ps3 fat can operate with sdd hard disk ?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by joe musashi, Apr 21, 2019.

1. 6,136
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Well its not either/or, why not go all out and have big external, big NAS, and an SSD for extra €25 :) I get your point though. ;)

2. 991
    umart666

umart666 Member

then all the cost would accumulate to over 100 dollars,and i'm not sure typical user would get their money's worth just for the sake of ps3.especially when compared to one time investment in decent big external hdd that can also be used for various other things other than simply sitting in the ps3.

or,who has some more money to spend,getting a NAS setup or small windows based file server will also improve other things and ps3 also.

3. 6,136
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    I know what you are saying, but for me, I use my PS3 enough, that €25 extra for speed boost is 100% worth it...maybe others would rather spend €25 differently. I already have a massive home server so remote/external storage is not something I worry about.

Also, SSD can be used anywhere too. So it's not like it's gone once you put it in a PS3.

4. 991
    umart666

umart666 Member

like i said,for the typical user.with all due respect you aren't one.i think on the forum all posters should think from the angle of the just your average ps3 user.

also,it's safe to assume that OP is one and this thread is dialogue in that matter,not if dev who already has massive remote storage solution should spend extra 25e on some ssd. ;)

DeViL303 likes this.
  5. 6,136
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    I know, but difference in price between a 500GB SDD and a 500GB is so small now that I think this changing so that it will be worth it for everyday users.

For example, in 2 years, when they are half the price, and its extra €10, do you think the speed boost for file copying and game loading will be worth it then, for €10?

For now it just depends how much that difference money is worth to you I suppose. Some everyday users might say "why not, sure that only the price of a few pints" :D

6. 991
    umart666

umart666 Member

anyone who buys a 500gb 2,5" hdd in 2019 and past that really,really hates his/hers/zurs money. :) on higher capacities difference multiplies,so your argument and example becomes even weaker.

sure,when the day comes that gigabyte per dollar becomes more or less the same between them hdd as all obsolete tech should be,well,obsolete,there's no point in arguing that,but for now buying 500gb ssd or bigger just for ps3 doesn't make sense for the average joe.get big decent external hdd,if it isn't enough space get remote storage and then if you have money to spend and you really,really thinker with your ps3 maybe invest in good size ssd for internal use.

if you're like me and use ps3 for some playstation exclusive games and to get most of higher end CRT's (so even i'm not an average user) then decent size internal hdd and big external hdd when properly managed is really all what you need to get most of an ps3.

DeViL303 likes this.
  7. 6,136
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    It depends on location too I suppose, I paid €24 for a triple vodka recently with no mixer.

Compared to that a speed boost for €25 is a good deal :D

8. 4,471
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Yep, we are going in that direction the price gap is decreasing, this is why sales of mechanical hdds are downhill, and i guess in the next years they are going to be completly exterminated by the hybrid hdds

Cheers to the "pint meassurement scale" :D
    I use it sometimes too, as example with USB sticks
    4gb USB stick = 4$
    8gb USB stick = 5$
    16gb USb stick = 6$

Buying the stick with 4gb is a nonsense... is just a pint :)

-------
    If someone is reading us and considering if buying a better hdd for the PS3 i think that most important thing to consider is if you already have a decent hdd in the PS3

If you already have it and you are only buying it to have an small boost then i think is not worthy

But if you need to buy a hdd for the PS3 because doesnt have it, or have an hdd that is problematic, old, damaged, etc... then this is where you could consider buying an hybrid or ssd because the rule of "is just a/few pint/s"

-------
    And btw... dont buy one of that "top class" samsung EVO or whatever... this is another waste of money
    Is better to go cheap because the goal is not to achieve a "top speed" (remember the SATA connector of the PS3 is "capped")... the goal is to use the flash technology

So most probably one of that clone brands from mother russia or china empire is going to be good enought for PS3
    Try to find some reviews of it incase is mentioned who manufacturers the flash chips of controller chip... usually are the same components than in popular brands

umart666 and DeViL303 like this.
  9. 6,136
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Yeah, like i said in my first post here, I think Hybrid SSHD is the way to go for PS3, you get most of the advantage, and less of the cost disadvantage, so almost the best of both.

