PS3 turn off suddenly

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by DarkPhate91, Dec 12, 2016.

1. 2
    DarkPhate91

DarkPhate91 Forum Noob

Hi there, I have a problem with my PS3 Fat buyed on 2008 and with no problem.
    From some weeks I have some problems, when I'm playing with dynasty warriors 8 the ps3 turn off suddenly with 3 beeps, and with the red led flashing... If I touch the Turn on button, led come back normal like the ps3 is turned off, and if I turn on ps3 start with the classic message to fix the file system.

Now this problem happen very often, in tekken tag 2 after the starting videos, when I push start the PS3 turn of with beeps.

Is overheating? The problem doesn't appear with movie, PS3 works good for hours when play movie

I have tried: some CFW, also no-BD CFW, actually I have ferrox 4.81 with latest webman mod
    Another hard disk, but same problem

If you need other information, I can give you, thanks to all and sorry for my bad english :)

2. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

Sounds like possible ylod to me... Despite the fact you can read movies for hours without problems...
    I don't see how noBD would help with this issue in any case.
    You already tried using another hdd so hdd/file system is not the problem..

Does the power led briefly flash yellow just before it starts blinking in red...?
    What temperature do the CPU & RSX run at when the xmb is idle? After 15mn gaming?
    At what fan setting?
    You can use the web command from a PC or smartphone on your LAN to get the temps & fan values.
    Code:
    http://ps3-ip-address/cpursx.ps3
    You don't mention temps at all, have you been regulating the fan yourself using dynamic or manual fan control? Or has the console been running on syscon settings all this time?

@baileyscream
    Do you have any other suggestions?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    baileyscream likes this.
  3. 308
    baileyscream

baileyscream Member

As soon as it turns off can you get it to turn back on right away or do you have to wait for a length of time?
    If it turns back on can you wait to see the xmb then press and hold the start and select buttons until you hear 2 fast beeps
    Top right you will now see the temps and other info
    Can you take a pic of that info and post it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bguerville likes this.
  4. 336
    Zoilus

Zoilus Member

its a 2008 machine, its going on 9yrs old with thousands of hours of use, eventually there will be problems lol . sounds like overheating but yeah YLOD seems to be where its going. START saving your game saves and anything else in there you want backed up like music, vids pics..etc because it may just die on you any day. When those symptoms happen....its a slippery slide downhill from there...usually. hopefully not, but usually.

5. 2
    DarkPhate91

DarkPhate91 Forum Noob

Today I tried to turn on PS3, after 4 attempts (turned on for a bit, two minutes later ps3 turned off and three beeps...):

CPU 34 °C
    RSX 31 °C
    FAN 38 % (some days ago I set this %, situation seems bad than before, now PS3 turn off in XMB menu)
    With default fan speed, I remember CPU was 56 °C

Sometimes before turn off, appear a yellow led...

Bailey,
    when the PS3 turn off, I can turn on ps3 immediately, no need time

6. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

You most likely got ylod as expected.
    The console turns itself off at 34C, you don't even have time to play...

You should stop using it altogether & focus on backing up the important information straight away. Backup at least the exdata folder in your home profile, your game saves, the eid_root_key & the cid. Consider synchronising your trophies with psn.

To get your ps3 fixed, you would need to take it to a professional for reballing. Don't do the DIY reflow fix with a paint stripper, the fix won't last if it ever works in the first place..
    Reballing should be under 50 bucks.

Note that nowadays a slim already on CFW is under 150 bucks... Might be time to change console...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  7. 308
    baileyscream

baileyscream Member

Just to add
    If the console is turning off to fast for you to save your data then try getting into webman settings and turn your fan speed up
    If that makes no difference apart from fan noise then get some shims for the two processors
    Once fitted they should help prolong the shut off time if not resolve it (for now)
    But once you have made backups still take it in for re-ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sdw100 and bguerville like this.