Question for tthousand

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pinky, Jun 17, 2018.

1. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@tthousand , those are some good tips. I'll remember them. how do you know what's a rare blade? I didn't realize that you could simply sell things to increase the development level. I always thought you had to do side quests.

it's a good game. I'll probably beat it before I move back to xc2. it's involved, but not nearly as much as xc2. it's also pretty fast-paced.

how big are we talkin'? are they like one room? do you get special items such as the hookshot? I loved that in skyward sword.

that's a damn fine game. I was at dungeon 6 or so when I stopped playing. maybe I should go back? I like how you had to use the dungeon's special item to defeat the boss of that dungeon. is breath of the wild like that in any way?

2. 897
    tthousand

tthousand The One Moderator

Terminating Terminators
    It's pretty easy to tell a rare blade from a common one. Rare blades will look like Prya, or Dromach, or the Bird Guy, etc, etc, etc... while the common blades pretty much all look the same, and wear pretty much the same outfit. Also, you can sort your blades by rarity, so you can see exactly how rare they are. Even some common blades are rarer than others (in a sense).

I'm about to watch a review on it so I can see it in action and see it if's something I would be interested in.

There are hundreds of small dungeons, which all vary in size. And you get about 5 special items, but you get them all during the "tutorial" (which might take a few hours to finish). You also get "perks" so to speak of before each of the main dungeon bosses which help you to defeat that boss.

That is the one thing I didn't love about those games, is that you had to use the special item to beat the boss, and you had to go in a certain order to obtain those items... like you cannot get one before the next. But I dunno, while it made the game interesting, I would have liked to have some of those cool items before... but that's always been the tune in the 3d zeldas.... until now :D

3. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@tthousand , hmm...all of my created blades look the same. is it just rare that you create a rare blade or do you have to do something to increase the odds or even guarantee you'll get a rare one? my main concern is not having the healing ability that you get with Pyra. as you know, the enemies can be pretty brutal.

the game is good. if you like fast-paced action games that is... a few years ago, I bought ys origin on steam. that's the only game I've bought from steam, though I still have two others that were free during some sort of sale. all of the ys games now play about the same. ys book 1 and 2 and ys 4 are almost turn based in a sense. it's easy to die in them too, but you also gain levels like crazy. you'll probably be on the max level in both by the end of the game. check this out (my favorite ys book 1 and 2 song):

and, mind you this came out before super mario world. I believe only the hu cards have antipiracy. burned discs work, considering cd burners cost hundreds of dollars back then, but I don't use them. I'm a purist for the most part aside from the retron 5. however, I use the actual carts and the actual controllers with that. those cords are pretty short, so I bought an extension cable for the genesis, nes, and snes. some carts are pretty expensive. I want mega man x3 and mega man 7, so I bought them for the wii u. atm, my retron 5 has a serious software problem. :)

anyway, I suggest you check out the ys soundtracks. it's by the same composer as the etrian odyssey series (my favorite series on the ds/3ds). I've beaten the first one and am pretty close with parts 2 and 3. the fourth one - its save was corrupted due to gateway. pos I was able to convert all other saves to luma (see my 3ds tutorials) ;)

I hope I like botw. it sounds like it's veered off in a different direction when there was nothing wrong with the direction it was already heading. well, I was unsure about odyssey after seeing mario in new york and wearing a sombrero, but that game is amazing. nothing like I expected. maybe zelda will be the same? I think the 3d zeldas are better than the 2d ones. I just like the imagination that goes into those 3d worlds..

