PS3 [PSP Launchers] Problems and Research

Discussion in 'PS1/PS2/PSP on PS3' started by shodan2k, Mar 28, 2019.

1. 3,089
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

That's really strange, changing normal to rebug only swaps VSH (well they are duplicated and the same)

aldostools likes this.
  2. 3
    shodan2k

shodan2k Forum Noob

Sorry for the delay, been a busy few days of doing some repairs.

As I described above the .pkg writing methods I have used, including the one in that video, haven't worked. They still use the launcher.

I'll keep it in mind, do you remember the source/version of this launcher?

I haven't touched any PS patchers or disabled any syscalls since installing CFW. Also thank you for the suggestion, I'll be sure to try it out as soon as I can.

You would be correct, I'm currently sitting on 4.82.2 :p the recent HFW is what was on my mind haha.

I'm seeing a common occurrence that the chances of even getting it to work without REBUG are scant at best so I'll do some work on it tonight and see where I get. Hopefully will get back sooner rather than later.

3. 3
    shodan2k

shodan2k Forum Noob

I haven't honestly tried to emulate PSP until now through REBUG, and honestly I haven't been doing much to modify the system lately. The most I have done is upgrade my REBUG from 4.81.1 to 4.82.2, however I first initially installed CFW about a year and a half ago, so possibly somewhere in the process my Cobra ended up breaking? The most I have done as of late to modify my Toolbox settings trying to achieve anything past a black screen, however, as mentioned above, it was to no avail until I used the stock Cobra launcher + Priority ON that I was able to boot into Work Time Fun! and MHFU (both NA), with similar cursor stutter/stuckage when on menus, but with good performance. I'm going to try what Joonie has recommended and I'll report back with what results I have.

Also, missed this too. I'm aware of this and would boot into black screens through .pkgs without priority on. Same problems as using the launcher with the games I have tested. I will also try a few different games, preferably any ones that are well documented to have great compatibility. Any suggestions?

4. 302
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) Chillin like a Krillin
    Home Page:
    Sorry, I'm not too sure, I grabbed this one because of the icon, maybe someone else will recognize it if I describe it. It's a good simple icon, no images, it simply says NO GAME in white text on a black background until you mount a game.
    Well, if your Cobra broke, maybe you should try re-instaling or upgrading your OS if what Joonie suggested doesn't work. Lol this console should be in about the same state, I started a year and a half ago too, I started on 4.81.1 too, and I upgraded to 4.82.2 as well lmao. Weird

5. 47
    ecto

ecto PSX-Place Supporter

It is strange. And sure enough: I just tried FFCC again and got a crash again. I didn't do anything at all since yesterday...
    Now I only installed priority on for the launcher, and just like that ffcc runs again. Lets se for how long... ;)
    But now I'm really looking forward for your newest 4.84.2! Yeah! Right on!

6. 3,089
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

I think somehow this confuses COBRA, I don't ever use this thing and never had an issue like yours

7. 47
    ecto

ecto PSX-Place Supporter

Hmmm.. I just remembered that I also have priority on for multiman installed. But I never had an issue before.
    Maybe I better deinstall them both.
    I will post my results as soon as I have them.

8. 5,781
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Make a backup of the PARAM.SFO of the PSP launcher before and after installing the priority patch and compare them... or upload them here

9. 47
    ecto

ecto PSX-Place Supporter

What I was able to do was this:
    I made a backup of both PARAM.SFO of the PSP Launcher and of Multiman with Priority on. Then I deinstalled and reinstalled both without priority. I did it this way, because I was not sure if running "priority off" would be enough,
    But sure enough, Even with the new installation of PSP launchers (official COBRA 2.00 plus the jjkkyu modded remaster launcher) I had my old problem back:
    One day it works, next day it doesn't...
    Well, I'm preparing for a full reinstall of CFW from scratch. Maybe I "played around" too much with my system. :(

Attached Files:

10. 572
    DEX357

DEX357 Member

Yes its a marked on this video

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2019
  11. 3,215
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

I watched the video again I didn't see you showing the section "Scan for content"...

Anyway if you say that it's marked, make sure that the PSP Launcher has the title id: PSPC66820 like one these:

PSP Remasters Launcher Fixed [jjkkyu]
    https://store.brewology.com/get/homebrew.php?id=247&fid=1239

PSP Launcher [Official by COBRA]
    https://store.brewology.com/get/homebrew.php?id=247&fid=1179

EDIT:
    The PSP Launcher Fixed [jjkkyu] that has a different title id, is not listed by webMAN.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    T.A.U, Algol and DeViL303 like this.
  12. 5,781
    sandungas

Calm down, not needed to reinstall firmware, i think i got it :D

And i dont think using the option to change "priority off" would be enought to restore the original SFOs btw (not sure thought, but is not made in a "failproof" way)

For multiman there is no problem, lets say the PARAM.SFO files (with and without priority) are compatibles, so by swapping them the only change is the priority in XMB... that doesnt have any importance, is just a visual effect

