PS3 PS3 slows down with too many files installed?

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by ecto, Apr 16, 2019 at 5:40 AM.

1. 44
    ecto

ecto PSX-Place Supporter

I have a strange new observation to share:
    I have a 1tb internal HDD and a lot of it is full with PS2 ISOs and installed game data and PSN games. Last time I checked I had <60Gb of free space.
    As I was fiddeling with some of the installed software (Star Ocean 2 (PS2), Beyond Two Souls (PS3) and Netflix) I noticed some video stuttering and audio drops.
    At first I thought it was some homebrew that got in the way and tried wMM, sMan and Managunz to boot the games but it made no difference.
    Now I took some of the installed PSN games and converted them to ISOs to free some internal space. (Yay to PSNLiberator!! :D)
    I have now around 70Gb of free space and the stuttering is gone!

Has anyone else noticed someting like this?

2. 1,271
    psykosis

psykosis Developer Developer

1. ISO run faster than JB folders
    2. As your drive gets closer to full (usually above 90%ish), it will take longer to read/write. Just the nature of the game.

T.A.U and ecto like this.
  3. 44
    ecto

ecto PSX-Place Supporter

1. I read another report just like mine some minutes ago, and the same was suggested. I'll try to converst more psn games to ISO then. Especially the larger ones like Infamous or Ni no Kuni.
    2. Do you mean the physical reading/writing in the outer sectors of the hdd? So that buffering (like netflix) becomes slower? Or do you mean that the file system ist bloated and the PS3 needs more "computing time" for reading/writing?

In any case this explains a lot!

4. 1,271
    psykosis

Think of it like a checkerboard. But all black squares. Every square written turns white. When most of the squares are black, it's easy to write, but as your drive fills, that's more surface area the drive head has to pass over to obtain free space to write to. (I know discs aren't checkerboards, or square, and discs are divided into sectors/clusters not squares, but this is majorly simplified to make it a lot more understantable)

Considering that the stream has to come in, and be processed by application means some kind of temporary file or hard drive access is going to happen. Especially if the absolutely limited RAM of the ps3 is full. File read and write access start to degrade in performance. I would recommend getting ps3netsrv working and moving ps3 iso to there and host them across the lan. If the PS3 is on wire, the pc can be wireless and I notice minimal to no stutter at all.

T.A.U, umart666 and ecto like this.
  5. 44
    ecto

ecto PSX-Place Supporter

On the internal drive I only have the game folder with my PSN purchases, some PSP remasters and the game install data. Also of course the PS2ISOs and PSPISOs.
    I totally wiped the hdd before transferring the game folder and the PS2ISO folder, so I was hoping, that the files shouldn't be fragmented that much.
    I have my PS3 ISOs on an external ntfs drive, so that they don't take up that much space on the internal hdd.
    Yet the memory issue makes sense and I will try to clean up the drive even more!

6. 564
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

My own experience is that inFamous does not work when converted to ISO using PSN Liberator. I tried the same thing when trying to free up space. Some games work when converted to ISO (which can be run from USB), whereas others will need to be in PKG format instead.

T.A.U likes this.
  7. 1,271
    psykosis

I use my apps to make ps3 iso
    They use cobra genps3iso 2.0 mostly. A couple of them gave you options on which version you preferred (2.0, 2.1, 2.5, etc)

T.A.U likes this.
  8. 403
    umart666

umart666 Member

in my experience only makeps3iso from irisman works 100 percent of times.

sandungas and T.A.U like this.
  9. 1,271
    psykosis

Irisman is the only backup manager that uses internally the same source code of makeps3iso
    The ISOs generated by genps3iso are going to work in lets say... 99% of the times
    This is because the ISO format generated by genps3iso is not compatible with a few games, are very few so you are going to find people telling you that genps3iso is 100% relliable... but this is "based in his experience" because they have not "hitted" with this few incompatible games

Is the most accurate information you can get regarding the ps3 iso generation. I think nekrovert 4.66 (which needs no updates to work with 4.84) has makeps3iso as an additional option as well. https://www.psx-place.com/resources/nekrovert.547/
    Additional ISO Generators:
    • Genps3iso by the cobra dev team (Cobra Optical Drive Emulator For PS3)
    - versions: 2.0,2.1, 2.3, 2.4 (default), 2.5
    • Estwald(Hermes) makeps3iso.exe
    Mind you I haven't touched app dev on it in quite a while, and moved onto other apps since :)

T.A.U likes this.
  10. 403
    umart666

umart666 Member

that's why i said 'in my experience'.i'm not saying i'm an expert in this field,far from that.

even on PC,makeps3iso from rudi rastelli's PS3 ISO TOOLS V2.22 doesn't work reliably and only when is replaced with patched makeps3iso from irisman is really,really reliable.

i've played with infamous Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Trilogy HD,and only that way i've managed to make reliable backup of it.

11. 1,271
    psykosis

I'm thinking of revisiting ps3 iso generation, due to this patched irisman thing i wasn't aware of..... do you happen to have access to this particular exe? I would be interested in adding it to one of my current beta projects

Attached Files:

T.A.U likes this.
  12. 403
    umart666

umart666 Member

don't take my word for it,i'm just a random ps3 user from the net,i didn't come up with this,all credits go to Sandungas:

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/ps3-best-program-to-convert-to-iso.21947/

13. 1,271
    psykosis

14. 403
    umart666

umart666 Member

i'm hoping for it getting released! :)

15. 455
    lmn7

lmn7 Developer

I've always read the contrary, that creating ISO's makes loading times longer (seems logical to me too because it has to decrypt the data from the ISO while playing). But anyway, I doubt 10GB would've made that much of a difference. IMO, you probably just had a bad sector/corrupted file on the drive.

16. 403
    umart666

umart666 Member

i'm not sure what are you referring to,but in my own personal experience from the same files,same discs,genps3iso on the PC and all other options on the ps3's and multitude of hdd's other than irisman would not make reliable backups.sometimes they work,sometimes they work partially,sometimes not at all.

irisman is rock stable for years and i was using it until Sandungas posted this solution,that also works without any issues.

i'm not saying other methods aren't legit.i just posted my own so someone who's reading this have other options,just in case.in my book options is always a good thing.

17. 1,271
    psykosis

This is an updated (beta) that has defaulted the Estwald(fix) [aka makeps3iso.exe from PC_ps3iso_utilities_with_src_v1.9.zip]
    https://mega.nz/#!66Qx3IBb!tcaYbVQdA1Ozr5f9YOTGw2lXlOWPQ3XlZUFRemqnEp8
    I call it build C1. the only other change is the opacity to 80% to allow you to see behind it a bit (but not too much)

It currently is a proxy server to allow 4.82+ online, ps3netsrv, and ps3 iso generator.

EDIT: I should add, at your own risk, blah blah.. etc... I ran it on one folder so far, split and non split and both worked fine on my rebug 4.84.2 w/ 1.47.15 webmanMOD :)

sandungas likes this.
  18. 5,564
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Home Page:
    I dont think so, it is not encrypted, You know yourself copying 1 big file is quicker than copying lots of tiny files, same with FTP, there is a overhead reading and writing the data for every file name individually. This translate to quicker loading times afaik.

lmn7 likes this.
  19. 403
    umart666

umart666 Member

in my opinion,iso's are simpler,more elegant,with cobra doesn't require any patches to work,updates are automatically dl'd straight from the net,transferring them is simpler,quicker and more elegant...i use iso's exclusively for some time and can't go back to digital download form let alone folders.

20. 1,271
    psykosis

I forgot to add this:

Attached Files: