PS3 PS3 hard crashes randomly while playing PS2 games.

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreak CFW and PS3HEN' started by MikeZorD, Sep 18, 2019.

1. 10
    MikeZorD

MikeZorD Forum Noob

Hello, I'm new here and to the ps3 jailbreak scene. As I've only recently did it to my ps3 just this summer.

Well I will disclose that my ps3 has a problem with booting, as it sometimes shuts down when I try to boot, giving me 3 beeps and a blinking red light, even before the blue light from the blue ray reader comes up. I just force myself through it until it gives in and boots normaly. I've tried most things to try and fix this problem but to no avail, probably would have to replace the power source.

Anyways, my current problem is the following, I want to play PS2 games through ISO files, but my ps3 hard crashes (completely shuts down and stays with a blinking red light) at random, can be while booting up the game, or half an hour in game. It even gives an internal sound like a back switch of some kind being flipped, trying to describe the symptoms as best I can here. It also has trouble to start reading/detecting discs, but that's probably due to a faulty/old laser.

Okay so, I first installed the cfw REBUG REX/D-REX 4.82.0 with Cobra 8.0.2 (iirc), and this problem was nowhere to be seen at the start. I even managed to fully play through games multiple times. Only after a couple months this started happening for no reason, as I didn't update anything. So naturally I went online to try and search for solutions for this, and although I didn't find anyone talking about these games hard crashing their ps3, I tried all the possible fixes I could find, and here is a list of them:

- Played around with rebug settings, testing with Cobra on/off, and rebug/normal in the rebug toolbox;
    - Used multiMAN, Managunz (with every different setting) and webMAN MOD;
    - Upgraded to REBUG REX/D-DEX 4.28.2 as well as Cobra to 8.1 and the latest toolbox;
    - Retried testing with Rebug/Normal and cobra on/off;
    - Tested with ps2 games that weren't really verified in the compatibility list, as well as fully playable ones;
    - Tried to lower the temperature to around 60ºC (was around 70ºC before);
    - Tried using the PS2 classics way, but couldn't make it work, because whenever I tried to mount the encrypted image with the PS2 manager app, it always presented me with "an unexpect error occurred" and wouldn't do anything, tested with 2 games (1 unlisted and 1 playable) same error. Also tried mounting with webMAN, while it worked, the crashing issue still persisted however;
    - Verified the MD5 of the ISO files, tried with both valid and not valid ones;
    - Tried doing restore file system, rebuilding database and restore default settings;

These are all the things I've tried doing, maybe I'm forgetting some stuff but I'm sure I'll remember if it gets brought up. It is worth mentioning that whenever it hard crashes, and I boot up, it never asks for the file corruption check. Also the fact that this only happens with ps2 games, it never happens with ps3 games, and haven't tested other games like ps1, psp and stuff. I'd like to avoid the thermal paste option as I have no experience whatsoever in soldering, best I did was opening up the machine and cleaning the laser.

I tried everything I could think of and find, nothing seems to be working nor telling me where the problem lies. Hopefuly someone here is able to help me with this issue, I'm still a newbie so bare with me. Thank you in advance!

2. 1,651
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Whats your console model, may i ask? Anything can be useful.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

3. 10
    MikeZorD

MikeZorD Forum Noob

Oh yes yes,I forgot to mention these sorry, my model is a slim CECH-2004B, and was operating under 4.82 or 4.83 (can't remember which one now) ofw if that's of some use. Thanks for the reply.

4. 10
    MikeZorD

MikeZorD Forum Noob

Wanted to add that meanwhile I changed cfw to SPY Cobra 4.85, and the issue still persists. I also tested ps1 games and they also seem to run fine just like ps3 games. This only happens with ps2 games and it is driving me nuts as to why.

5. 1,651
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Sorry for the late reply, i was going to ask about that, if any issue does occur upon booting a PlayStation or PlayStation3 Title,but it seems you´ve replied to it.

Anyhow, are you trying to boot any specific titles, can you mention them, you see there are a few PlayStation2 titles on Non-Backwards Compatible Models, that indeed make the system go into shutdown,such titles that come to my mind are Katamary Damacy and Big Mutha Truckers.