1TB Firecuda hybrid = £57
    1TB Barracuda normal = £43

£12.50 difference. Price of 2 drinks or a meal really.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  10. 991
    umart666

umart666 Member

just don't buy cheapest no name and you're good.crucial,transcend,adata and similar brands have if not best then really close to it prices,and don't sell trash.

for me personally barrier is 100 dollars,and decent 1tb ssd is still and will be for some time over 100 dollars (for example crucial 1tb is 140 dollars).really,really good 2tb 2,5" hdd is 70 bucks brand new,and 1tb more and 70 dollars less is what sells it for me and i think for the average user.

when difference between higher capacity ones comes to 20-30 dollars then we can recommend ssd as default.

hybrids are still a bit pricey for me,on 1tb you get double capacity for your dollar.but for advanced users it's a good idea.

sandungas and DeViL303 like this.
  11. 1,933
    Berion

Berion Developer

SATA speed is slow for sure but replacing slow 5400rpm HDD You will get something much more important: very fast sector (block) access speed.

However there are some issues with SSD which no one ever research. First is Trim support in OS (we don't know if CellOS have it), without it, SSD cannot do efficiency wear levelling management which slowly killing device. Second is encryption layer: later models using fast AES XTS but older AES CBC which is (as I heard) much slower (so in theory, on i.e Slims You could get better speed results than on Fat models on the same SSD - but I don't think so it can be experience as today SSDs are on TLC/QLC with at least ~400MiBps). Last issue is price: it is still quite expensive stuff for TiB.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    DeViL303 likes this.
  12. 991
    umart666

umart666 Member

that's why i said to buy at least decent known brand,all decent or better ssd's have garbage collection in firmware so write management is good and there's isn't realistic risk other than performance degradation over time,that can be easily resolved by rebuilding in ps3.

average user will not use it to that level that cell degradation and total writes is a problem.

on the other hand all those cheap no name or random brand ssd from aliexpress or the like ps3 will kill.so will a mild summer breeze of a wind. :)

13. 1,933
    Berion

Berion Developer

Isn't dev_hdd1 is used as games cache? If yes, then write it is a problem. For sure it is huge problem in PS4, as she endlessly recording videos which cannot be turned off (I'm curious how write/read speeds would increase if user could unload this cancer).

14. 991
    umart666

umart666 Member

i always had page file in my pc's,and my first ssd (samsung 830) is well alive and kicking and in use and abuse to this day and i brought it second hand in i think 2010 or 2011.so,as long is decent and has decent chips in it,along with garbage collection writes in this scenarios of use aren't really a problem.and with declining prices,nobody should really worry about it.

15. 26
    Desmo

Desmo PSX-Place Supporter

I researched this for a few days before deciding what I wanted to do. I went ahead and bought a 500GB SSD as it was only 65Euros on Amazon. Do I see a difference? Really can't say as I never paid in depth attention. The only place where I see a faster loading time is when I power off the PS3 incorrectly and it has to go through its check. Before, it took awhile but now it flies through the check. However, that could be due to something else.
    The one benefit that I kept on reading about was it made the system run cooler. Since I have a release phat and that comes with a boat load of issues, I wanted to do everything I could to keep my overall system temps and heat down.
    65Euros wasn't a huge investment so I figured why not...

16. 991
    umart666

umart666 Member

if you have 65e for ssd (and 65e for 500gb ssd seems excessive especially for ps3) you have that 20-30e for proper service and delid,that should resolve all your problems with heat.you didn't gain even a 1c of the difference with ssd,but you continue to risk your ps3 as all undelided fats are at this point ticking time bombs and ylod is just a matter of time until happen.

17. 97
    Fedor Wearing A Fedora

Fedor Wearing A Fedora Member

i can co-sign this, both of my system have a sshd. here's a comparison:

sandungas and DeViL303 like this.
  18. 991
    umart666

umart666 Member

main problem is that launch momentus which is really slow,and if i remember correctly only has 8mb of cash.any hdd from 5 or so years is leaps and bounds better and better still would be backup on external hdd or network and decent internal hdd.also,skyrim is one of those really rare games where storage plays a part.almost all of ps3 library is unaffected by that problem.

19. 26
    Desmo

Desmo PSX-Place Supporter

Don't have problems with heat and haven't since I bought it. I hope it doesn't go anytime soon but if it does, oh well...

20. 991
    umart666

umart666 Member

so,you're solving the problem that you don't have with the method that doesn't work? :)