PS1 PSIO problems

Discussion in 'General PS1 Discussion' started by Grahf, Sep 21, 2019.

1. 341
    Grahf

Grahf Member

The whole PSIO flash cart is turning into one big joke.

At the end of 2018, there was a big update released which fixed (somewhat) XA audio, but people immediately reported major issues with it. Games like Final Fantasy VII and Resident Evil 2-3 play like crap, with random VRAM corruption or absurdly long load times/pauses. The PSIO devs kept promising fixes for about 8 months and then, finally, dropped a supposedly great firmware.

Turned out their fixes did nothing to the major games. After that, there were quick updates, one after another, but things still weren't improving. In fact, the current firmware introduced horrible stuttering in some major games. Obviously, people started complaining. The reaction?
    Can you believe it? Since when deleting complaints from your customers is a good idea? I was watching the whole situation for a long time and hoped for the best, but after I saw this message on the PSIO official forums, I had an alarm light going off in my head. This seems like a horribly unprofessional way to hide criticism from potential buyers.

To all people interested in this PS1 flash cart: monitor the situation closely and don't trust what the devs say.

gmipf, Maroon Storm, jolek and 2 others like this.
  2. 353
    Luisile

Luisile Member

I say only this. For me is the Psio usseles and overpriced.i own only not compatible ps1 models. Second i play ps1 games on my cfw Ps3. And guess when was the Last time i have powered on the ps1? Yeah right long long time ago..

3. 341
    Grahf

Grahf Member

I love my PS1 and I would gladly pay for a fully-compatible PSIO, but right now this flash cart doesn't play games like FF7 and RE2-3 properly. That's a big joke right there. Those are the biggest games on the system. If those games have problems, what about the less-known games?

And deleting posts on the official forums is the last thing you want to do because it creates distrust. It actually seems like they want to hide the complaints, so that potential buyers can't see them.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Maroon Storm, TnA and Algol like this.
  4. 341
    Grahf

Grahf Member

Apparently, the forums were locked down because some YouTube guy complained to Cybdyn that some poster on their forums called out youtubers for making sponsored videos.

INSANE. Everybody knows sponsoring is happening on social media. Why a complaint from some YT dude results in the forums being locked? Just ignore him and focus on fixing your shit, Cybdyn!

Maroon Storm and Algol like this.
  5. 189
    Fedor Wearing A Fedora

Fedor Wearing A Fedora Member

do you've a source? kinda curious who that youtuber is.
    being a fan of ODE's (owner of gdemu, usb-gdrom and the phoebe) the PSIO was on my radar, but the initial audio issues kept me away.
    recently i've switched to android for ps1 emulation, bought a decent tv box and now i finally can play ALL the games of my library on one system. so no more cdda/xa/fmv issues, no more glitches and no need for additional patching of libcrypt games.

6. 65
    MrMario2011

MrMario2011 PSX-Place Supporter

I own a PSIO and personally love the thing, although I haven't tried any of the problematic games mentioned here so I can't verify those issues. Although between the long shipping times and now shutting down their forums like this? Crazy to see this is how business is conducted.

The person you all seem to be speaking about by the way is Voultar, who had called out some forum posts on Twitter. His Tweet is still up here:

https://twitter.com/Voultar/status/1175454137653366784?s=19

Voultar does great work, I've also seen him be extremely critical of others and call them out on wrongdoings, which people either do or don't like about him. This isn't the first time he's called out the PSIO devs either. At one point they opened up a Patreon with one of their goals being to fund research to create a switch board free solution for the PSIO. Voultar had called them out for being a for profit company, wanting donations to further research and solutions for their own product. Cybdyn's Tweet is deleted, but again here's Voultar's Tweet on it:

https://twitter.com/Voultar/status/1131581309019729920?s=19

7. 341
    Grahf

Grahf Member

That post doesn't even directly mention this Voultar guy (no idea who he is - never watched any of his videos before). There's a quote of a different post with Voultar and MLiG being mentioned, but the post itself is just a generalization about the trolling in YouTube comments and paid reviews. The end is clearly sarcastic with "trillion dollars". Who would anyone lock down forums because of this? It's ridiculous!

Cybdyn wanted to crowd-fund research for a switch board free solution for the PSIO!? You've got to be kidding! That's crazy! They haven't even fixed the current PSIO. Before the forums got locked down, I kept an eye on the compatibility section and there are on-going issues with major games. Resident Evil 2-3 are still broken, despite multiple promises that they were fixed. I also saw that the newest firmware caused stuttering and crashes in some games (the ones named were Driver, Gran Turismo 1-2, Chrono Cross and FF7).

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Algol likes this.
  8. 341
    Grahf

Grahf Member

The forums are finally up and there's a dev post about the current issues. It seems they are serious about it after the pressure from the users. Let's hope for the best.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Algol likes this.
  9. 189
    Fedor Wearing A Fedora

Fedor Wearing A Fedora Member

Looks like despites all of cybdyn's efforts the chinese clones are here

upload_2019-10-4_17-50-47.png

10. 341
    Grahf

Grahf Member

Never buy those clones. They are cheaply made despite high prices and you get no support whatsoever. They use the ancient firmware with very low compatibility. If something goes wrong, you're stuck with a brick and good luck getting a refund from those Chinese scammers.