6. 122
    remlei

remlei Member

you can check the ps2 compatibility first if the game works fine on ps3 (in emulation). The compatibility should be the same even if your run the games in ISO or classics format. If your game requires a config to work, just follow this post how to apply the config file on the game iso you have ).

else, just buy actual PS2 hardware and play your PS2 games there. Trust me, ps2 games on ps3 emulation mode is PIA. Tried playing my favorite .hack games in there but it just have issues, either graphical glitch or the ps3 just freezes.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  7. 10
    MikeZorD

MikeZorD Forum Noob

I'm trying the play the following:

__PS2__ (Crashes)
    Dark Cloud (NTSC) (This one is unlisted)
    Dark Cloud 2 (NTSC) (This one is listed with minor glitches)
    The Sword of Etheria (PAL) (This one is unlisted but is the one I fully played through multiple times before this issue start happening)
    Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (NTSC) (This one has all versions listed as playable, although with a recomended config to fix minor bugs which I did implement. Funny thing is for some reason this one would boot into a black screen no matter what I tried)
    LEGO Star Wars II (NTSC) (This one is listed as playable without any notes on bugs)

__PS1__ (Work)
    Street Fighter EX 2 + (PAL) (This one is listed as playable)
    Final Fantasy VII (NTSC-U) (This one is not listed, only has PAL as playable, but most ps1 games only have PAL listed)

__PS3__ (Work)
    Modern Warfare 2
    Dragon Quest Builders
    J-Stars Victory Vs
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle
    Worms Armageddon

I did learn about how to apply these configs, and tried on Dark Cloud (However I then learned the config was meant for the JP version, as it was making the game boot into a blackscreen) as well as for Castlevania, because this one was already booting into a black screen and no matter what I tried I couldn't get passed it, even though it's considered playable. I also heard that Managunz already applies/auto-generates these config files, regardless I tried all of these with Managunz, multiMAN and webMAN MOD. However none of these fixed the issue, they (PS2 games) all still crash.

8. 10
    MikeZorD

MikeZorD Forum Noob

Are there no suggestions for this issue? (Besides buying a ps2 of course)

9. 1,651
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    With PlayStation3 and PlayStation Software Format, you don't have to worry about it, i only asked to determine the best approach, as sometimes it could be a Hardware Issue, but thats not the case in this situation.

PlayStation Software Format is 99.8% Backwards Compatible across all PlayStation3 Models, only 3/4 titles are list as incompatible.

Now on the PlayStation2 Software Format, that compatibility takes a bit of nose dive, around 75% for Non-Backwards Compatible Consoles.

Dark Cloud its a bit of a mess on a Non-Backwards Compatible Console, i know that PAL doesn't work, so doesn't NTSC, ive tested them myself a year ago, the only one you'll get it working its the NTSC-J Version, i am not sure of the PSN Config file it's cross compatible with a few tweaking, as the game in its raw form its pretty much a mess,same with Dark Chronicles/Cloud 2.

The problem with PlayStation2 Emulation, is that the Emulator its a bit picky on Title per Title basis, not to mention Region Encoding, this reminds me of the CECH-C/E situation with Crash Twinsanity, which only the PAL Copy works almost flawlessly, NTSC/NTSC-J instantly freeze, except on the Academy Of Evil Stage, which can be easily bypassed, and these are Semi-Hardware Based PlayStation2 Backwards Compatibility, same with the Full-Software Backwards Compatibility.

For the Titles that are not listed, you don't have much choice, either you'll have to test it yourself, or search for Community made Config Files if the Title needs minor adjustments.

If you test and unlisted title, make sure to contribute to the PS2 Cobra Compatibility List, but please, do not post incorrect information like ive seen a few times from other users, posting a Title that its Compatible with Hardware Based Backwards Compatibility, but not with Software Based, like Ratchet and Clank,claiming it as playable, when the title its in reality unplayable on software based, which is not the main goal here, the list its solely for PlayStation2 Classics Emulator (PS2_NetEmu).

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    DeViL303 and Algol like this.
  10. 10
    MikeZorD

MikeZorD Forum Noob

Thank you for your reply. Thank god it's not an hardware issue, I had my suspicions because right after I had my ps3 jailbroken I was able to play ps2 games with no problems at all. Also I was just making sure to post all info because the more info disclosed, the better.

I noticed that ps2 emulation isn't the smoothest, pcsx2 emulator took a long time to be what it is today, so it wasn't surprising that it would be any different on the ps3. What I don't get is, how was I able to play these games without issues before, even completed Sword of Etheria twice and now I barely can finish 1 stage without my ps3 crashing.

How do we explain Castlevania and LEGO Star Wars II? They're both listed as playable, I should be able to play these, but one can't even boot (black screen and I searched around for this issue but couldn't find any report on a black screen on boot, only ingame bugs, which the config file would fix) while the other crashes the same as any other game I try to play. And yes I would certainly try to contribute to the list as best I could, if I could get passed this issue first that is.