I've been hesitant about hacking my switch. I really don't want to, 'cause I've had all I can take with the scenes. and, I almost never play any of the games. for example, I went through the trouble and headache of abandoning a banned account on the vita. I don't play online. I don't even play games on the system. well, I did play tales of hearts r. I'm at the final dungeon in that, and it's been that way for over a year+. I just have no interest beyond testing things so that others don't have to and risk bricking or something. I'm tired of feeling this way. however, I haven't updated my switch. I found that if you tell the switch not to connect automatically, you can select the router (as long as the credentials are correct) when selecting update game software. I don't know if this works, but it says to delete any update software that may be downloaded because it will install automatically. seems risky. if my switch updates, oh well, I guess. I did buy an expansion pack for xc2 when I bought xc2. I can't exactly redeem it if I block a connection to the eshop. do you have that expansion? my friend says it's like a whole other game that they plan to make a cart of some day. I didn't know that or else I would've waited. :-/

4. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@tthousand , I finally caved and updated. the main reason was that I couldn't update game software without doing so. the methods that used to work apparently no longer do. I'm installing game updates (down the list) starting with the game in my system (ys 8). that game is getting really good. like others in the series, it has zelda-like aspects in that you find items to do new things and access new areas. it also logs your map, harvesting, and treasure completion, so you'll know what you're missing. treasure boxes look opened on the map if it's been opened which is good for completionists like me. ;).

btw, I updated to 3.65 enso on the vita (already did on the pstv), and I abandoned my banned account (the one that was banned with the ps3). I'm in the process of getting everything back. I don't plan to play my ps4 until there's a way to decrypt saves and update to the latest firmware. with the vita, what I did was uninstall enso, do a system restore, remove the micro sd to be formatted by either the system or the pc (did it with the system this time), install henkaku molecular shell, use that to install vita shell, use that to install enso updater, update to 3.65 enso, sign in to psn to get an account id with qcma, transfer over molecular shell, vita shell, and enso 3.65 via qcma, use vita shell to transfer over my original config.txt, gamesd.skprx and nonpdrm.skprx, plug the sd2vita back in and restart, now transfer over molecular shell, vita shell, and enso via qcma to the micro sd. after that, you have to retransfer over your content. :)

edit: I was surprised by the speed of a switch update. it was even faster than a vita one.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  5. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@tthousand , you were correct. I tried redeeming coins on a cart not inserted. it prompted me to insert the cart. also, that window says that you can only redeem coins for games up to a year of their original release date. I guess that means I can't redeem them for breath of the wild, mario kart 8, and perhaps others. next time I undock the system, I'll redeem all of my games. it's probably safe to assume that any used game has its coins redeemed or can't be redeemed for coins. also, I see that coins can only be redeemed for digital content. it's not the totes and cart holders that were club nintendo. those were good, but then again, they cost a lot of coins. the digital content they offered sucked.

I have 11 hours in ys 8 at 16-18%, so it could be one of the longer ys games. it's not the four hours that is ys 3. a local video game rental place had a policy where you could rent a game, then on the same weekend return it for another game. I did this several times with ys 3. it was a fun game.

I see that the Pearl and Merina amiibo set is out. I need that. I also see that Sonic Mania (cart version) is coming out this week. I want that too. then, there's captain toad which came out last friday. I read on temp that it requires 5.1.0 which makes it one of the first games to come with that. ys 8 comes with 4.1.0. there's also octopath traveler which doesn't seem to have a demo on the eshop. I'm on the fence about that one. I wish I could play it first.

btw, I can't recall if I mentioned it but the mega man 11 amiibo and amiibo edition are exclusive to gamestop. it costs ten bucks to ship the amiibo, so if you only want the amiibo and buy the game at best buy, you might want to walk into a gamestop for that.

6. 897
    tthousand

Terminating Terminators
    @pinky, I do not know what the exact method the blades spawn, but I have seen a few theories. Basically the latest possibilities I have heard are: a.) that after a certain amount of attempts using the common core crystals you will be given a rare blade (there are only a set numbers of rare blades that you can obtain this way), b.)that using a booster will increase the chances of getting a rare blade out of a common core, c.) specific core crystals create specific blades, and while rare cores have a better chance of spawning a rare, it is not guaranteed.d.) I sort of remember at the start screen of the game, there might be an option to view the rare blade creation movies, so that would tell you which rare blades you have unlocked. e.) keep grinding for those core crystals and you will get some rares... or use some of the DLC content and you will get several rares.

