PS2 PSX-DVR FAQs made by vitas155.

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by jolek, Jul 11, 2019.

1. 1,215
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

[​IMG]
    This FAQ was compiled by vitas155 and translated from this site:
    http://www.ps-gamers.ru/forum/26-257-1.
    The translation into English was made using Google Translate.

• Q: What is PSX?
      A: This is the same as the PS2, plus multimedia center.

Q: Were PSX was available?
      A: In Japan.

Q: Does PSX support modchip?
      A: Yes PSX Support Modbo 760 Modchips, support launch PS1 PS2 Games and support Modchip menu, not support Launched All Games In to XMB menu

Chip soldering diagram for modbo 750:
      [​IMG]

Q: Many people confuse it with the PS1. Why?
      A: This attachment is little known, and before it was considered PSX PSone

Q: Where can I buy a PSX?
      A: At the moment, PSX is not officially for sale, but you can buy it through various auctions. Such as Yahoo and InJapan

Q: Where can I find more information about the PSX and contact those.
      A: The official website PSX Equipped with hard disk DVD recorder "PSX"

Q: Will the Russian work function TV (cable television viewing and recording)?
      A: PSX supports only NTSC Format TV.We will not work due to differences tv standards.

Q: What disc formats support PSX?
      A: Recordable discs DVD-R (Video mode), DVD-RW (video mode, mode VR)
      Playable media - DVD - Video,DVD-R (Video mode), DVD-RW (Video mode and mode VR)
      Music CD, CD-R (JPEG), USB-camera PlayStation the standard CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 standard CD-ROM / DVD-ROM

Q: What are the known model numbers for PSX?
      A: DESR-5000 and DESR-7000 models were the first and had a 160 GB and 250 GB HDD.Later improvements DESR-5100-5500-5700-7100-7500-7700 models were released in 2005 with a large hard disk support improved vibration function, support PSP tools and photo and video editing.
    • Q: How do I control in games on PSX?
      A: There was a special white PSX DUALSHOK They can control the main menu system and use it in games. Also on the rear panel are PSX 2 ports for standard joysticks DUALSHOCK from PS2.Conventional DUALSHOCK 2 are also supported

Q: What games can run on PSX?
      A: All games on PS2 and PS1, plus your own from PSBB.

Q: Games which region supports PSX?
      A: Run only licensed PS1/PS2 games region NTSC / J c drive or any games and applications installed in a special version of OPL

Q: Is there any problem with running games from the PS1 and PS2?
      A: No, provided that the game will be licensed and native NTSC / J region.

Q: Is it possible to run unlicensed games another region?
      A: Yes, you can. Games PS2 can run through the disc Swap Magic (it must be licensed and NTSC/J region). as well as through OPL

Q: PSX can run PS1/PS2 games with HDD?
      A: Yes, just as the regular PS2 FAT with IDE HDD + Network Adaptor

Q: What is the maximum volume of HDD is available for use on the PSX games?
      A: currently PSX allows 40GB of space on the HDD for games

Q: Can I increase the space for games to HDD?
      A: at the moment, but in the future may increase the space for the game to 128GB

Q: What is Swap Magic?
      A: Swap Magic allows the drive to run their own applications, games, software from the CD and DVD drives on your PSX.No order that it worked like a pair of conditions:
      1. The drive must be licensed
      2. it should be NTSC / J region (since PSX produced only in Japan) The disc will not damage your console and the warranty will remain. Games, published in Russia in recent years may not work. through Swap Magic will work only PS2 games for PS1 games need another disk
    • Q: What are the characteristics PSX in common?
      A: Technical Specifications DESR-7700: Hard-disk capacity from 160 to 450gb (depending on model)

