PS3__HEN and online patching games?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by allen8, Dec 4, 2019.

1. 5
    allen8

allen8 Forum Noob

I need some facts/advice on PS3hen installation, Say I already installed Ps3hen and its running fine now. Example old ps3 game (legit/no scratches) game disc installing itself mandatory setup, stuck at 60% for more than 3 hours. I believe this game needs online access to complete the update. So should I let ps3 be online inorder to finish the update. Also if I installed PS3..Hen can I play these type of games online if the disc is stilled inside, instead of backing it up to the hard drive, just to play online? I know the documentation says to stay off online?

Say I own the original fighting game on physical Disc game, am I allowed to play online with others on PSN_or can not? Or how does one disable/turn off Hen temporarily.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  2. 12,898
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

you don't need to be online to install game data.

3. 5
    allen8

allen8 Forum Noob

True for sure, but somehow I'm having trouble installing this one ps3 wolfen fps game. it was stuck at 70% couple of months. Now I left on for 3 hours stuck 11%. Had the tv off came back find out ps3 was shutoff, which was strange, and it didn't install game. Right now I'm thinking of wiping the hard drive clean, Noticed (unkown folder, can't delete). This is the only game that is giving me the issue. I would ultimately buy this game on steam or gog, maybe next year.

4. 7,075
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

The gamedata installs should complete normally offline, if they fails is either because the game files have some problem (source) or because the hdd have some problem (target)
    Is as simply as that, the problem should be in one of them, either source or target :)
    The only exception for this rule is if you use plugins, because plugins are running at the background at all times and they could interfer

To check the game files you need to do an IRD check... this would give you a confirmation that the source is ok
    And to check the hdd... well, thats a longer story, you need to do a "surface scan" in PC to see if it have some vague/damaged sectors... and eventually you should format it... or just try with a different (and healthy) hdd

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  5. 85
    neo88

neo88 Member

Taking into account that the HDD is encrypted, can I do a sector check and even use an option like remap with the Victoria program, would this cause any damage when I reintegrate the disk back into the console?

6. 7,075
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

The "surface scan" i mentioned doesnt modifyes the data, the only thing it does is to read the data of a sector and meassure the time required to access the data in it
    In other words is the same principle than the "latency" of RAM modules... you know, the lowest latency wins because the data is retrieved faster
    I use this program to do the surface scans https://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

The sector remapping rellies in the hdd BIOS, im not sure but i think it doesnt backups the data of the sector that is going to be remapped... just because if you are remapping a sector probably is because the data on that sector is already damaged so is pointless to try to preserve that damaged data

neo88 and Algol like this.