PS3 PS3 Freezes/hangs inside xmb / games

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreak CFW and PS3HEN' started by hp2121, Sep 6, 2018.

1. 12
    hp2121

hp2121 Forum Noob

Hello,

I have a CFW 4.82 Rebug and I cannot find why the system freezes/hangs on xmb and games ...
    HDD or firmware ?
    It is a cech 2004 series

Thanks for your help

2. 145
    Incorruptable

Incorruptable Member

I would also be interested in any answers, my PS3 also freezes sometimes mid game play, i have ruled out temps as i have installed webMOD and been monitoring the temps in a variety of games at mid points, start, end and it never rises above 60'c as i have the fan running at 35%.

I am leaning towards HDD being poor state and considering upgrading.

3. 12
    hp2121

hp2121 Forum Noob

Here is a example of what I got during gaming (backup is on HDD, change nothing if it was on USB or ethernet ) :

4. 7,866
    kozarovv

kozarovv Developer

Home Page:
    Looks like slow HDD.

5. 12
    hp2121

hp2121 Forum Noob

6. 7,525
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

First test you should try is to play the backuped game from internal hdd
    Otherway... if your game is in external usb hdd... you dont know if the problem is in the external usb hdd or internal hdd

If the PS3 is having problems in main XMB (even before mounting/playing any game)... then the problem most probably is in internal hdd

7. 205
    NewFile

NewFile Developer

That's because the other HDD must be formatted and since you have NOR type, you also need to reinstall the CFW aswell.
    You say: (backup is on HDD, change nothing if it was on USB or ethernet
    If you have tried it on external aswell then it probably isn't an internal HDD issue. You either have a faulty CPU, GPU,PSU, overheating(which you seem to rule out) or the most likely you have a memory issue.
    Check if you are not running out of available free memory. Another possiblity is conflicts between homebrew, plugins on boot or whatever, no idea. I guess the best way would be to start fresh. Put another HDD, install the most basic CFW, transfer the backup to the internal HDD, and install only a simple launcher, then try running it.
    The idea of of a confict somewhere is more than possible, many times when new HDD is used and it works fine, people tend to assume that their old HDD was the problem, when it fact it could have been their CFW,homebrew,apps conflicts. They don't notice because they are starting fresh. Might worth trying to see if there were any changes before these symptoms appeared. Disk corruption, current went out during install, save process, homebrew modding, new config tool installed or whatever,

8. 12
    hp2121

hp2121 Forum Noob

I upgraded the firmware 2 months ago (last one was Habib 4.XX CFW where X is a number between 0 and 6) for a clean install : there were too much things installed on it (webmanMod , ftp server , etc). Maybe time to remake one ?
    No worry about the backup on this console: there are safely stored on a external WD HDD

I assume the new HDD must be formatted to FAT32 (or without partition) ?

9. 205
    NewFile

NewFile Developer

Does not matter. The PS3 will ask you to format it. Even if it comes from another PS3 it will still ask you to format it since each HDD used in the PS3 it's encrypted with the console specific unique key. Only putting the same HDD that you are using would properly (ift's it's not corrupted or has problems). The only other cases you can get problem is when the HDD does is not recognized (faulty HDD, not properly seated, wrong voltage etc) or it has some advanced OS specific features and commands, weird partition schemes etc. But really, since you have so so many HDDs, and a backup of the current one, don't worry too much.
    Just follow the on-screen direction to install the firmware and format the new HDD. Should be easy enough,
    Good luck.

10. 7,525
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

The goal is to overwrite the info about the filesystem created by the PS3
    In other words... we dont want the PS3 to find any "sony" data in the hdd
    The first thing the PS3 reads on the hdd is the first sector (512 bytes) by deleting or overwriting that sector is enought

There are many ways to do it, all them involves writing on top of that sector
    -format hdd in pc in FAT, NTFS, whatever will work
    -allow windows to "initialize" it
    -in some hexeditor you can "open device" to see the hdd contents and copy/write bytes in the first sector
    -with linux "dd" command (and the "dd for windows") you can manage sectors and groups of sectors in a accurate way
    -etc...

11. 145
    Incorruptable

Incorruptable Member

May i throw a question into the thread?

I was monitoring my system information during a local multiplayer game of Minecraft, the available system memory was moving between 1500kb and 1200kb.

That’s pretty damn low and I am thinking this may be the reason I experience sudden freezing of my machine.

Is that a typical amount of free memory during gameplay or is my system hungry for memory? How can I free up some resources to give back to the memory?