Code:
       - Processor and GPU - 90 nm EE + GS Recordable discs DVD-R (Video mode), DVD-RW (video mode, mode VR)
       - Playable media - DVD - Video, DVD-R (Video mode), DVD-RW (Video mode and mode VR), Music CD, CD-R (JPEG)
       - USB-carriers PlayStation the standard CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 standard CD-ROM/DVD-ROM
       - Length of video that can be recorded on 4.7GB DVD-R/RW:
       - 1 HSP about 1.5 hours 2 SP (Standard)
       - for about 2 hours 3 LP
       - about 3 hours 4 EP
       - about 4 hours 5 SLP about 6 hours
       - Length of video that can be recorded on the hard drive (depending on format):
       - HSP 1 about 81 hours 2 SP (Standard)
       - about 107 hours 3 LP about 164 hours 4 EP
       - about 217 hours 5 SLP about 325 hours
       - Video codec - MPEG2 Voice Recording System - WAV files Linear PCM (while mode HQ)
       - Dolby Digital 2 channel (HSP, SP, LP, EP, SLP and mode)
       - Receiving channels - Analog (VHF Low :0-4CH/VHF C :4-6CH/VHF High:7-13ch/UHF :14-83CH/CATV: CT-7-C99999CH), BS analog (1,3,5, 7,9,11,13,15 CH)
       - Duplication of functions - HDD> DVD high-speed dubbing (12x max)
       - Additional audio features - variable speed playback Simultaneous recording and playback
       - Voltage 110V Editing function AB (GOP) grouping images
       - Recording Function - spreadsheet program (EPG) High sound quality 3-dimensional Y/C-separation Interim distortion correction (TBC)
       - Video digital-to-analog converter (12-bit, 108 MHz) tuner, Poland, variable bit rate (VBR) recording, audio digital-to-analog converter (24 bit 96 kHz)
       - Feature photo viewer - File Format: JPEG (DCF standard) Memory Stick (only for Sony digital cameras) USB (only for Sony digital cameras)
       - Auto-display Image rotation (90 degrees, 180 degrees, 270 degrees) Music Features - File Format: ATRAC3, Media: Music CD Network functions: firmware update,
       - PSBB (PlayStation BroadBand) PS2 Service correspondent network
       - Antenna: VHF / UHF 75ohmF connector type BSIF: 75ohmF connector type
       - D-Terminal (D1/D2) x1 Composite output / 1 video tulip / tulip 2 (Stereo) x1
       - Composite video input / 1 video tulip / tulip 2 (Stereo)
       - x1 S-video-input
       - x1 S-video-output
       - x1 Optical digital audio output (SPDIF)
       - x1 Ethernet 100 Base / TX x1 USB (1.1) input x1 Memory Card "memory Stick"
       - x1 connectors "Memory Cards PS2/PS1" connectors
       - X2 Connectors Dualshock-half
       - Dimensions: 312 x 88 x 323 mm (12.5 "x 3.5" x 12.75 ")
       - Weight: about 5.8 kg (13.75 lb)
       - Hard Drive:
       - DESR-5000: 160GB
       - DESR-5100: 160GB
       - DESR-5500: 160GB
       - DESR-5700: 250GB
       - DESR-7000: 160GB
       - DESR-7100: 160GB
       - DESR-7500: 160GB
       - DESR-7700: 250GB
    • [​IMG]
      Front View

[​IMG]
      Back View
    • Q: What is in the kit?
      A: PSX set includes a remote control, and the controller (special version DualShock 2) must be purchased separately.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Q: What is the menu uses the PSX?
      A: This is the first console using menu XMB (Xross Media Bar).In the future, this menu Bought PSP and PS3

[​IMG]

Translations for download can be found in attachments.
    • Q: What is PSBB?
      A: PlayStation BroadBand Navigator-line service for PS2 and PSX.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Q: How to install FMCB for PSX-DVR?
      A: There are several ways:
      1. Install FMCB 1.94 on normal PS2 (Not PSX)
        or Install it via USB Memory Card Adapter from the PS3 using a PC
      2. Run on PS2 ulaunchELF using any launch metod
      3. Run FMCB 1.94 installer
      4. On the setup screen, press R1 select install for PSX
      5. Make the installation, then copy ulaunchELF to the BOOT folder on the memory card,
        if you don’t have one, create
      6. launch FMCB using PS2, launch the configurator at the very bottom of the FMCB menu,
        configure launching UlaunchELF on a hot button, for example, R1, save the settings

