lol. Luckily none of my units has this problem neither NEC/Tokins related.

14. 732
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

Graphic Designer
    Not to be an arse, but trust me, its only a matter of time, the good news is that its an easy fix, that envolves a bit of soldering skills, and you have pretty much solved the issue :)

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Joonie likes this.
  15. 2,287
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

both of my A01 and E01 have been running pretty well. my A01's been re-balled 4 years ago and still running pretty well. I'm so glad that none of my units had SPE failure so far neither the issue you addressed, but yes, now I know what to check if my units start freaking out. Thanks for sharing your input. Thanks to both you and @sandungas for this awesome research.

sandungas likes this.
  16. 3,695
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

The tokins primary function is to work as "electricity buffers", they holds a bit of electricity inside, so when CELL/RSX have a demanding peak it takes it from the "buffer"

But additionally the tokins have other components inside, there are datasheets availables in the manufacturer web where it can be seen btw
    Basically, are designed to create a "very clean" voltage source by using filters (to remove the posible "voltage ripples" and "interferences") and things like that

The concept is the sony engineers was trying to have a very stable voltage on CELL/RSX... we dont know why they did put so many effort in it (i guess that tokins are expensive)... so i guess a inestable voltage could cause weird problems, like the shutdowns either randomly or in some points of a game/app

---------
    With this i dont want to promote any myth about that tokins being bewitched and prone to failure... but i agree that seems to be critical, and could be hard to realize the cause of the problem is in them incase of failure
    And are a pita to "fix" them btw, because are soldered in a area with lot of metal around, so is needed lot of heat

17. 732
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

Graphic Designer
    Don't worry, you are not promoting anything mate, the Brazilian lads already promoted it too much :D

But, yes NECs usually go bad, with age and use, so replace them its the best course of action, they are simply bad in long term reliability, that's why Tantalum Caps can last years even centuries, while these NECs have a life expectancy of approximately 4/7 years with moderate/intensive use.

Another mention i didn't point out, usualy when a NEC its going bad, the PS3 will also fail in PS1 Emulation, mainly FMVs as well as PS3 FMVs,i point out this because mine does exactly like that, but i am not touching it anymore, ive had enough of 60Gb in my life, they only bring me more headaches than good, its still working but ill just leave it be. :D

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

sandungas likes this.
  18. 9
    Abdallah Taha

Abdallah Taha Forum Noob

Well .. i went to a store .. and i showed this thread to the technician.. and guess what ? He wouldn’t even know where my problem is :D u are awesome dude .. i changed them and it works perfectly!! I’ve played COD even with the webman fan on and it’s really awesome!! Thank u for ur advice.. SOLVED !!

sandungas likes this.
  19. 9
    Abdallah Taha

Abdallah Taha Forum Noob

Hell yeah it did !! Thank you so much !!!!!

diegogta4 likes this.
  20. 3,695
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Great, and thx for the confirmation, this kind of things needs user feedback to convince us that is a frequent problem :)