I saw a review for YS VIII, but I am not sure if I am interested or not. It pretty much told me all the stuff you did. Too bad they do not have a demo for it.

Once you try out BotW, you will have to let me know what you think. I think you might end up liking it a lot... but who knows...

Yes, I have the XC2 expansion. It helps a lot out early on (items and cores!), and even adds more side quests to the main game. It also offers some challenge modes, new game plus, and like your friend said... basically a whole other game later on this year.

Sounds like you have been busy with your Switch and Vita. My Vita and PS TV have not been powered on in a long, long time :(

That sucks about the gold coins for the carts. I have not redeemed any, so I better check and see if I am too late. If that is the case, that is pretty lame!

I think the Sonic Mania game coming out is actually the whole game plus the new DLC. I already have the DL version, so I need to see how much that extra DLC is going to cost.

...And, THERE IS AN OCTOPATH TRAVELER DEMO... says so right here >>> https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/octopath-traveler-switch (plus, I have it on my Switch)

I think I'm gonna pass on the Megaman amiibo. The only one I am interested in at the moment is Solare of Astroa (Dark Souls).

7. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@tthousnd , I'll try out that blade creation thing when I turn the game back on. I suspect the game will get very hard if I don't start doing that. I just get overwhelmed with all of the mechanics in the game. I've yet to turn on the game since downloading the expansion pack. I've just been involved with ys 8.

ys 8 does have one thing over ac2. it records information about the mechanics in the game, so you don't have to worry about forgetting. I've not looked at anything about ac2 beyond how to target enemies since I had forgotten how. that battle at the end of chapter 3 - the bosses had that taunt ability messing up the targeting. I don't really consider that cheating since it's a basic command. other than that, I've not looked at anything regarding any of my games. it's sometimes frustrating, but it's also more rewarding trying things on your own.

I ran into a lot of problems abandoning a banned account on the vita and pstv. strangely, it was more troublesome with the vita than the pstv, but I think I've fixed everything. I had to redownload all updates and dlc on both systems. vita shell would corrupt the dlc on the pstv, and on the vita, the dlc wouldn't be detected by vita shell. ...so, I had to redo it all. games seem to be fine. all homebrew and homebrew games, aside from custom theme manager, are fine. custom theme manager worked fine on the pstv, but I had problems on the vita, so I had to use a qcma backup of the app.

yeah, it sucks about the coins. I need to redeem all of my games or else I'll miss out.

I've heard that Nintendo can now ban actual cartridges, so be careful buying used. the serial number is in the header I believe, so maybe the header isn't recorded to the system (i.e. coins can't be redeemed without it). that's just a guess though.

I think the physical version of sonic mania has something tangible in the case. what I'd really like is for instruction manuals to come back. ;)

hmm...when I looked at octopath traveler on the eshop, it didn't show a demo as being available. I thought I was looking in the wrong place, so I looked at another game with a demo. I went to that link to send the demo to my system. can it do this in sleep mode or must the system be on?

edit: I found the demo as a separate entry than the game. the other game I looked at - the demo was downloadable below the actual game purchase. octopath traveler has a separate page for the demo for some reason. I don't remember that when I looked for it before. I just downloaded it to my system.

the eshop seems to be having some major problems tonight as it was slow as hell for me when I was looking for that download, then it err'd, yet the demo still downloaded. lol the eshop seems a bit sluggish, but it's also that way on the ps4. maybe it's the slowness of my internet? the switch says that my download speed is around 50mbs when it's actually 15mbs. ;)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  8. 897
    tthousand

Terminating Terminators
    @pinky, when you get back into XC2, the expansion pass goodies will help out a lot. Get some money, buy all the tips, and then start digging deep into the mechanics. They are much more simplified than previous versions of the game.

