Purchase of PSN games on CFW?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by gehenna666, Mar 25, 2020.

1. 3
    gehenna666

gehenna666 Forum Noob

I've looked this up, but I'm not able to find anything exactly regarding my question. So I'll ask, am I able to buy PSN games on my CFW (rebug) console without needing to worry about being banned or some other issue I'm not yet aware of?

2. 1,692
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

There is always a ban risk on CFW, but there are measures you can take to minimise the risk. If you plan to sign into PSN, first of all reboot your console and then run either PSNpatch, or alternatively webMAN MOD's :but r2:+:but tri: button combo to clear CFW history and disable CFW syscalls. This removes system logs of what's been run on the system, including any homebrew and other 'evidence' of a modified system. It also prevents homebrew from being run, which is potentially quite risky if you're signed in to PSN.

What I would do then, is run PSNpatch (or the wMM button combo) to make your system appear unmodified, then sign in and use the PS Store as quickly as you can to get the downloads started. From there, you can quit and sign out and your downloads will be waiting on the XMB under Network > Download Management, indefinitely. At least, I don't think there's any expiry on how long they'll stay paused.

You could even sign in to PSN using the actual website - https://www.playstation.com/explore/playstation-network/
    Browse freely and then buy what you like, without the risk of using the PS3, and then do as I described above. You can actually queue up downloads for when your console switches on from the site, but then on boot the PS3 immediately prompts for PSN sign in while CFW syscalls will still be enabled. Even if you do sign in (straight away or after disabling CFW), it doesn't immediately put the download into the XMB. Even launching the PS Store doesn't immediately activate the download, so it seems a bit pointless as it doesn't appear to work as described.

So, while there is always a risk of a ban, but it is reduced to highly unlikely if you take precautions like PSNpatch or the webMAN MOD button combo (both perform the same function) and then just sign in and head straight to PS Store and activating the download(s), quitting out and then signing out. The trick is to behave when signed in on PSN as if your console is completely unmodified. :)

roack9 likes this.
Tags: