PS3 PS3 slim 2000 running toasty

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by JakubPerhac, Aug 19, 2019.

1. 2
    JakubPerhac

JakubPerhac Forum Noob

Hi guys, I have a PS3 slim 2000 model, and I'm running the latest Rebug CFW on it. The problem is that my console hits about 80°C both on CPU & RSX, even when playing a non graphically intensive game for even like 20 minutes (I played Disgaea 3 just to be clear). I had to turn of Dynamic fan control in webman and change it back to SYSCON otherwise the console sounds like a vacuum cleaner on bootup.

The console has been bought from a Cex shop here in the UK. Something like Gamestop in US although not as bad.

I still have warranty on it, so should I get a replacement console from them, or I could change the thermal paste on both the CPU and RSX? And every disc I put in it gets quite warm and toasty, even after a few seconds of being in the console...

2. 5,391
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

You are confusing 2 different things

With the fan spinning at high speed you have a better cooling (and more noise annoyances) but in this mode the temperature should stay under control... the noise is not an indicative of high temperature (is the other way around... high noise = low temperature)

And when you change the fancontrol to syscon mode you are disabling it and the PS3 does the fancontrol with the factory settings. The factory speed settings are low (in general) so probably you are having the overheats in this mode (low noise = high temperature)

3. 2
    JakubPerhac

JakubPerhac Forum Noob

Yes but if I change the thermal paste, (I read that the TIM sony uses is utter crap) will the temps improve at least a bit? The noise in Dynamic fan control is unbearable as it sounds like it is going at about 80%

4. 5,391
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Before takig that decission you should make some temperaure tests, tring to take temperature meassures in the most stable points (to allow you to compare later in that same points after your mainteinance work)

If you post the results of some good tests here in the forum we could give you some suggestion... but without accurate tests personally i prefer to dont give my oppinion

You know... a temperature sample taken at a random point (while temperature is varying) doesnt means anything, it doesnt have any value to disgnostic if there are problems, and cant be considered a serious test

5. 6,684
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    You can set the speeds and temperatures exactly the way you want, you have more options than just on or off for dynamic fan control.

6. 730
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    Also, CEX WILL NOT EXCHANGE YOUR PS3 if you remove the security sticker.
    If you open the ps3 to change the thermal paste, then that's the ps3 you'll have to keep.

Honestly... I'd take it back. They are usually pretty cools dudes, so just ask for what model numbers they have.
    Dont mention temps or CFW, they wont exchange it based on that too. Say it sometimes turns off on its own. That's should be enough, it's under their warrenty after all.

In general, CEX is dog poop. They may offer the most money when selling in goods, but their "testing" is just turning the console on, checking it connects to Internet, checks it plays dvd/bluray/game and that's it.

7. 750
    Sdw100

Sdw100 Moderator

ENGINEER
    Cex is terrible for electrical goods they do not test properly they just offer as little then try sell for as much as possible thats the end game for them

8. 730
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    Same for Gamestop, eb Games, cash converters etc etc.
    The funny thing is, this is a terrible business model, as time goes on, they hold more and more stock that's getting older and older and depreciates in value. I feel there will be similar dealings like when blockbuster went bust. Mass liquidation of stock which, on the plus side for us, will be cheap as hell.

I totally missed the boat on blockbuster. So many games to have been had.

I'm ready this time lol

Sdw100 likes this.
  9. 11,557
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

oh, yeah. my friend bought mega man x3 from a local rental place called quality closeouts. he got it for like $5 before the business went belly up. that game goes for over $100 on ebay. they produced very few of that game, since the playstation was coming out. the playstation version has remixed music, so imo, it's better. too bad the mm x collection on the switch uses the snes version. anyway, I've been wanting that game. I have carts of mm 1-6 and mmx 1 and 2. mega man x3 and 7 are both very expensive, so I can't buy them.