There are actually a few games that contain instruction manuals. They are nice to see.

Yeah, it is only like that in the US eshop and not the EU eshop. For some reason they gave the demo it's own separate page.

I feel like around here, at certain peak hours, the internet just slows down in general. I assume a lot of people are using the same provider as me.

9. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@tthousand , how do I know the expansion pack worked? I really don't want the game to be easier. I want to play it as it was meant to be played. that's why I like dlc to be selectable in the items list to avoid getting extra levels or money. I never bought the added levels, gald, or grade in tales of hearts r for this very reason. ;)

there are? I think ys 8 came with a map which is cool. I've yet to see an instruction manual since like the ps2 days. it's really sad. it would definitely be helpful in xc2.

I think it downloaded as it said download complete, but I have no idea what that error was. it was majorly slow. it wasn't like that the first time I entered the eshop. I did run the internet test on the switch, and it said everything was fine, so I don't know. :-/

10. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@tthousand , I just redeemed coins for all of my games. I couldn't with breath of the wild and mario kart 8 obviously. if you own splatoon 2, redeem them. the one -year expiration date is July 21st. I redeemed my coins in order in order to avoid forgetting about them. I think buying used one should assume that the coins have been used or that they've expired...in case I sell some games.

11. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@tthousand , I bought captain toad and sonic mania. for some reason, when I tried to redeem coins for sonic mania, it said that it was too early to redeem them. do you actually have to wait a few days with new releases? I think it's the first new release I've bought and tried to redeem coins on. captain toad went through with no problem, but that came out a week or two ago. sonic mania came out like a couple days ago.

I'm at the 32 hour mark in ys viii at chapter 5 and only around 57% of the map complete. I opted to beat the game instead of starting another one. it's gotten pretty brutal. if it gets too brutal, I'll take a break.

did you buy octopath traveler? I still have yet to try the demo. my friend can' put the game down. ;)

12. 897
    tthousand

Terminating Terminators
    @pinky, the DLC is all activated through the main menu. You should see a present. And you can play the whole game with only accessing which DLC you choose to activate. For instance, you could activate the side quests, but you don't have to activate the extra items.

Yes, infact, the game makers Nicalis release all their first editions with instructions manuals.

Still need to redeem my coins. If I didn't say it, I appreciate you telling me about that.

I have not been playing any games recently. My finger is pretty messed up, and it's gonna be another five weeks before it fully heals and I can play games again :(

Edit: I have only played the octopath travler demo for a few minutes. I doubt I will get it.

13. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@tthousand , you're talking about xc2, right? I'm glad that they did it that way. ys viii does it that way too. I did buy all of the dlc for that game, but I haven't used any of it. I don't want to make these games any easier. I'm already not using faqs, so making it easier would defeat the purpose.

Nicalis? I miss instruction manuals. now, you have to rely on digital crap or ingame tutorials.

might as well even though $1 equals like one coin. at least you can use them towards anything, and everything seems to come with them.

I feel a bit guilty about having gamed so much. I've easily played more on the switch than the ps3 and 360 combined over the span of like nine years.

I need to try that demo. I'm getting burned out on rpgs though. I'd kinda like to play captain toad or a platformer for a while.

14. 897
    tthousand

Terminating Terminators
    @pinky, yes, XC2.

Every new physical Nicalis game has come with an instruction manual, and they plan on doing the same for future releases.

I ended up only being able to claim gold coins for half my games. I was hoping they would offer Switch incentives like they do for the Wii U and 3DS. They current system they have set up is pretty lame if you ask me. I spent a few gold coins on Switch purchases... but it's not really worth it. Each coin is basically only worth one penny.

I am glad you are getting enough gaming in for the both of us :) What are you playing now?

pinky likes this.
  15. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@tthousand , it's been a few weeks since I played xc2 (I hope I still remember what's going on), and I haven't restarted the game to check out the dlc yet.

