PS3 [PSP Launchers] Problems and Research

Discussion in 'PS1/PS2/PSP on PS3' started by shodan2k, Mar 28, 2019.

1. 3
    shodan2k

shodan2k Forum Noob

Howdy everyone, my apologies for the lengthy introduction post. However, I've been trying to run some PSP backups through my PS3 and I've hit a bit of a wall right now.

A bit of background, I'm running REBUG 4.84.2 from 3.55 with Cobra enabled on a Fat CECHP01 Model PS3 and have been mounting PSP ISO files through both ManaGunZ and webMAN MOD and trying to launch them, after dumping and verifying them from their respective packages and FTPing them to my internal hard drive, I was running into a problem.

First off, when I initially installed the PSP Launcher, I installed the newest version by jjkkyu. Upon booting with no ISO mounted I was greeted by license renewal, which I was surprised to see for the first time upon running dozens of homebrew packages, in REBUG mode nonetheless. I dismissed it at first and tried it while mounting an ISO, glad to see the boot icon now appearing over the Launcher. However no matter what I did, once mounted and booting into any launcher, I would be forced into a black screen that would require a hard power cycle to fix. I tried again and again with different ISOs, different Launchers and fixes enabled over one another, I've tried multiple "PSP2PS3" .pkg creators with successful hash checks and all, and still, couldn't get any game past a black screen, no matter what I tried.

Until I came across this thread, trying to find a solution anywhere among PSX-Place, Reddit, and various other discussions. I've been trying to wrap my head around this for the past few hours but for some reason, the only way I am able to make .pkg or .ISOs of PSP games boot is through the method (partially) mentioned by DEX357:

1. Uninstall whatever existing PSP launchers/fixes there are.
    2. Install the [Official by Cobra] PSP Launcher on it's own (file name Cobra-USB_PSP-Launcher_v2.0.pkg etc etc)
    3. As DEX mentions, install Priority ON, because for some weird reason, it just works.
    4. Mount game through webMAN MOD/ManaGunZ and run the Launcher given Priority.

And now, confusingly, once the Launcher has been given priority on the list, it still asks for a license renewal, however, now I'm able to mount and fully boot into PSP ISOs in the mini launcher (and still have no luck with any Remasters Launcher thus far), as iffy as they might be (I've had some text bugs and controller delays in the one game I've tested so far, more soon) and as confused as I might be as well.

Here's what I'm wondering, just what is the preferred order of operations for PSP Launchers on CFW
    (i.e. order of launcher installation, what fixes to use), if there are any performance differences in general between the 2 launchers, and if possible, any advice on why this occurs. I understand it's still a bit of a known unknown around here but if there's any more info I can provide in order to troubleshoot I'd be happy to help.

2. 853
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School

This is how I do...

3. 328
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) Chillin like a Krillin
    Home Page:
    Weird, I am also on Rebug and my PSP launcher worked fine with the newest version of wMM. Can you try one of the games I tested with this launcher, perhaps Soul Calubur Broken Destiny? I got this launcher, I installed it, and it worked, I never had to adjust any settings.

mediafire.com/file/r8mjtn67ramo7z9/PSP_Laucher.pkg

aldostools likes this.
  4. 3,107
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

Not sure why so many ppl have a problem with PSP launcher.

Here's a quick check list

1. PSN Patch / SEN / webMAN MOD + syscall disabled <- please don't. This breaks / disables most COBRA features and I assume the OP didn't do that.

2. I use webMAN MOD to mount PSP games
    3. https://store.brewology.com/get/homebrew.php?id=247&fid=1239 <- this is the one that I use for testing PSP games.
    4. Compatibility with PSP games is horrible.

5. 853
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    It really is, very few of the games I wanna play is compatible... :(
    That's why I am getting an actual PSP :D

6. 47
    ecto

ecto PSX-Place Supporter

Hi, Idk but maybe I have a similar problem.
    I'm using CFW for about one year now starting with Rebug 4.82.2 on my PS3 slim 20xxA. PSP gaming ist quite tricky, but I have about 10 games running (pkg and ISO), and that's fine with me. Lately, all those games that definitely worked before just crash into a black screen needing a hard reset py bressing the power button for 15s. Heres what I tried so far:
    1. Changing the System mode from Normal to Rebug in the Rebug Toolbox -> Games would work, but the next day, same problem
    2. Just starting the Toolbox -> Games would work, but the next day, same problem.
    3. Updating from sMan to newest wmM -> games would work, but the next day, same problem
    4. Right now I reverted back to Rebug 4.82.2 -> games work, but since I only did that yesterday, I can't say if it still will tonight.
    I know it sounds stupid that games only work temporarily, but that's what it is... :indecisiveness: It's difficult to narrow it down, as it's not very deterministic so far...
    It is possible that I have some corruption on the internal HDD, as I can't run a file system check without having to format the drive. (Don't know why... HDD incompatible or too large with 1tb? But that's a story for some other time...:apthy:)

7. 3,107
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

List all the games you have blackscreen issues. that doesn't sound normal.

