PS2 Question about WinHiip...

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by SoloNoco, Sep 7, 2019.

1. 28
    SoloNoco

SoloNoco Forum Noob

Hey there, this is my first post, hope I'm in the right place.

So I've done all the PS2 FMCB stuff, currently got 231 images installed on my 1TB HDD, but I've been using the ancient artifact that is WinHiip, so I'm coming up to my 250 game limit (I know it's more like 254 but I'm just gonna cap it neatly at 250).

Anyway I've got HDL Dumb all ready to go, so I can fill the rest of the space, & I even tested it with another old ExcelStor HDD just to make sure it was all good. (works)

My question is, after I start installing more games with HDL Dumb, & say I get to game 300, shall I never initialise this HDD with WinHiip again?

Reason I ask is, I've heard some horror story's about people installing more than 255 images, & WinHiip suddenly wigging out with partition collisions, but is that only the case if you install them over the limit with WinHiip? Does it not matter if I cross the limit line with HDL Dumb because WinHiip doesn't even recognise those images anyway right?

I hope so because, I like the scan/repair/save function in WinHiip, it brings me peace.

It will be annoying if I can no longer use that, also I like deleting & renaming games with WinHiip, I know I can do it on OPL with write operation enabled, but I do like the UI of WinHiip.

Anyway thanks for reading this, sorry for dragging it out. Noco.

2. 244
    Tupakaveli

Tupakaveli VIP PSX-Place Supporter

Welcome to PSX-Place!

I've never done it but I've read that after you go over the WinHIIP limit you should not initialise the HDD with WinHIIP again because it can cause problems.

You can delete and rename games with HDL Dump Helper GUI.

Also you can use HDDChecker on the PS2 side to scan your HDD for problems and optimise the partitions.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    TnA, SoloNoco and jolek like this.
  3. 28
    SoloNoco

SoloNoco Forum Noob

Thanks for the welcome & reply :)

Okay this is good to know. I wasn't aware of a HDDChecker, I thought WinHiip was the only way, so I'll get right on that.

Also never knew about HDL Dump Helper Gui, so I'll use that & OPL Write Operations to rename & delete, I just hope HDL Dumb deals with fragments in the same way WinHiip did, in that it writes over them before anything.

Best to be on the safe side & just never use WinHiip again. Thanks again man, & on a random note, HUGE Tupac fan, favourite rapper of all time, plus my favourite movie of all time is Gridlock'd, even got stills from the movie up on my wall :D

Tupakaveli likes this.
  4. 671
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

Actually Winhiip install games fragmented often and willingly (even on a just formatted HDD, without deleting any game), the repair function can't do much about it.
    HDL Dump always install games unfragmented… if you allow it to do so. Obviously if you delete games you should start from the last installed one toward the first, otherwise fragmentation will be unavoidable.

But don't worry too much, fragmentation shouldn't be a problem considering the reading speed required by the Ps2.

Algol likes this.
  5. 28
    SoloNoco

SoloNoco Forum Noob

Yeah I heard fragmentation is only a big issue if you're installing DVD9 games over fragmented sectors, or if your using USB method, so I'll try not to worry too much, good shout! I'm just very particular, very OCD.

Would you say HDL Dump/Dumb is better for installing games then? Like, in the sense that maybe you'd run into less issues with compatability, because if that's the case, I'll just abandon WinHiip right now, before I even hit the max images.

I'm just worried because I may attempt to extract some games off the HDD, to shrink a few, delete the originals & install the newly shrunken images, will that be a problem? With partition collisions and such...

Also, urgh, one more question (apologies) after I've hit my WinHiip limit & vowed to never open WinHiip again for fear of it ruining my HDD, will I ever be able to extract images off the HDD again? Because I don't think HDL Dumb has an option to extract, is that also a feature of HDL Gui Helper?