But with the PSP launcher/s the PARAM.SFOs has a lot of differences, the most important is the CATEGORY
    The original (without priority) is category PE (for "PSP Remasters"), this makes the PSP emulator to run in a different mode (with more powerfull performance, but lower compatibility with games)
    And when you enable the priority it changes the category to MN (for "PSP Minis")

So it seems there you have the solution... by changing the CATEGORY of the PARAM.SFO you have different compatibility, and that game seems to be working fine in "PSP Minis" format (and doesnt works in PSP Remaster format)

--------------
    As i mentioned... it seems the apps you are using to change priority are not made in a "failproof" way
    What they does is to overwrite the PARAM.SFO completly by a different one

But technically.. to enable priority what is needed to do is to "update" the original PARAM.SFO to add the entry named PRIORITY... but preserving all the other original info of the file

ecto likes this.
  13. 1,339
    psykosis

psykosis Developer Developer

Most people see the word "Fixed" and think the other one is broken?

T.A.U and DeViL303 like this.
  14. 5,781
    sandungas

T.A.U, Zar and aldostools like this.
  15. 6,923
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    It would be nice if we could just come up with one Launcher that does it all. I know that might not be possible, but needing different launchers for different games really put me off trying PSP as it just seemed like hassle figuring out which ones were best for each game.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    T.A.U likes this.
  16. 5,781
    sandungas

Agreed, but we need at least 2 ways to boot them, by changing the category in the sfo to "PSP Minis" or "PSP Remasters"
    As far i was looking at the SFOs both launchers are using special flags too, i did not took a look at them (most probably for remote play, i guess are not important)
    There is also that "priority on" patch that is doing more things than it was expected, lol

The most important thing to know is how many EBOOT.BIN exists for that launchers... actually i dont know how many launchers exists, which differences they have, etc...
    There is some available source code or info about how the launchers works ?

I guess we could make a list of all the apps/tools related with PSP emulation with accurate info about what does everyone of them

--------------------
    I advised @Zar because time ago i had an idea that would be pretty cool, the point is actual managunz have this features:
    -it can "update" SFO files to add/remove the PRIORITY
    -it can create PKGs, and if i remember right ther is some function where it does an "autoinstall"
    -it has an option to "create shorcut PKG" of games (this is an small pkg that looks like an installed game, but works as a "proxy" to managunz)

So... i was thinking that managunz could perform the "PSP launcher" installation and update it based in the game settings you choose inside managunz (remaster or mini), and others
    The "PSP launchers" needs to be installed anyway, so it fits prety well with that option named "create shorcut PKG" of managunz (that doesnt exists yet for PSP games)

Also, instead of moving the ISO file to the launcher install directory.... i guess it could work by using a symlink

Actually... i guess most of the files installed when using the option "create shorcut PKG" can be replaced by symlinks because are duplicates of the managunz instalation

Dunno, just brainstorming

T.A.U, Lambada, Joonie and 1 other person like this.
  17. 6,923
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Using multiple launchers seems like a hacky work around to the problem really, there must be a better way to set flags.

Can we modify the app database on the console relatively easily? because it would be nicer if we could have universal PSP launcher, and have the backup manager edit the PARAM.SFO info directly in the database, so no database rebuild is required to see changes. This way it can have separate options for every game if required, and not have to have separate launchers.

Bonus of doing it this way, it could update the title of launcher with the name of the mounted game too.

T.A.U likes this.
  18. 768
    Zar

Zar Developer

This is definitly on my todo list from the begining. I didn't work on PSP and PS1 options at all. But these options will be available when I'll work on it !

T.A.U, Lambada, sandungas and 2 others like this.
  19. 5,781
    sandungas

The way i imagine it is a bit twisted, but it fits pretty well with the "create shorcut PKG" :)
    Also, i like it because i think managunz have all the required functions already working (but used for other tasks), so initially it looks it can be made by repusposing the functions that already exists

The only doubt i have is that "autoinstall" i mentioned, right now im not sure where is used in managunz, but if i remember right you was doing something ike this before in one of the managunz previous versions ?, you was creating a installation of something

That was one of the things that surprised me, because it did look like if you was updating the databases, either by using syscalls, or by rebuilding the database manually

I still dont know how you was doing it, but right now im thinking maybe is not posible to use that syscalls to update dabatase while inside an app (managunz), im guessing there is some restriction and is not posible, dunno

But the alternative way is by parsing and updating the database manually (the file "/dev_hdd0/mms/db/metadata_db_hdd")
    Not sure if you have some code to deal with it, right now i dont know any PS3 homebrew able to do it, but in PC the other day has been published this
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/x...ce-your-games-on-console-to-catalogues.23272/
    Maybe @horovo_games could help or share some source code related with that database file ?

T.A.U likes this.
  20. 11,958
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

vita shell won't allow you to return to the livearea if you've messed with the app.db. it requires the system be turned off. I've never tried doing that with the ps3's metadata file.

T.A.U likes this.