For whatever reason dynamic patching for PSP gets broken on your system from time to time, your PS3 model isn't a problem.
    Also list all the homebrews that you didn't tell us about, one or two maybe affecting VSH not to patch.

also you said you tested from 4.82.2 then reverted back to 4.82.2 I don't understand what this means. From the last time I saw, you were using 4.84.1.

8. 47
    ecto

ecto PSX-Place Supporter

Sorry yeah, I started with 4.82.2 but updated to 4.84.1 as it came out. Now I'm back to 4.82.2...

9. 288
    Luisile

Luisile Member

I have ferrox 4.84. I tried every version of psp launcher that i have but everything is working no problem at all.

10. 7,117
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    You could get a PSTV if you wanted to play all PSP games off USB storage, with HDMI, and with Dualshock 3/4. Probably not much more expensive than a PSP either.

citra mulia and shodan2k like this.
  11. 853
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    You don't know the prices in Sweden mate, it's expensive trust me. :( + a PSP is portable while a PSTV is not. Cheapest PS Vita I could find was 720 SEK (About 65 Euro) + PSTV's are alot more expensive + rare. PSP, PS Vita and especially PSTV was not a hit in Sweden so to say. "Cheap" PSTV in Sweden is 75ish Euro :(

DeViL303 likes this.
  12. 7,117
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    I never buy anything from Ireland for same reason. Too expensive here.

I know its not portable, but as you was talking about PSP emulation on PS3 so did not think that was an issue. For me anyway online, a PSP is same price as PSTV, about €50 approx , and if you dont need portability a PSTV is way better IMO, even without all the actual vita stuff.

EDIT: Actually, dam, now that i look again, they have gone up. Few months since i looked. Glad I got 3 now when they were cheap. :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    ISAK.M likes this.
  13. 328
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Love your avatar dude! YYH 4 life!
    Can you two list all the changes you made to your system recently? Specifically for Ecto, in between the games working and when the blackscreen issue started happening? Odds are the update broke patching PSP games like Joonie said, but it can't hurt to investigate :) and if you two are having the same issues, maybe we can find something you both did to your system recently, a setting changed or perhaps an update. That would be a good place to start investigating the issue.

shodan2k likes this.
  14. 3,107
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

I think somehow they keep mounting PSP ISO while running PKG games which confuse COBRA. PSP ISO should be unmounted when running PKG games.

So far I've tried

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd [Eng patched] as in PKG
    FF7CC as in ISO
    Corpse Party as in ISO
    StarOcean Second Evolution as in ISO
    The 3rd b-day as in ISO
    Persona 3 as in ISO

They all run just fine

FYI @imkira3

imkira3 likes this.
  15. 47
    ecto

ecto PSX-Place Supporter

The strange thing is, that after i get the psp games to run (see above), they just dont work on maybe the next day when aI turn on the ps3 again. Just like that without me tinkering with installs etc. They just dont boot anymore. Psx and ps2 still do though.
    The only thing I really did before this all started was to update to 4.84. But the games work for joonie, so that ahould not be it.

16. 3,107
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

@shodan2k btw you are not running 4.84.2 because I just released it.. lol

17. 328
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Perhaps you updated to a different version then @Joonie ? Did you update with the REX or D-REX edition, or perhaps a lite version?

18. 328
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Hehheh jynx

19. 47
    ecto

ecto PSX-Place Supporter

Ok. I just sqeezed in another test: Im on 4.82.2 and psp (specificaly ffcc) didn't boot. I changed system mode from normal to rebug, and now it works. So 4.84.1 is not the problem . Sigh... ;)

20. 328
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Works as in all is good now, or the app managed to boot?

You know, I'm on Rebug mode :/ never had any issues, weird.

Anyways I gotta take off, spending the day with my bro. Unless you respond in the next 10 minutes or so I'll help more later if needed.