A: after installing FMCB-1.94 to run it on PSX-DVR need to do a few more steps:
      • Q: will be required to run FMCB-1.94 on PSX-DVR?
        A: run FMCB Configurator using the normal PS2 and assign the copied application on quick-keys
      • Q: how to run the application using FMCB on PSX?
        1. Insert a memory card prepared for PSX FMCB1-1.94 1st card slot memory PSX-DVR
        2. Turn the PSX, with the appearance of the logo FMCB hold the assigned hotkey for application and hold it up to run the application
      • Q: What gives softmod PSX using FreeMCboot?
        A: This will install and run on PSX applications and games from the PS1 PS2 and translate its main menu (XMB) in any language
      • Q:What language uses the XMB menu and whether it is possible to change it?
        A: Used Japanese.Ability to change it there, but you need a specially prepared FreeMCboot and spec version UlaunchELF XMB menu for translation into English you just need to replace all the files in xml-console that those in the accompanying archive. Watch that would lay all exchanged files in the correct folder, failing this may result in inability to start consoles, please backup the original xml-files before transfer

• Q: How to install FMCB 1.966 for PSX-DVR?

1. Run the installation from any PS2 (not from PSX-DVR).
        A way to run Homebrew is needed.
      2. On the installer screen press R1 to select the installation for PSX
      3. After installation will finish, shutdown PS2, insert memory card into PSX-DVR

Q: How to run applications on PSX using FMCB-1.966?
      A1: copy applications to the BOOT folder on the memory card using a standard PS2 chip or soft mode using UlaunchELF
      A2: launch FMCB Configurator using a regular PS2 and assign copied applications
      on launch by hotkey

Q: How to run applications using FMCB on PSX?
      A1: Insert a memory card with PSX FMCB1-1.966 prepared for PSX into the 1st card slot
      Memory on PSX DVR
      A2: turn on PSX, when the FMCB logo appears, hold down the hotkey assigned to the application
      and hold it until the application starts

Q: What does a PSX softmod do with FreeMCboot?
      A: This will allow you to install and run applications and games from PS1 PS2 on PSX and also translate its main menu (XMB) into any language

Useful links, sources:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  2. 1,150
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Nice and complete guide, perfectly elaborated, i was looking for one of these systems for years to add to my PlayStation Collection, unfortunately what keeps me off from the PSX as a collector, its the price, availability, spare parts, reliability and HDD encryption, other than that looks like a neat system to have in the shelf, since its a DVR, with a PlayStation2 showed inside at the last minute, kind a precursor to the early models of the PlayStation3, a Multimedia HUB,and what makes this even more intresting its that was the first system to adopt the XMB, although the PSP and PS3 use a similar layout of XMB but got rid of the Goldenish box around the icons, Vaio Laptops,mainly Vaio Media Plus, still retained the PSX XMB with a few modifications.

Hopefully ill get one of these,when the budget and import taxes wont be an issue :D

3. 1,215
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Unfortunately...
    I don't have PSX-DVR, so mostly this FAQ was a copy from original site.
    Maybe there are still some information's that are missing?

If you live in Europe or you have AC 230 V (50/60Hz) from power grid,
    transformer is needed to decrease\reduce voltage into AC 110 V or 100V 50/60Hz.
    I'm not also not entirely how much power is needed, maybe 100 W?

If HDD will somehow fails... I don't know if this system will be still usable, probably no.

Updates (firmware) can be only installed from original discs or from net.
    Web servers was switched off long time ago, but maybe there is workaround for it?
    Proxy?
    Probably CD with latest firmware might be also hard to find:
    [​IMG]

4. 1,150
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    The System runs off 100V Japanese Grid, meaning you´ll need a step-down convertor. The HDD its encrypted, and dependable,meaning if your HDD fails, you pretty much bricked your console, it wont boot, much like NOR PS3s,but unlike the PlayStation3 the HDD its user replaceble,where the PSX is not,and these Systems dont have any form of a Recovery Menu,as far as i am aware, also the PlayStation2 KHS-400C laser, have some issue upon replacement,which the unit may refuse to read PlayStation2 titles,even with a brand new laser, this suspicious points thowards the software level,and not actual hardware,but a few users have successfully managed to replace without any hassle.