Cybdyn is actually great with customer support and their cart would be awesome IF it played games right. Let's see what this next firmware is going to change.

This is the most recent message from the PSIO dev:
    I just can't get over the fact that a public release was made BEFORE those games were "fixed"...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  11. 65
    MrMario2011

They definitely focused on games booting, so that way they could indeed say 99.8% of the PS1 library does "work" to some capacity.

And yes, I have no experience with those clones, but they aren't worth it from just a glance. The PSIO still has work to be done, so using an outdated firmware won't be doing you any favors. They're also quite ugly, and they're just as much or a tiny bit less than the PSIO itself. Not worth the price difference.

TnA and Algol like this.
  12. 341
    Grahf

Grahf Member

It's ridiculous to advertise the success ratio of booting games. Nobody is using a console to merely boot games.

Once - or rather, if - PSIO starts to actually play 99.8% of PS1 games properly, then I will recommend multiple copies to every PS1 fan since this a great device in theory and I'd personally want at least two copies (one as a spare). The problem is, right now it doesn't really work in practice. I don't care what it boots when I can't play games properly. I mean, come on, free emulators like XEBRA play PS1 games perfectly these days. The only reason to buy PSIO is if it plays games perfectly on real hardware. Nobody in their right mind is going to use a real PS1 to have games play worse than on emulators.

TnA and Algol like this.
  13. 341
    Grahf

Grahf Member

The PSIO dev posted promises of a re-written code which will fix most games. Let's wait and see how this goes. I'm especially curious about FF7.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  14. 4
    UltraTimeLord

UltraTimeLord Member

So I bought the PSIO off of Ebay brand new and had my psx modded recently & discovered through twitch chat that cybdyn lock their firmware behind a paywall. Had I known that, I probably wouldn't have bought it off of ebay. Now I'm stuck with a modded psx that cant play games stored on an sd card because it needs menu sys.

15. 65
    MrMario2011

Your best bet would be to contact the eBay seller to ask for the original order number as well as the email address used to place the order. Once you have those two, you can provide the serial number on your cartridge and get your download.

The PSIO seems to be an absolute nightmare in this regard for anyone buying a pre-modded PSIO system or a PSIO secondhand.

TnA likes this.
  16. 341
    Grahf

Grahf Member

If PSIO will get a firmware fixing the compatibility issues, then its devs have both the moral and legal right to protect their product with those registering procedures. Buying a cart like this from somebody else than its creator(s) kills any chances for better firmware updates as those Chinese cloners don't care about your experience. They only steal somebody's designs.

People should support Cybdyn by legitimate purchases... IF the thing starts to play games properly.

17. 65
    MrMario2011

Unless @UltraTimeLord purchased a clone, to me it reads like they bought a legitimate PSIO from a third party. Neither was confirmed or denied, although maybe I'm being a bit optimistic here? :indecisiveness:

Either way, it's a real and painful possibility which has already happened many times. I purchased and installed my PSIO on my own PS1. What's to say in 5 years I decided to pack it up and sell it to someone else? Legit hardware and purchase all around, but then the new owner could either lose the firmware file or is looking to update their legitimate PSIO. At that point they could either be dead in the water or stuck on an outdated version, unless they contact me for my purchase history.

18. 341
    Grahf

Grahf Member

Nothing stops you from doing that.

The e-mail address you use to buy PSIO isn't used later on
    . You only need to enter it on the Download page, so you can sell your PSIO with a piece of paper which has the e-mail address and order ID.

19. 4
    UltraTimeLord

UltraTimeLord Member

The product looks legit to me. I contacted the seller and he finally got back to me after several attempts of me emailing him. He said he acquired it through an auction, so I'm guessing ebay auction maybe. He didn't really provide many details. I'd like to add that I did not know about the locked firmware & yes you are right, it is an absolute nightmare to buy this product off of ebay especially for those people like me who did not know that this product uses firmware for it to function at all. I've definitely learned the hard way & I don't see myself buying anything from them now unless they come up with a solderless edition or a product that doesn't require soldering. PSIO has nagware that pops up every 67 seconds imploring you to re-acquire the firmware (my modder supplied me with the firmware but its useless cause of the locked firmware limitations) even though you already bought the flashcart through ebay (i'm certainly not going to buy another one especially after the seller denied my return request today) & you can't have more than 3 games on it unless you don't buy it directly from CybDyn or their affiliates. So basically the product is useless because the nagware doesn't go away, ever. PepeHands

BeFunky-collage (1).jpg BeFunky-collage1.jpg

20. 341
    Grahf

Grahf Member

Contacy Cybdyn via their Service Desk. If you can prove this is a genuine PSIO, they can help you out by checking its serial number.

Don't blame Cybdyn for some dude on eBay not giving you the order ID and registered e-mail. Every person who bought from Cybdyn was warned about this.

Algol likes this.