PS4 PS4 recommendation for modding

Discussion in 'PS4 Tutorials & Guides' started by gam101, Feb 1, 2019.

1. 37
    gam101

gam101 Forum Noob

Technology Plumber
    Aloha fellow-modders! :D

I'm currently running homebrew (Cobra 4.8.2) on a PS3 & I appreciate the tremendous help I've received here for that. :encouragement:

My questions is; what PS4 model(s) & firmware should I purchase if I want to achieve the same?

Secondly, any caveats I should be aware of for the PS4, as compared to the PS3?

I'm still amazed & appreciative of how well PS3 modding works, so I hoping the PS4 scenario is similar.

Thank you.:tears of joy:

2. 567
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

PS4 doesn't have CFW, you only have a homebrew enabler which needs to be enabled every time the console boots or you get out of a game. Needs to be on firmware 5.05 for this to happen

gam101 likes this.
  3. 11,648
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

yeah, you're limited quite a bit. I'm not sure if there is theme creator, but if you use a theme with its license, the theme will still be present even after shutting down of the system. however, if you swap themes, the theme's license won't be read anymore; in which case, you'll have to reinstall the theme license.'

I'm assuming that the theme is recorded in some database like it is on the vita. icons are in the appmeta folder also. you should be able to find pretty easily. you may have to change the name in the app.db.

gam101 likes this.
  4. 37
    gam101

gam101 Forum Noob

Technology Plumber
    Appreciate all that info.

So, is there a process/feature equivalent on the PS4 that equates to MultiMan?

And any model of PS4 can be modded as long it is on OFW 5.05 or less?

I am trying to understand how different the PS4 scenario is compared to the PS3 & appreciate the info. so far. @pinky @kadorna2

5. 2,119
    Berion

Berion Developer

@gam101 No. There is no backup manager or disc image mounting solution as it is not useful this time. All because of now all games are running from mounted package files (which before was used only for unpacking). There is a way to create free license packages from decrypted content but this is waste of time (could be nice if keystone extracting be easy and patches/DLC merging always works, but currently not). And in a matter of homebrew, nothing is interested besides some ID/keys dumping (like IDPS/partial IDPS or EAP Key; via i.e OrbisMAN) and a way to run Linux which offering more than native homebrews. Sad and painly. ;p But let's hope that this will change one day... I still put a hope in Mira gyus.

6.xx hack is totally disappointed and as I understood, temporary, online and SEN logged in depened.

All models but up to fw v5.05. And only HEN.

Totally different. ;)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    gam101 likes this.
  6. 37
    gam101

gam101 Forum Noob

Technology Plumber
    Wow! Apples & oranges uhhh! :eek:

And here I was assuming my limited knowledge of the PS3 with CFW was going to be of some use in understanding the PS4 scenario. :cool:

Regardless, I sincere appreciate the detailed reply.:smile new:

Please let me sum it up & correct me if/where I go wrong....

1) There is no CFW for PS4.
    2) There is no multiMan equivalent for the PS4 that enables backup management.
    3) The modding is limited to ;
    i) Allowing HEN for perhaps a future Homebrew
    ii) Running Linux
    iii) Dumping keys/ID's etc.

Did I miss anything?

7. 567
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

You can also play pirated games (yeah, we all know they are not "backups"...) but setting them up is a pain in the dick.

gam101 likes this.
  8. 11,648
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

dumping a game, creating a gp4, making a fake pkg, and installing can take around 2 hours depending on the game. if you're wanting to mod games, I'm not sure if that's possible without the game being installed and its resources scattered everywhere. I believe game and default icons are located in the appmeta, possibly the same appmeta (user/appmeta or system_ex/user\appmeta) . you may be able to make a fake update pkg to change things. I remember this being possible on the vita. I'm thinking mai dump tool created a fake pkg in order to use dlc or it may have been the save app.

gam101 likes this.