PSTV 3.50 whitelist hack (advanced) and DLC

Discussion in 'PlayStation TV (Vita TV)' started by ZumboRumbo, May 11, 2016.

1. 15
    ZumboRumbo

ZumboRumbo Forum Noob

I have a problem with games that require advanced whitelist exploit (app.db) and also have DLC.

I'm using cma through ps3, DLC transfers ok but won't install. DLC install normally if I do that before modifying app.db, but game won't start at all, even after using advanced whitelist exploit (but starts normally if no DLC is installed).
    Tried this with hyperdimension neptunia re birth 1, I don't know if this applies to all games requiring this exploit or just to this one.

Sorry in case this is a common issue, but I searched everywhere and found nothing.

2. 11,624
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

no, I've never heard of this problem, and I don't have any dlc to test with this. is that the only game giving u problems? check the tbl_appinfo section of the app.db to see if it's listed. u'll be able to find it by title id. the dlc will be listed under val. I'm afraid I don't know the key numeric for dlc since I don't have any. I was just glancing at my app.db just a moment ago actually.

3. 5,702
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    I take it this is a cart game you are trying to play? The best you can try is disable v2 of whitelist and simply try only v1 which is the blank plain text file. Happened to me with Soul Sacrifice Delta R3 cart. I had to settle for the PSN variant. The PS3 will grab and install it all at once and will work properly. Don't know why this happens with only carts and no one has held up any useful info to help.

4. 11,624
    pinky

I wasn't aware that carts had this issue. the problem may be with the PARAM.SFO since it uses id's to differentiate content (i.e. dlc, ps vita game, psp game, etc.). from what I remember, the whitelist v2 lists a few of them to eliminate some of the PARAM.SFO flags. it may not be setup to do the same for cart dlc. that's my guess anyway. I'd suggest backing up the app.db, then removing the whitelist v2 coding, transferring the app.db back, and playing the game with whitelist v1. then, u can transfer the backed up app.db back, just make sure u don't buy any dlc, games from psn or u'll have to rebuild the database for them to be found by the app.db which will eliminate whiltelist v2 or any other hacks done for the app.db. I hope that's helpful. :)

edit: scratch that about buying content, because I just remembered u can transfer it to the computer, then back with cma to refresh the app.db.

edit 2: btw, the numeric within whitelist 2 contains a value, known as a key in the app.db, that's meant to override the normal PARAM.SFO. it's like overriding the value of the metadata indexer on the ps3 which is what's recorded when installing something. I believe that's how the whitelist v2 works. the value negates the PARAM.SFO flag. I'm afraid I don't know a lot about what values do what since the numeric is lengthy and there r potentially hundreds of them. that's how the backup of the entire memory card works since its value is subject to an installed game. it's also how the ps1 bubbles thing works. ur forcing an install since it's recorded by the app.db.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  5. 15
    ZumboRumbo

ZumboRumbo Forum Noob

Thanks guys, but honestly I still don't know if there is a solution to this (PSN version of the game, btw - there is no EU physical version).
    As I wrote before, this is one of the games that requires whitelist v2. I even tried removing it and then re-patching app.db from scratch (after making sure all DLC were installed). Same problem.

Anything else I could try, aside from playing without DLC?

Edit: I had a look at the tbl_appinfo section of app.db and (even if I'm a total noob at this) the part that is supposed to be for DLC looks kinda different from its equivalent for other games.
    Is there a "correct" structure for DLC in there?

Edit 2: wait a second... did you actually mean that a possible solution could be removing whitelist v2, moving the game to pc/ps3 with cma or whatever, transferring the game AGAIN to pstv and only then using whitelist v2?

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  6. 5,702
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    The PSTV while very similar is a total different beast then the Vita. They share thr same firmware but a lot of other files vary. This is why the PS1 bubbles work for the PSTV. While we only know a little about the Vita and its inner workings we know even less about the PSTV. I would try what you stated by installing all content to the PSTV via PS3 using a totally clean app.db then once installed and tied together try to launch it first and get the not compatible error. Then install the v2 app.dv

7. 11,624
    pinky

I'm not sure how it looks since I don't have any dlc, but the app.db is like the metadata indexer for the ps3 in which it records PARAM.SFO information. I think what's happening is that the PARAM.SFO flag is still intact for the dlc causing the game not to boot. it should be fixable though. iirc, the flag override key is the same for each content type, so it's just a matter of know what the content id is for dlc. even cartridge games r recorded in the app.db.

it can be difficult to understand the tbl_appinfo section since u need to know which key applies to which PARAM.SFO. afaik, it should be the same key for each parameter. I know I found the app version for content, and it has the same key for each content item, so I think fixing this problem is doable.

as far as ur edit 2, I don't know if that will work. if it's a fluke, maybe, but I think it's the PARAM.SFO flag restriction causing the issue to which u can't fix unless u apply the correct dlc key and content id to the tbl_appinfo.

8. 15
    ZumboRumbo

ZumboRumbo Forum Noob

Well, I'll try moving the game data back and forth for now.
    In case that doesn't work... I really have no idea on what else I should edit (on my own, that is).

Edit: I'm also starting to wonder if whoever made whitelist v2 didn't think about DLC, since v2 actually prevents installing DLC for games that require it.

