PS3 Gim Setting Identifier Tool 1.5 - Direct Conversion from .PNG to GIM

Discussion in 'Developer Tools' started by RandomDude, Feb 27, 2019.

1. 378
    RandomDude

RandomDude Member

**I've made a fully automated rcomage by modifying this tool. There's no need to use this anymore unless you have any reasons.
    Link: https://www.psx-place.com/threads/u...m-to-png-conversion-dump-compile-files.22867/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is For those of you who are doing XMB modding or any sorts of experimental stuff do find their Icons changing into white boxes. This is due to improper conversion setting used while rcomage converts Gim >> PNG.

To overcome that we must first check it's setting but that itself is a hassle.

NEVER USE RCOMAGE TO CONVERT GIM TO PNG ONLY USE IT TO VIEW THE PNG FILES!!!

NOTE: YOU MUST PLACE YOUR GIM FILE & THE GSF TOOL IN THE GIMCONV FOLDER.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1) -- Operation is as simple as entering the name of your file (ex: tex_loading_icon.gim)

Then, if you want to convert your custom png to gim type in yes, (the png must match the gim file name and be in the folder of gimconv)

delete the .gsf extension from the .gsf.gim file name & use that .gim in the folder to compile it with rcomage! ( ex -> tex_psn.gsf.gim ---> tex_psn.gim)

Here's a little screenshot:

If you don't want to convert the .png to .gim just type in no, & it will let you know the settings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Download Link v1.5:
    https://mega.nz/#!Zg5kWQRA!Or16fdx61n7rn88crf2AkYv_kiQOzKiPhFu9IxNv7tA
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1.5 -> Fixed small bug which showed conversion success without .png even being there.
    1.4 -> Fixed minor bug related to .png conversion
    1.3 -> Direct .png to .gim conversion added & changed rcomage text.
    1.2 -> Improved speed of conversion and reduced required manual user input.
    1.1 -> small text changes.

**with 1.5 Update we can check settings or DIRECT CONVERT .PNG TO GIM much much faster than before. ALSO it must be located inside the GimConv Directory.

(for direct conversion of the png to gim, put the gsf.exe, original gim, and your custom png in the gimconv folder. And also delete the .gsf extension from file name ex: tex_psn.gsf.gim >> tex_psn.gim)

Small, Virus-free, Extremely fast tool compiled in c++

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  2. 5,915
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

If you compile it again for 32bits i think i could include it in the next version of "RCOmage psdevwiki MOD" :)

RandomDude likes this.
  3. 378
    RandomDude

RandomDude Member

Sure thing, meanwhile I'm working on a few changes and bug fixes for more ease of use :D:D:D, It might take some time..

DeViL303 likes this.
  4. 378
    RandomDude

RandomDude Member

v1.1 is compiled in 32 bits now with small bug fixes and a little more efficiency in code.

DeViL303 likes this.
  5. 7,071
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Do you mean just include it in download, or would it be possible to use this app to make RCOmage work properly when its comes to gim to png conversion? What I mean is could the info be taken from this app and put into the main xml that RCOmage creates automatically (or another xml), So that it could rebuild RCOs 100% correctly?

RandomDude likes this.
  6. 2,814
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    You could create a" Middle man" bat or exe that would call upon this app to do its thing during the conversion process.

complie RCO > gim setting finder + gimconv > rco mage to output the correctly complied RCO

or something like this maybe???

RandomDude and DeViL303 like this.
  7. 2,814
    Cypher_CG89

Also I have been thinking, a script to properly identify the correct compression of the RCO whether it zlib or anything and add that to the process so it become a fully automated RCO compiler with the correct settings for everything that are found automatically so everything should be 100% correct the the out put of the complied RCO or more or less 100% the same as the original. and add that into the process.

Compile RCO > GIM SET find > GIMConv > Compression finder > RCO mage output.

Then it should be more or less the exact same as the RCO that is being replaced.

RandomDude and DeViL303 like this.
  8. 378
    RandomDude

RandomDude Member

Awsome.
    My question is why wasn't this done earlier, Like shortly after it's release or even at it's release?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  9. 2,814
    Cypher_CG89

Sometime details like this can be overlooked when when the dev that made just wants to get it out for people to use, its still a good tool but the manually parts can be totally removed to fully automate the process. It just needs the source code editing to extend the function's to include the new added steps and maybe some .bat files or maybe even compile the .bats to .exe. I have a tool that will compile them to exe.

And another idea is fore the sound conversions to detect is there is any in the RCO as sometime's if you select the sound conversion's when there isn't any it will error when breaking down the RCO.

RandomDude likes this.
  10. 2,814
    Cypher_CG89

Also @RandomDude why did you make a thread for this? I would have put it in the resources section lol.

Its a handy and good tool to use, especially for noobs that don't know how to use command line stuff.

Maybe a mod can move it for you and this becomes a support thread for it without duplicating stuff.

RandomDude likes this.
  11. 378
    RandomDude

RandomDude Member

Oops.... my bad, wasn't paying attention just wanted to make a quick release. :grin:

edit: Tbh, Let it stay here ...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  12. 2,814
    Cypher_CG89

I would of though they would do it for you..... I am wondering about how to make the bat file to make it a n automated process, there are some i have that could be used as reference.

13. 378
    RandomDude

RandomDude Member

I don't fully undestand you cypher...
    could you rephrase that?

DeViL303 likes this.
  14. 2,814
    Cypher_CG89

You do now :-p :D most likely because I put it all one line instead making a new one.

And shit one of the quotes from one of your post is not there.... most likely my fault for that quote no being there. No wonder lol.

15. 378
    RandomDude

RandomDude Member

Was Planning to add an update to gsf, extracted most of the rco files for it.

and here I thought there were only 30 or so Gim files... lol
    gsf.PNG

DeViL303 likes this.
  16. 7,071
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    I was just thinking, as its late in the PS3s life, they probably wont add new GIMs to firmware, So instead of building this app into RCOmage completely, it might be easier to just use this app on all gims in PS3 firmware separately, then create a database of the settings for RCOmage to use from the output?

So then RCOmage just checks the filenames against database, and knows how to handle each gim when repacking RCOs. That way the gim settings only need to be found once rather then every time. I don't know, just throwing it out there as to me it sounds simpler :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    RandomDude and Cypher_CG89 like this.
  17. 2,814
    Cypher_CG89

Basically adding a GIM config file for RCO mage to use?..... should work..... also you might as well add a compression config as well to it... it would just be a matter of adding the new configs into the places in the RCO Mage source code or if the main config file can be edited to use these new extra configs would be simpler than editing the source code.

DeViL303 and RandomDude like this.
  18. 378
    RandomDude

RandomDude Member

I was doing the exact same thing for the new update lol...

DeViL303 likes this.
  19. 7,071
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Nice one. Loving this, I use rcomage so much and its such a pain.

Wishful thinking, but it would be cool if RCOmage could be expanded to have options for batch unpacks, and swapping/adding new icons to RCOs through the gui, with resizing and conversion from png/jpg built in, and some other stuff. having this database could be first step. :)

Also it needs to be setup so it just automatically creates folder next to RCO with same name as RCO for extracting to.. you should not need to tell it that, or type xml name. :)

RandomDude likes this.
  20. 2,814
    Cypher_CG89

It will take you a while to get through nearly 2000 gim images lol, keep at it with the good work an we could have a fully automated RCO Mage which is super noob friendly as well.