PS3 Slim help

Discussion in 'Hardware Mods' started by Dashing21, Jul 2, 2019.

1. 27
    Dashing21

Dashing21 Member

Hello everyone!

I have this slim (2004B - 250 GB) from like 6 years. Been all good till 2016 which I downgraded it and jailbroke it (from a shop). All went good but then suddenly I had that yellow light of dead which was fixed by the same guy. Anyways, the ps3 went good but started to freeze a lot. I tried to rebuild it's database from the recovery menu but I never managed to get in recovery menu (sounds dumb but it's true). The next day when I tried to turn my Ps3 on, it turned on but I couldn't see anything on the T.V. Here are some things that I have tried.

1. Changed from AV cables to HD cable, didn't work. Cables are all working.
    2. TV was turned on so it's not from the TV side.
    3. DS3 doesn't connect to PS3, even if connected with a cable.
    4. When you press the eject button, you hear a beep only.
    5. Tried a different HDD

So please help me out with this, some people do call this green light of death but I doubt because after I turn the system on, it doesn't turn off by itself unless you unplug it.

2. 1,785
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    The problem with YLOD is that, it got fixed by the wrong reasons, instead of changing something basic,which are the NEC/TOKIN Capacitors, as they cause freeze and instability when feeding the RSX, you either got your board reflowed or reballed, which was unnecessary.

If your PS3 turns on,but there is no HDD Activity,or DualShock3 sync, then your GPU is dead, the substrate is done for, thus the GLOD, and why did that happend? Reball or Reflow, now you can thank your repair guy,for following the YLOD repair trend.

Your only choice its to get a replacement GPU, thats the only way i see it.

We had a lad with a B01 having the same issue, and a RSX replacement is advised,but in all honesty,i would search for another unit if i were you,not worth finding a new GPU, and getting the machine reballed,because even after reballing,you will still have to replace the RSX Capacitors or else it will cause the YLOD all over again, Sony fixed this issue on the preceding models, 2100 and upwards,by switching to more reliable tantalum capacitors, i own a 2004B myself, although it hasnt got much use,its my torture test machine, it still running the original factory capacitors,but when the day arrives, that it will show me a YLOD, ill have 94% certainly that the capacitors will be dead, my most recent capacitor replacement was a original PAL 60Gb PS3,works till this day,running with the original solder-joints,never reballed.

ntodek likes this.
  3. 27
    Dashing21

Dashing21 Member

So changing the motherboard will work because as i mentioned, we do not have experienced guys here. Where can i get a cheap one and are there any things which i need to keep in mind ?

Or is there any other way ?

4. 1,785
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    You can change the motherboard, but i am sure that would cost as much as a used unit, the motherboard that you need for your model its the DYN-001 (2000 Series), although you can find a SUR-001 from a 2100 Series, noticeable changes are the removal of NEC/TOKINs from the RSX,meaning you dont have to worry about YLOD and replacing them,and the shrunk 65nm RSX to 45nm, not to mention this board still uses a External BD Dautherboard,which makes your BD Drive compatible.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    ntodek likes this.
  5. 6,105
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Remove the internal hdd and try to boot the PS3 without it @Dashing21
    Thats a good way to see if it has video signal... it should display a warning text on screen

Sdw100 likes this.
  6. 27
    Dashing21

Dashing21 Member

Tried that, didn't work @sandungas. Looks like I will have to look for a new unit. Thanks everyone for the help.

Tags: