PS3 Ps3 motherboard

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Jared2jz, Oct 12, 2019.

1. 30
    Jared2jz

Jared2jz Member

So ive seen a ps3 handheld on youtube obviously custom built my question is the size and the motherboard because a ps3 motherboard is way larger than that of the portable device that was created. My question is can the board be cut/ split in some way? How is a ps3 handheld possible......id like to build my own[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

2. 1,692
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    With PlayStation2s and Wii's the Motherboards can be trimmed down almost to 70% Factory Spec, and they are low powered consoles, they don't require a high amount of power delivery, besides a 8V battery pack, specially the PS2 Slim, i don't know how much the Wii needs, but i bet its the same.

Now with the PlayStation3 its a different story, the motherboard cannot be trimmed down as far as i am aware, active cooling is needed, or you'll risk burning the chips themselfs, even at the latest Super Slim revision, not to mention the power supply needed its almost 160W for the last revision, that is the Super Slim, no Battery Pack will be able to feed that Desktop Grade GPU and the CELL.

Unless you have technical knowledge and board schematics, and a common sense on how the machine works, then it might be possible, but realistically speaking, a Portable PlayStation3 its out of the question, id say its fake, the only real knowing working Portable PlayStation3 Unit was made by Ben Heck somewhere of 11 years ago, which has a Laptop shape to it, that you could cram a PS3 Hardware inside, but a PS VITA Size PS3 its out of the question.

Trivia Fact: This video was filmed around 2009,so you'd had two options back in the day either a brand new Slim CECH-2000 DYI-001 Board, or the Smallest CECHP VER-001, which both boards are too big to be trimmed down, and if you listen closely to the PS3 Buzzer you'll hear it at a distance, something tells me that its just a DUALSHOCK3 PCB Paired with a Screen and a Custom Board done by streaming, but around 2009 Streaming was pretty much unheard off,so i bet he is using an Antenna Receiver through the Analog Port, via a Custom Antenna RF Receiver through the display,which doesn't need to be connected through an RF Cable, as long as the PS3 is within range, the transmission will be displayed just fine.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    amirzaim, Kier_1234657 and T.A.U like this.
  3. 5,801
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

I think is a fake
    I know to build some of that custom portable consoles there is people that cuts the motherboard, and then they restores the connections of the cut with wires, but this could be made with an old console
    In a PS3 motherboard there are like 7 internal layers of circuits "inside" the motherboard, if you cut it you will need to restore hundreds of lines, probably thousands, all them with wires, and is unviable
    Also, a lot of that lines are originally "shielded" with ground against interferences... if you replace the line by a wire the amount of interferences is going to be huge... up to a point that simply is not going to work
    Also, that kind of solders requires insane skills
    And... the amount of wires doesnt fits inside a portable console

Not to mention the heatsinks and fan... where are located in that photo ?
    The original heatsinks of the PS3 weights like 200grams of metal... what he did, replace them by a dorito ?

4. 30
    Jared2jz

Jared2jz Member

Yeah what you guys say makes sense ....so the laptop shape would a laptop battery be powerful enough to get full functionality? Also if so how long would it last

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

5. 581
    amirzaim

amirzaim Member

If PS3 portable were possible, it will be freaking heavy and really impractical. You will not stand of holding 1-2kg of portable device more than 5 minutes, unless you want to work out.

From that video, it seems fake as the person in that video seems likely to connecting his PS3 console to the "portable" unit which actually acts as a mini display, rather than cramming PS3 mobo around portable chasis.

6. 1,692
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    No, all the PlayStation3s Laptop Projects that were made, all use the same PlayStation3 Power Supply Block, meaning you'll have to connect it to a wall each time you want to power on the machine, again thoes are Desktop Grade CPU/GPUs, they need at least 200W on the Power Supply, there is no Battery Pack that will provide that amount, this isn't a Low TDP Mobile Chip we are talking about, the PlayStation2 its a low 15W Console, that's for the 77000 Slim, this is why you can make it portable with a Battery Pack,now on the PlayStation3 its much more than that, i don't know for sure how much but the CELL should be around 75/80W of TDP and the RSX since is based around the 7800GTX its another 75/80W,since its a gimped version of the 7800 which is 86W according to Nvidia's Spec Sheet.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk