PSN vs ISO

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by unique, Oct 25, 2019.

1. 8
    unique

unique Forum Noob

I've been searching, but couldn't find it.
    is there difference in quality between PSN and BD version of same game?
    I've noticed PSN are usually smaller, so something must be lost.

thanks.

2. 147
    remlei

remlei Member

some PS3 games that is in digital format split their games into many parts, some of them only contains the necessary parts of the game, let's say drakengard 3, that game filesize in iso is around 25+gb, the digital version is around 14gb, this only contains the english assets of the game, if you want the japanese assets as well, you need to install the additional 10gb for the japanese pack. same thing with uncharted 3, that game released in english version is splitted in many parts, the base game is a multiplayer game that you can download free, if you want to play the single player game, you need at least the single player file and another package that i dont remember that contains the FMV of the game, both required for you to play the game properly. the total iso file size of uncharter 3 is around 43gb, the digital version with minimum english single player of the game only size around 18gb-ish, because you remove the big files like the 3D FMV and other language assets that you usually dont need.

3. 2,843
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    You can do this with ISOs as well reducing the size by removing extra lingo packs, vids in different lingos etc before converting it to ISO as its easier this way.

PS3 Tools Collection by @aldostools has a file rippper tool which will do this for you.

For example BO2 BLES01717 BD disc has both english and french lingos, you can then remove the french/english with this tool to reduce the size of the game before you convert to ISO format. What it does is remove the file but relaces it with a 0kb file maned the same as the one its removed so the game won't know the difference.

You could also do this manually with say DLC you have downloaded from PSN, game updates etc.

I myself do not really use ISO format, except for a few games that I have on ext HDD in NTFS format, but use JB folder format and doing this with files that are not needed has saved me a crap ton of HDD space and let me fit loads of my games, dlc etc onto the internal HDD of one of my PS3's.

It also saves you a lot of space as well on HDDs if your like me and backup everything downloaded from PSN so you don't have to keep re-downloading everytime you delete something or something goes wrong> I just FTP it back to the PS3 from one of my PC's.

Algol likes this.
  4. 8
    unique

unique Forum Noob

thanks.
    about JB folder format, some games install from virtual disk to internal hdd.
    so some files are probably duplicated.
    is there a way to know which files are safe to remove from virtual disk folder?

5. 147
    remlei

remlei Member

ah yes you can also do that on disc based games, but if you try to attempt to play parts of the game that requires to assets, the game will simply hang or crash, unlike the PSN version, it was designed to be modular so only asstets available it finds can only be used avoiding this crashes etc...

and some games doesnt go well with missing assets either specially on games that requires mandatory game data install making it display the infamous "Disc Read Error". So not all disc based game doesnt go well with trimming.

6. 5,904
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

You can hardlink those games so that doesn't happen. Trick that has been used since the PS1 & DC days to save space on disc and bandwidth when it used to be an issue.

bucanero likes this.
  7. 8
    unique

unique Forum Noob

superb.
    does ps3 filesystem support hardlinks?
    is there a way to make hardlinks using ftp? we can't telnet to ps3?
    or is there some ps3 program that can find duplicates and replace them with hardlinks?

8. 6,088
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Yes, the dev_hdd0 supports it because is an (unix based) UFS2 filesystem, theoretically it suports all kind of symlinks, softlinks, hardlinks and all that stuff
    In the last managunz version there is an option in the filemanager to create symlinks, take a read at the release notes of that last version, there is an explaination about how to create them

Btw... the PS3 firmware treats the game backup (either in ISO or JB format) as a real optical disc, i guess in theory you can create symlinks in both directions, from the hdd to the disc... or the other way around from the disc to hdd
    But in the practise is a lot better to create them from hdd to the disc, because this way you preserve the integrity of the files inside the ISO/JB
    You know... the point is if you delete/unisntall all files related with the game.... and several months later you try to run the ISO/JB it should be able to generate the "gamedata" files of the installation

Algol likes this.
  9. 12
    Fran23

Fran23 Forum Noob

Por supuesto que hay diferencias, pero solo en algunos juegos. La más notoria para mí fue The Last of Us en Fisico, ISO o JB demora demasiado los tiempos de carga, y la versión de PSN ya estás en gameplay en menos de 1 minuto XD. Te repito no en todos los juegos hay diferencias así de notorias, es cuestión de ver y probar.

Of course there are differences, but only in some games. The most notorious for me was The Last of Us in Physico, ISO or JB it takes loading times too long, and the PSN version is already in gameplay in less than 1 minute XD. I repeat not in every game there are notorious differences, it is a matter of seeing and trying.

10. 36
    SiegfreedOs

SiegfreedOs Forum Noob

i normaly go with the psn version of a game if it does have one mostly because of the habit of playing straight from xmb and the lack of necessity instaling game data on hdd

11. 91
    bucanero

bucanero Member

Home Page:
    oh yeah, I remember the good ol' Dreamcast days, so many downsizing tricks!
    e.g.: many disc images (like ISOs) had different language files re-linked, or audio channels re-linked (left audio file linked to right audio file) so the infamous GD-ROM (~1 Gb) could fit in a standard CD-ROM (~700Mb)

If someone wants to play around and re-link files in .ISO images, check these 2 tools:
    • Single File LBA Copier v1.8
    • Multiple File LBA Copier v1.3
    Both can be downloaded from my site: http://www.bucanero.com.ar/downloads/?dl_cat=2

Basically the idea is to put a dummy 0-byte file, and then use the LBA tool to link that dummy to the data file you want. E.g.: you make all the "French audio" files 0-byte, and then re-link all the English audio files to FR files. The ISO size will be greatly reduced but the game won't see the difference.

P.S.: the most advanced example I remember on DC was "Echelon" repack of Skies of Arcadia. Instead of downsizing or cutting stuff out, they actually built a custom on-the-fly decompressor for the whole disc. (and since they were already playing around, they added an in-memory trainer/cheat for the game) :D

12. 867
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    PSN is the best

13. 5,904
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Should check out YZB's SOA it has nothing ripped and no on the fly decompression shudder and fits on 80min disc. Made Echelons rip look like noob stuff

14. 91
    bucanero

bucanero Member

Home Page:
    oh I had no idea about YZB's rip, if I can find it I'll check it out. :) I'm curious to see how they did it.
    Perhaps they did some downsampling of audio or video files? :confused3:

I remember one Dreamcast "Alone in the Dark" rip where they actually swapped audio/video files from a PlayStation version (with lower resolution/size) so they could fit the whole game in a 80' CD. Creativity and tricks seem endless sometimes :D