Regarding the Firmware Updates, at the time these could be preformed with a Broadband ISP connection, it worked pretty much like a PSP/PS3 update, Sony also distributed Live Update CDs, via mail, if you asked Sony they would supply the update though, these Update Discs, were dumped,but seeing one in Physical Form its quite rare if not impossible.

Extra Fact: The only colour variations of the PSX DESR that were released to the public were Ceramic White, and later on Satin Silver Variation, but did you know Yellow and Blue was also available, but never sold to the public, kind like the PlayStation2 Automobile Colour Collection!

psx02.jpg psx03.jpg

jolek likes this.
  5. 1,215
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Yes, you're right PSX-DVR needs 100V 50/60 Hz.

In Japan there is also two (50 or 60) Hz value:
    [​IMG]

Step-down convertor is a DC-to-DC power converter:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_converter.

For AC-to-AC you'll only need transformer.

PSX-DVR needs AC 100V 50/60 Hz.

They worked...

6. 5,364
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Wanna-BeTA Tester Moderator

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    I had one for a short time but alas the HDD to a dump on me and became useless. I had just gotten the English patch installed for the Cross Media Bar. Then about a month later it died on me. Maybe one day someone will figure out the encryption so all those dead units can be fixed, or at least a way to preserve the fee remaining units out there.

7. 1,150
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    From what i can see, these units came with Maxtor branded HDDs from the Factory, i know for a fact that Maxtor HDDs from that era are pretty unreliable, noisy and eventualy they will die when you least expect it, i had a 250Gb, same model as the PSX, died while in a Retro-Test bench, ive had old WDs,Seagates and Samsungs,and they never crapped on me like a Maxtor did, id say if Sony Corporation had choose the HDD supplier wisely,they would have avoided this issue,even with the HDD encryption, because the lifespan of the Maxtors are just that poor.

One more thing i couldnt let to notice is that the EE+GS package seems to match the ones used in the COK-001 CECHA/B PlayStation3s maybe this is why Sony did when with a stripped version of the SCPH-50XXX Debug BIOS, perhaps the PSX is using the same version, but with regional restriction enabled, this seems like an early production single chip package, mind that the 50000/70000 Series were still using separated EE/GS chips by the time the PSX launched in 2003.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    jolek likes this.
  8. 680
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    It is not just encryption (if it is even done by the hardware), but the HDD must have the custom firmware that the Sony PS2 HDDs have. Somebody will have to make a custom firmware for the DVRP here...

The PSX uses a CEX version of the boot ROM tailored for its hardware, 0180JC. The PS3 might have a DEX ROM because only the DEX had the software regional restrictions relaxed.

The PSX has two OP blocks. If the writer block is dead, then the PS2 OP block becomes useless. FMCB for the PSX can set the drive to PS2 mode, allowing such a drive to continue reading PS/PS2 titles.
    When Sony replaces the OP-block of the PS2, the console is adjusted to fit it. Slapping another block in goes with the assumption that the present calibration will fit.

As with other hardware from the 100V regions, the Japanese console has some tolerance. 110V is likely still within that.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    uyjulian and atreyu187 like this.
  9. 5,364
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Wanna-BeTA Tester Moderator

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    So ones with a dead HDD isn't totally useless if I read that right? If so kinda sucks I sold mine for peanuts. Do you think there is any chance of them being brought back to life ever??

Yeah I had an original Xbox that I put a 250gb Maxtor in and it died quickly. I put a WD in there shortly after and it's still working some nearly 20 years later.

10. 680
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    Useless? It depends on your definition of being a door stopper.
    If being useless means to lose all of its exclusive PSX functions, then yes... Losing the HDD will mean it is useless.
    If being useless means to lose its ability to play games (why get a PSX then?), then there are still ways to achieve this with FMCB.

Even though there are people who replaced their HDDs with a CEX SCPH-20401, the DVR functions will not work due to the small capacity (even if the XMB is installed again).

The only way to be free of the Sony hardware-based DRM, is for somebody to crack the DVRP firmware to get it to not require such a HDD. And perhaps, to develop a way to have the firmware update installed more easily (for the rest of us who do not live in Japan etc).