ps3 hacking

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by alexkapoios, Oct 12, 2019.

1. 3
    alexkapoios

alexkapoios Forum Noob

Hello. I'm beginner and I need your help.
    My friend gives me a PS3 Fat and the Model No is CECHL04 PAL with firmware 4.85.
    I want to hack PS3. I'm looking for tutorial and I don't understand someone things. For example, what are cfw, hfw, han, hen, flash writer, flash dumper, NAND, NOR? Also, what are the different Jailbreak vs Homebrew, CFW vs HFW, han vs hen, flash writer vs flash dumper, NAND vs NOR?

2. 106
    SpyroMancer

SpyroMancer Member

Something tells me you're greek, right?

3. 3
    alexkapoios

alexkapoios Forum Noob

Yes.

4. 8,931
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Here is a quick rundown.Good questions by the way as it can be confusing.
    Additional Research will be needed by yourself in regards to your particular model,, but this will get you started on some things and a hopefully better understanding of the process and what some of these things mean and what they are.

CFW= Custom Firmware and is only installable on SOME PS3 SLIM Models and ALL PS3 FAt Models . Late Slim Models and also All SuperSlim Models CAN NOT INSTALL A CFW. Those models will have install PS3HEN (see below about ps3hen)

HAN = Is outdated for it normal use. it was for nonCFW models before PS3HEN it unlocked the PS1/PS2/PSP emulators and allowed for some digital backups of games. PS3HEN is much more powerful. (You/Anyone will learn more this aspect (in PS3HEN installation Notes) >> HAN is needed just to provide the Install Package icon for the XMB, but its functionality beyond that is outdated.) .

HFW = Is kind of unique, its simple but has a huge purpose.Developer's found holes in 4.82 OFW on the PS3. Sony patched this in the release of 4.83. Developer's figured out they could make some light modifications on an OFW pup and its still could install on an unmodified system. All HFW does is bring back the hole used in 4.82 back on 4.84 (first) but has been updated and still works with the new 4.85 HFW on 4.85 Official firmware. So if exploiting from 4.85 OFW, no matter if your using CFW or PS3HEN you will need to first install 4.84 HFW first before choose the CFW or PS3HEN path (based on model)

Flash Writer is for models that can install CFW. it makes for those models to install a CFW by making a change in the system's internal flash.

Flash Dumper, just makes a dump of your current flash. This can be useful to have on hand incase of danger, by itself it wont help you but with a hardware flasher it can revive a bad installation. An optional tool/step but recommenced process.

NOR and NAND refers to the type of PS3 you have. Know if you model is using a model with NOR or NAND type.

Jailbreak is the exploiting of a console essentially,
    Where as Homebrew is the apps created by the community.

There is no CFW vs HFW
    HFW is just a bridge mentioned that brings back previous exploits to the current ofw user's.
    HFW is like a downgrade back to 4.82 from 4.85 if you want to look at it that way.

HANvsHEN
    HAN= Some features listed above
    PS3HEN = Many more features and closer to a CFW experience

Flash writer vs flash dumper
    One makes a copy (dumps) the flash contents of your console, mentioned above good idea to have a clean backup for your console.
    Writer is part of the exploiting process that is needed. Gives OFW the power to install a CFW from OFW with no hardware. All software.

NAND vs NOR
    Your PS3 either has a NAND or a NOR .

5. 106
    SpyroMancer

SpyroMancer Member

that was quite an answer @STLcardsWS

Since alex and me are greeks, we talk through pm to help him out.

Filipe Santos and alexkapoios like this.
  6. 410
    Filipe Santos

Filipe Santos Member

Passionate Retro Bastard
    Home Page:
    cool.
    to OP : it's easier than you think , all it takes is some time to get the information regarding the model you have and you're off from there.
    all the best , good luck and good night!

soudi likes this.
  7. 1
    soudi

soudi Forum Noob

helo.. Am a HAN/HEN user for some time now but I never figure out how I can copy pkg games I installed using HAN off the ps3 to USB

is 4.85 hfw ready yet we've been waiting for some time

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2019