Dismiss Notice

BEWARE of IMPOSTERS, posing as the PS3Xploit Members/Team:

-PS3Xploit does NOT have a discord channel, some imposter are using one

-If the info can't be found on ps3xploit.com or psx-place.com its fake

-ZuKuTo / OFWModz is one of the fake names of these imposter's are using to represent the PS3xploit team.

PS3 PS3 keeps shutting down after injecting SSL certificate

Discussion in 'PS3Xploit HAN (nonCFW Compatable Models)' started by tabrani, Jul 23, 2018.

1. 20
    tabrani

tabrani Member

Hello,

I tried to inject a SSL certificate (http://ps3xploit.com/ssl_cert_injector_remover/ssl_cert_injector.html).
    It was copied successfully. I verified it was added using the File Explorer from Han Toolbox.
    Then after copying the certificate, I turned off the PS3.
    Then immediately I turned it on again using the controller.
    And now, problems started...
    The PS3 turns on green light (without TV signal) and then shuts down after a few seconds (no lights at all when it shuts down).
    I tried out a method that I found online (removing the power plug then pressing the power button for half a minute). It didn't work....

Could injecting the SSL certificate have caused this?
    Or the PS3 has a different problem and it was just a coincidence that this happened after injecting the SSL file?
    And what do you suggest to fix this?

PS: this is a PS3 Slim 3k model with OFW 4.82.

Thanks.

esc0rtd3w likes this.
  2. 7,066
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Which PS3 model exactly ?
    CECH-????

Most probably is not booting because the certificate is checked at boot time and doesnt passes the verification
    Incase is a PS3 model with NOR flash type (so it stores certificates on hdd)... then formatting hdd should make it boot (to a warning screen that tells you to install firmware from USB)

Edit:
    Oki, i misunderstood that part, so is a CECH-30xx, and it has NOR flash
    Then what i mentioned about formatting the hdd should work (i think, not completly sure though)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    tabrani likes this.
  3. 20
    tabrani

tabrani Member

The problem is I can't even boot to Safe Mode. When I hold the power button, the PS3 turns on then it beeps once and shuts down (this time the red light is on).
    Also, can't I just plug the hard drive to my PC and remove the certificate file manually?

4. 7,066
    sandungas

The PS3 hdd is encrypted, so when you connect it to PC the info in it cant be accessed... unless you use a specific app made by 3141card that does the decryption, but it works on "read-only" mode (no write access as far i know), and it needs a unique "per console" key you dont have

What you can do as a test is to replace the hdd temporally by other... just boot with the new hdd and you will see the "warning" screen with some texts advising you is needed to install a firmware
    Dont do anything in that screen... just turn off PS3
    Is just a test for you to see the PS3 is stil "alive" and it can be fixed by formatting the hdd

tabrani likes this.
  5. 20
    tabrani

tabrani Member

I currently don't have another hard drive (especially 2.5 SATA)...
    What if I remove the hard drive completely, is the PS3 going to boot up at all?

6. 7,066
    sandungas

Yes, good idea, i think the firmware has another warning screen for that... it will tell you to connect an hdd

If you see that warning messages it means the lower steps of the firmware bootchain are loading correctly (is booting from the files inside NOR flash, that is only 16mb size)

tabrani likes this.
  7. 12,892
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@sandungas , you are correct. I once tried to boot the system up without an hdd. iirc, it boots to a dimmed screen like it's going to the xmb, then the warning appears.

tabrani and sandungas like this.
  8. 20
    tabrani

tabrani Member

@sandungas @pinky
    I removed the hard drive. The PS3 booted (thankfully). I got the following message on the screen:
    "Cannot start.
    The appropriate system storage was not found."...
    I tried to boot to Safe Mode, and I got the same message.

I can't believe that this happened... I injected an official cert (https://dl.cacerts.digicert.com/DigiCertSHA2HighAssuranceServerCA.crt).
    The worst thing I thought would happen is that the cert will simply be ignored by the system... I never thought it will stop the PS3 from booting up...
    So because of a file that's 1.17KB, I now have to format a 160GB hard drive that's full of games, and re-install everything... This is absolute BS from Sony and their shitty security system.
    They basically added this measure simply to punish anyone who tries to play around with their PS3...
    So please add a WARNING in the SSL injector topic/page for other innocent people so this doesn't happen to them... This is a painful experience...

Final question please: is the Formatting absolutely necessary : ( :'( ?
    If yes, what do I do? Do I just plug the hard drive into PC and format it as EXT4 or something?

Unbelievable..

9. 2,688
    Berion

Berion Developer

I don't know what is the real problem with Your PS3 (I doubt the reason is SSL inj). ;p

But I can tell You that whatever You will write in this HDD on PC is transparent to PS3 because she use her own partition table and create various encrypted per mother board partitions (some UFS2, some FAT32, some raw). Without EID Root Key, You will not read or write anything from user partitions (and on HAN consoles this key cannot be obtained, only CFW users can). Consider this storage as mass storage in phones or tablets which their structure are predefined by the low level systems, rather than PC OS like Windows/Linux/macOS which they adapt met environment.

So... if You destroy partition table (just write first 512 sectors any data), HDD goes clean for PS3 and ask for format.

However, it's a good idea to make sector by sector copy and keep it somewhere. Just in case one day, our wise guys figure out how to get access to lower part of the system and You will be able to get Your keys (and i.e decrypt HDD content).