11. 1,651
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Perhaps a bad dump, re-dump thoes titles from the PlayStation2 Disc, and try again.

I had a problem with Xenosaga I, on my Slim one, it would work on my 60Gb (obviously), but on the Slim, it would leave it on a Black Screen, even by stating Playable on the Wiki, until i realised it was a bad dump, so a re-dump fixed the issue.

Algol likes this.
  12. 10
    MikeZorD

MikeZorD Forum Noob

Okay I got a new dump on Castlevania: Cruse of Darkness and yes that fixed the black screen (I did a MD5 check just to be sure and it was valid) although just as I started moving the character, PS3 crashed again, so this is not a problem of the game's compatibility, it must be something else.

13. 1,651
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Crashed in what way, like it just froze, and you manually reset it or shut itself off?

14. 10
    MikeZorD

MikeZorD Forum Noob

It always crashes the same way like I described on my original post. It completely shuts down without any hang up or warning, and stays with a blinking red light while giving 3 beeps (just one sequence, they don't go on repeating) and if I press the power button the light turns from blinking to solid and then it turns on if I press it another time.

15. 271
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

I have Dark Cloud and Dark Cloud 2 installed, both ripped from my old scratched discs but they work just fine as ps2classics pkg's. DC2 is kinda laggy but mostly playable. Only ps2 game that I've experienced a crash / freeze with was Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly.

Maybe your system is overheating? What do the temps on your system look like when you are playing PS3 titles? My 3001A's fans will go into panic mode randomly when I play ps2 titles, and they don't calm down after a reboot either. I turn my ps3 back on, but the fan is still spooling up for takeoff and doesn't calm back down until just letting the system idle on the XMB for a variable amount of time. Or powering it off for a good 30 - 45 mins. I don't use any fan control. Never was able to figure out why the fan does this when I play ps2 games lol.

16. 10
    MikeZorD

MikeZorD Forum Noob

I too was able to play dark cloud with no problems before, this isn't an issue of game compatibility as no ps2 games are stable on my system right now for some reason, they all crash my ps3 at one point or another. I did check to see if it was crashing due to overheating, so I went and got webMAN and used its fan control system. Usually the games were at around 72-74ªC on both ps3 and ps2 titles (haven't checked on ps1 games yet), and after the fan system I made sure to lower to around 63-65ºC but it still kept crashing, so I went a tad bit lower like 60ºC but no dice. So naturally I also ruled out overheating from the equation. It must still be something else.

Now thinking about this, is maybe going back to ofw and redo all the cfw implementation on my console worth a shot? Is it even doable at this point? I have no clue, but if it is and no one manages to find another solution, I'd kindly ask for someone to guide me(or point me to one) step by step on how I should proceed to achieving this. Also I will be away from my system starting this weekend until the end of december, so I might need to revive this post (or create another one) once I get back to furthur explore this issue with you guys.

17. 271
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

You have any success searching around the web to see if anyone else has experienced a similar problem with ps2 titles on their non-bc ps3's?
    I have no clue myself but maybe some setting you tinkered with, or some homebrew or whatever that you installed did something to mess up the ps2 emulator? Going back to OFW and redoing everything from scratch would probably be worth a shot, though I've not much experience with CFW's I do think it's possible to do that. Best of luck to you. I myself would look around for a modded ps2, or one that can easily be modded and just use that for ps2 games. Something on my list that I haven't worked down to yet lol, but it's a good concept!

18. 10
    MikeZorD

MikeZorD Forum Noob

I did try to search around for a simillar issue like this, but couldn't find anyone complaining about their ps3 hard crashing like mine. Most problems involved black screens or the system freezing during gameplay.

Major_Pothead92 likes this.
  19. 66
    DoublesAdvocate

DoublesAdvocate Member

I think I'm having a similar issue, I installed all 5 GTA games for PS2 and they all work just fine except for my copy of GTA SA:SE which completely shuts down my PS3 every time I try to launch it I don't even get a red light on the power button. I tried mounting with managunz, and webman, still nothing.

Major_Pothead92 likes this.
  20. 271
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

I got all the ps2 ones installed as well (GTA at its finest imo.)

San Andreas works fine as a ps2 classic for me using the config file for the NET emulator. NTSC version 1 I believe (still have the disc from when I was gifted it in 2004 lmao, before the hot coffee content was cut.) Maybe try converting it to a classics pkg and see how that works out?

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/ps2-classic-gui.364/

Could also be that it's the special edition one that you have, maybe that one isn't compatible for some reason.

DoublesAdvocate likes this.