PS3 PS3 Slim Blackout, delid = GLOD, lesson learned

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by pure3d2, Feb 14, 2020 at 7:07 PM.

1. 28
    pure3d2

pure3d2 Forum Noob

I had a PS3 slim CECH-3001A with the blackout problem. It would power on, get the green light, then after about 6 seconds, it would power off completely (no red light).

I opened her up and then checked for any power shorts on the mosfets and other places near the power connector, all looked good. I also checked the fuses and they were good.

I recall some have said it could be an overheating problem. All of the paste was bone dry so I decided to delid. The CELL delid went fine, no damage. I heated up the RSX for a bit and then delid it. The last memory chip at the far corner came off with the IHS! I was very gentle with it. Upon closer inspection, the chip that came off had a lot more thermal glue than the other 3.

I decided to hook everything back up and see what would happen. It didn't turn itself off after 6 seconds. I just got the green light indefinitely, so GLOD.

Had I not killed the RSX, I think it would have come back to life. In the future, I will use a razor to cut all 4 corners under the RSX IHS to prevent this from happening again.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 7:54 PM
  2. 186
    wrx884

wrx884 Member

Interesting most black out issues on slims ive found it to be the BT/wifi module has shorted out, mayb check around that see if u find any shorts there? obviously this wont work until u do an RSX replacement but it might at least show u if u had another issue? interesting u got GLOD after damaging the rsx tho so mayb this isnt an issue as i would have thought regardless if this module has a short it should still behave in the same way upon its self boot checks, then again i haven't damaged the RSX on same symptom console to really say yes or no.

how much heat did u put on the RSX IHS? unfortunately because these are newer, their strength will be a lot greater than the older systems prior as they haven't started to break down yet so generally a little more heat than what u usually would use helps on these models. no need for the razors ive found anyways.

Yugonibblit and ElGris like this.
  3. 28
    pure3d2

pure3d2 Forum Noob

I heated it up using my hot air station set to 160C for about 90 seconds. Maybe I need to either do it hotter or for a longer period of time. I think pushing a razor into each corner will help release the tension so that when the IHS is pried, then the thermal glue would be more inclined to break up in pieces vs staying as one blob.

4. 37
    Squiglemouse

Squiglemouse Forum Noob

Seems like that may be a bit much heat wise. Everything I've read suggests just hot to the touch. Not burning.

Yugonibblit and ElGris like this.
  5. 185
    ElGris

ElGris Member

You damaged the RSX but that RSX was already dead. That's why you had that blackout, and as @wrx884 said, those generally comes with a short, and in this case, obviously the thing shorting was the RSX, that's why you now have a GLOD. By damaging one ram chip you deactive the RSX (what I think it happened), and then the short dissappeared. This is very, very common on super slims, the RSX will go generally in short, due many capacitors being in bad shape.

Some RSX are fixiable by removing said capacitors, but mostly this requires a RSX change. I have 2 SSs boards with this problem..

And btw, the next time, apply heat while you're trying to take off the IHS (I used 400ºC for about 3 minutes while doing this). And be gentile with the screwdriver, if you use one. What I do is putting a flat screwdriver, and from time to time I try to twist it, by doing that you are creating a minimum force in just one point, slowly and calm, try this until the IHS looses.

P/S: I think the razor method is a bit risky for me :D

Algol likes this.
  6. 186
    wrx884

wrx884 Member

yeah id go more heat up around the 250* at minimum, the IHS still has to soak up that heat so the time ur giving is very small for it to soften enough. i find these consoles seem to vary in heat and times slightly but u can pretty much just by feel, u can feel when its ready to release. just remember if u use the razors these will act as heat sinks as well so keep in mind u may need to do it for a tad longer again.

7. 4
    witek-pl

witek-pl Member

Razor method is very dangerous. I tried this with my PS3 Slim (CECH-2504B). Almost damaged RSX. Infact I made a litle damage on edge laminat surface (lucky nothing important is here). In my case glue on ram chips is hard like hell, no chance to cut it. Only hotair will help (off coz area around the chip must be covered/protected).

Yugonibblit likes this.
  8. 28
    pure3d2

pure3d2 Forum Noob

I didn't mean using razors to lever the IHS off. I mean use razors to make a triangle cut into each corner (memory chip) so that after heating up and using a screwdriver (protection material between RSX and screwdriver) to lever it off. Cutting into the thermal glue a little bit helps break the surface tension.

9. 186
    wrx884

wrx884 Member

yeah i knew what u meant, it was pretty self explanatory. but really not needed.

10. 332
    Luisile

Luisile Member

My general rule is not deliding anything above 25xx series. some have weird plastic on edge of the cell and some like superslims cell is solderred to ihs same like amd cpu`s.

Algol likes this.