6. 380
    RandQalan

RandQalan Moderator

Yes and no let @sp193 tell you the limitations of HDL dump he has an installer as well that when use right can cause 0 frag and has a lot more to help you HDD. BTW SP were is you web page?
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/h...y-compressed-transfer-support-by-sp193.12675/

Algol likes this.
  7. 1,430
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

RandQalan likes this.
  8. 380
    RandQalan

RandQalan Moderator

Nice been out of the loop for some time As you know but nice someone is on top of it.:randqalan:

jolek likes this.
  9. 671
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

Btw HDLGameInstaller is ftp only (7,7mbps max for now). I think he prefer the direct connection speed, since he have many games and unfortunately the HDLGameInstaller format isn't much compatible with HDL Dump (if you extract with HDLGI a game installed with HDLD, 99% chances it will be corrupted).

@SoloNoco Yes, you can extract games with HDL dump helper gui.
    HDL Dump will never gave you installation problems. There are only 2 minus: you won't have the selection boxes like winhiip, so either when installing and extracting, you'll have to select the games one by one (you can add them to jobs, so it will install/extract all of them in a once automatically).
    The other one is that HDL Dump only support isos, so if you have a CD game in bin/cue format, you have to convert it to iso before ("WinBin2Iso" perfectly do the job).

EDIT: I think HDLGameInstaller have a option to install games from the disc too. However if you have to extract them to PC or install a ISO you're stuck with FTP.

RandQalan likes this.
  10. 380
    RandQalan

RandQalan Moderator

Wolsey dasey HDLGame installer use to work for CD games am I missing something. So could HDL dump

CD-ROM install worked with CD last I know

11. 1,430
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

You can also use HDLGameInstaller on PS2 side to make an image of game from original disc (CD\DVD).

Via FTP you can "transfer" game from image (ISO) or\also from disc (CD\DVD).

12. 671
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

HDL dump install CD games without problems, but they must be in ISO format. if they're bin files you won't even see them on the selection browser screen.

13. 671
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

Sure, btw if he will need more speed for installing/extracting many games, it would be risky to use HDL dump and HDLGI togheter, since they aren't compatible. Maybe taking note of wich program he used for each game, so he will always use the same program for any given game...

RandQalan likes this.
  14. 380
    RandQalan

RandQalan Moderator

Cue bin ccd and more works for the version I have so something has changed thanks version 0.9.2 https://github.com/AKuHAK/hdl-dump

Peppe90 likes this.
  15. 1,430
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

You wrote that:
    I only pointed that this program can also "dump" games from org discs.
    Rest of this post was only addon.

Peppe90 likes this.
  16. 671
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

I didn't know it was still getting upgrades. Good to know, thank you :D

RandQalan likes this.
  17. 671
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

Ah ok, I edited my post about it before reading the following ones.

jolek likes this.
  18. 380
    RandQalan

RandQalan Moderator

Funny thing both together causes some really funny thing about rename loading and a lot more.:-p

19. 28
    SoloNoco

SoloNoco Forum Noob

Thank you @RandQalan @jolek @Peppe90 & @Tupakaveli all of the links & information is a big help, even if I do have to read the stuff 5 times before it starts going into this damn analogue head of mine :D.

I can't tell you how much of a relief it is to be able to ask questions & get real informative answers.

Before now, I've been doing all this stuff in a trial by fire method.

One time I turned off "Hacked Odyssey" in the FMCB Configuration & thought I lost FMCB :D.

(Until I rebooted while holding Select).

But idk man, it's just always been the best method for me to learn stuff.

Although now ofc, I've reached a point where my questions can't be answered with testing, as I don't want to break what's took me so long to get in order.

Before joining this forum I was asking on YouTube tutorial comment sections, only to have the uploader reply "sorry man wouldn't know".

I was hesitant to join a forum, because I'd seen in the past alot of people getting told off for not providing enough info or for saying something illegal idk, but I'm glad I joined, you guys are cool.

Anyways I'm going to review all the links to softwares & info/forums, you guys were kind enough to point me towards, & I'll be sure to reach out again if ever I'm in a spot of bother. Nooby Noco. :D

TnA, Peppe90, Tupakaveli and 2 others like this.
  20. 244
    Tupakaveli

Tupakaveli VIP PSX-Place Supporter

@Peppe90 You can use a batch file to get around adding 1 game at a time to the Jobs List.

Peppe90 likes this.