Edit 2: Ok, tried that, didn't work. The only difference is that now the section for this in
    tbl_appinfo looks like the other games. Anything else I could try?

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  9. 11,624
    pinky

it's a possibility. that's what I was thinking with it not working at all. this is how the key change looks with the custom whitelist:
    Code:
    CREATE TRIGGER CHANGE_CATEGORY_GPC AFTER INSERT ON tbl_appinfo
    WHEN new.val LIKE 'gpc'
    BEGIN
    UPDATE tbl_appinfo SET val='gdb' WHERE key='566916785' and titleid=new.titleid;
    END;

u would need to find out what category dlc is under, and insert that category in place of gpc as per the above example. I'm thinking the category is being changed causing the issue actually rather than the PARAM.SFO flag. I found gda in the tbl_appinfo of my vita, and it contains the same key as above.

edit: I'm not sure if changing the value/content id would cause a conflict with dlc or not though. u should install the dlc to ur pstv without the whitelist installed, if it is indeed preventing it from being installed, then look in the tbl_appinfo for the dlc. let me know what it says for val. that will be the .SFO category/content type. one word of warning, if the category's have been changed, the whitelist v2 can't be undone without rebuilding the database. that's what u should try. backup ur app.db first though. :)

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  10. 15
    ZumboRumbo

ZumboRumbo Forum Noob

I tried to do the above also with gda, no change.
    Btw, I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but... apparently the whitelist v2 doesn't directly replace all the other values in tbl_appinfo with "gdb" (dumped app.db again after the first attempt, all of them were unchanged). I think that probably just removing the CHANGE_CATEGORY_### parts removes the whitelist v2.

Anyway, could you give me some examples on how DLC is identified (in general) in tbl_appinfo?

11. 11,624
    pinky

I don't have access to my pstv's app.db atm. I was looking at my vita's, so I can't look up the whitelist v2. gda refers to the home apps, like welcome park, email, etc., not games, so that's probably y they didn't work. gdb may be debugged apps, but I'm not sure. I never saw that category value in my vita's app.db. the problem with removing the change category portion is there's no way to revert the categories back since psp, ps vita, etc. r all being read as the same category. 566916785 is probably a disable option for the sfo flag. I saw the same key with gda while the home apps wouldn't contain the rejection key. u might be able find the dlc by looking at the title id of the game it's used for.

12. 15
    ZumboRumbo

ZumboRumbo Forum Noob

Ok, I think that finally I found it (it's the one different line on that title id with DLC installed):

category (val): 9521771091951627
    key: 1640794848

Now... what?
    Just to make sure not to mess up app.db and having to redo everything from scratch.

Edit: Not sure if this can help, but I guess that the key value 1640794848 somehow identifies DLC because I found it for 1 game already pstv compatible and also for another one requiring whitelist v1 (both have DLC installed and working, of course).

Edit 2: I even tried a key change as above using 9521771091951627 as category, nothing happened again.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  13. 11,624
    pinky

what did u change the key to?

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  14. 15
    ZumboRumbo

ZumboRumbo Forum Noob

I tried changing it to 566916785 as per above code from tutorial (because I really had no idea about any other keys).

Anything else to suggest? Did they find other overriding keys? If they did... how am I supposed to use them properly?

15. 11,624
    pinky

r u sure that's the only dlc entry? if the PARAM.SFO information from the dlc is recorded, there should be more than one entry in appinfo. btw, what does is say for title id?

16. 5,702
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    The keys are unknown and why the Vita isnt hacked yet.

17. 11,624
    pinky

I don't believe these r encryption keys, but rather keys that designate different PARAM.SFO parameters. there's a different key based on language, content type, whether this is enabled or that, app version, etc. the above parameter seems to disable the PARAM.SFO flag. I've also noticed that the app version for content has the same key for each game which is what brought me to that conclusion. also, the gda category type, which seems to refer to the home apps, uses the same key to disable the SFO flag which is also y I think that's what that key does. this is all speculation based on examining the appinfo table, so it may or may not be correct. it's definitely difficult to try to fix the issue with dlc when I have none, and I can't see what the appinfo table looks like for it. :)

18. 15
    ZumboRumbo

ZumboRumbo Forum Noob

Please understand that I'm extremely ignorant about how a Vita/TV works (or even about SQL). What do you need in order to do more? My app.db maybe?
    Btw, I really checked the title id entries for re birth 1 before and after installing DLC and (as I wrote before) there was just an additional one for that title id:

category (val): 9521771091951627
    key: 1640794848

After all, afaik DLC for every game is backed up as a single file, no matter how many of them you actually install.

Also... an obvious suggestion: does any of you guys have the EU/US version of this game (or any of the other games requiring whitelist v2 to boot)? You could just download free DLC and see what happens for yourselves. :)

19. 11,624
    pinky

we're all learning how the vita works. it's a big mystery, so don't feel ignorant. I didn't know anything about the vita a year ago. @atreyu187 helped me with that while I helped him with the ps3. we've become good friends in the process. :) we all help each other since no one person knows everything about a system outside of the people who designed it. :)

atreyu187 likes this.
  20. 5,702
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    I don't have the game but I will see if any of my titles meet the needs, not working except via v2 whitelist and DLC needed. PSN goofed up the other day and allowed us on PSN for a few days. Had I have known there si some free game that meets this if I recall.

pinky likes this.