You can also/instead just get CECHxx up to CECH-25xx (with some exceptions) which are fully hackable and You have full control over them on CFW.

tabrani likes this.
  10. 7,066
    sandungas

As a minimal... is needed to delete the data on the first sector of the hdd... thats the first 512bytes of it
    After that data is deleted, when you connect the hdd again to PS3 is imposible for the PS3 to find any "sony info" in it so is treated as new/empty and the PS3 will format it

To achieve that is enought to connect it to a PC with windows, it will show you a message with something like "found a new device, do you want to initialize it?"
    If you acept that initialization all the "sony data" inside the hdd is lost forever

Optionally you can format it entirelly for a manteinance... you can even perform a "surface scan" to see if is in good condition to work relliablelly in the PS3 for the next years

Which thread needs a warning ?... i think most of that tools had warnings already

tabrani likes this.
  11. 20
    tabrani

tabrani Member

My PS3 was working fine. I injected the SSL certificate, turned it off. Turned it on again, and voila, no longer boots!
    So the only thing to suspect is the SSL injection.
    If you want to test it on your console, try injecting this certificate: https://dl.cacerts.digicert.com/DigiCertSHA2HighAssuranceServerCA.crt (I called it CA60.cer to be more precise :D)
    If you lose your hard drive, you don't know me and I don't know you lol :D

12. 20
    tabrani

tabrani Member

Thanks a lot for your help. I will see what I can do.

About the warning, this thread (http://www.psx-place.com/threads/ps3xploit-v3-ssl-certificate-injector-remover.17200/) as well as the related Github page, they don't warn us about "possibly" making our PS3s unbootable :p
    I don't have the time, otherwise I would have tried injecting the SSL again, to make sure it's the actual reason for this problem. But I don't want to go through this nightmare again :p

13. 20
    tabrani

tabrani Member

Update:
    I formatted the hard drive (I used a SATA to USB cable, I formatted it to exFAT, it took a couple of seconds (160 GB)).
    I re-installed the firmware and now the PS3 is working fine again...
    So there is no problem with the PS3.
    All the evidence suggests the injected SSL certificate caused all of this crap...
    SO I ENCOURAGE ALL PEOPLE NOT TO INSTALL SSL CERTIFICATES UNLESS YOU WANT TO WIPE OUT YOUR HDD.

And thanks to everyone who helped in this thread (y)

Berion and esc0rtd3w like this.
  14. 7,066
    sandungas

In some PS3 models (with NAND or eMMC flash type) the problem is even bigger, in some way you was lucky because your PS3 is NOR flash (so it stores the certificates in hdd)
    In the other PS3 models with NAND and eMMC formatting the hdd is not going to resurrect the PS3 because the corrupted certificate is inside the real flash (a chip soldered in the motherboard)

If it happens in a PS3 with NAND then you need to attach a flasher to the flash chip of the motherboard to be able to read/write it, either by soldering wires or with a flash "clip"... also is needed to mention this PS3 models has the data "splitted" in 2 NAND chips (so the flasher work needs to be made two times, one for every NAND chip)

If it happens in a PS3 model with eMMC flash this is mortal (i think)... because as far i know there is no way to "solder" in the motherboard to access the eMMC chip, and doesnt exists any "clips" (because the eMMC chip doesnt have "pins" but BGA solder balls under it)

---------------------
    Btw, some time ago a problem like this arised in a tool named "SEN enabler" for CFW, it had a bug that created a corrupted certificate when trying to "spoof" the firmware version

The solution was the same... for NOR is needed to format hdd... and for NAND is needed a flasher... and for eMMC this scenario cant happen because superslim PS3 models cant run "SEN enabler"

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    tabrani likes this.
  15. 20
    tabrani

tabrani Member

@sandungas
    Thanks a lot for the useful information.
    I never thought playing with SSL certificates (especially just injecting a new one that has nothing to do with the core ones) can lead to such a mess. This is why a warning in the SSL injector thread must be added in my opinion. It will save many lives.
    And I don't see a technical reason why the PS3 has to stop from booting because it found a non authentic certificate. Why not just ignore it and boot up normally? This is basically Sony punishing anyone who messes around with their hardware. That's so evil lol

esc0rtd3w likes this.
  16. 7,066
    sandungas

I guess there is not a warning explaining this in detail because the explain is long, a warning needs to be the most short and explicit posible, but im bad writing this kind of warnings because my english is not so good and i use to derrail and brainstorm a bit
    But if someone wants to write something (a couple of sentences, and even a link to this thread) post it in the forum, tell me the link of the thread and i will add it

esc0rtd3w and tabrani like this.
  17. 1,281
    esc0rtd3w

esc0rtd3w Developer

Hacker
    Home Page:
    i only tested installing the Official PS3 certs from /flash to make sure they copied OK

i will add some info to the OP about this soon.

Berion, sandungas and tabrani like this.
  18. 28
    Jean_pierre_Jean

Jean_pierre_Jean Member

Hello !
    i want to add my own certs on PS3 and see all connection .
    How can i do it ? That PS3 trust my certs and shows me all connections under ssl

19. 8,441
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

I read something about this but not sure where. I think the hashes for all certs are stored somewhere. So if you replace a cert you also need change it's hash.

@kozarovv or @esc0rtd3w might know a bit more.

20. 28
    Jean_pierre_Jean

Jean_pierre_Jean Member

yes... heard the same that certs hashed... very very need info how to add my certs and geting hashed it
    never vorked with it and adk how to hashaed it