I don't think I've ever heard of Nicalis. is this a first run of a game or will their games always come with instruction manuals? I got a map with ys viii and some sort of artbook (I think) with sonic mania.

yeah, might as well redeem the coins even though they're worth didley. yesterday, I was reading that eshop purchases were worth five times as many coins, so a sixty dollar game is worth three dollars in coins. I guess that's one incentive to get people to buy digital. I bought all of the dlc for ys viii (seems to be like you mentioned with xc2 where you can select what you want to use, so I don't plan to use any of it 'til I beat the game 100%) and of course the xc2 expansion pack. I have just under 800 coins. I was surprised that the switch didn't use a NNiD like the 3ds and the wii u. you actually have to link them with your online account, which is what the switch uses. I don't have mine linked for two reasons. one, I don't remember the email address I used on the wii u, and I don't want to mess with it since I'm using cbhc. and, two, I don't want the id from a hacked system to be associated with my unhacked switch. both my 3ds and wii u are hacked, so...

well, I'm at what I believe to be the final dungeon in ys viii after over sixty hours. there are still some chests that I either can't figure out where they are or how to get. there's this one on a pillar in a cave that's impossible. lol that one was really frustrating me, so I gave up on it. anyway, I took a break from that game, and I started playing captain toad. having beaten the game on the wii u, I remember many stages, just not how to beat them. ;)

how's your hand doing?

16. 897
    tthousand

Terminating Terminators
    @pinky, XC2 is still in my Switch, but it has probably been over a month or two since I played it last.

Only the first releases come with instruction manuals. Check out www.nicalis.com to see some of their games. I am sure you have probably heard of more than a few of them.

I've already spent about 300 gold and I got 300+ left. I spent the coins before they expired on eshop purchases so I didn't get much worth so far. I finnally see something that might be worth some coins though. 110 coins for a whole game as apposed to $1.10 off a regular priced game.

I got the Captain Toad demo, and have been wanting to try it. But it's been a long time since I played.

My finger is a lot better, but still not back to 100%. I'd say about 75%. If it does not get better in the next few days, I might go get an X-Ray.

You know, some days I miss the scene... some days I wonder why I am still around. Those PS3 days were a trip to say the least... could write a book (or several) on everything I've seen (no pun intended).

17. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@tthousand , I haven't played xc2 for several weeks. as you know, I hate swapping carts, so a game is liable to stay in my system until I beat it. ;)

I know I own cave story and I own ikaura on the gamecube iirc. I love those shmup games! I was collecting them on the xbox 360, but a lot of them require an rgh/jtag since they're not region free. :)

hmm...I didn't know you could buy full games with coins. is there a list for that? I tried signing in online, but a lot of things are blurred out, so maybe that's for the 3ds? I should have over 800 after redeeming sonic mania. that total was available on their online website.

it's a good game, but it's not very long from what I remember as I did beat it on the wii u. it maybe kirby short at around four hours just to beat the game. however, unlike kirby, I don't believe it's full price. lol

I hope your finger heals more quickly, so that we can talk more switch. :-p

that's how I feel as well. I promised myself that I'd retire after I quit drinking which hasn't happened. I'll try not to be around for too much longer. the ps4 scene will be my last. after that, I don't plan to buy another sony or microsoft system. it will be all nintendo for me. I guess the way I was treated in especially the ps3 scene has made me not want to be a part of this stuff anymore. well, that, and the fact that I never play any games. my systems were just for testing mostly. they're not doing me any good beyond that. :)

edit: I just now beat captain toad, and I'm at the odyssey levels. I couldn't remember how to get certain diamonds or how to beat levels, but I remembered most of the stages...like I knew which ones were difficult and which were not. for the most part, the game is easy. it gets a little difficult near the end, but it shouldn't take you more than a few tries with those levels. the thing that makes it difficult is being obstructed by something. my eyesight is pretty bad, so I have to zoom in on toad, but even rotating the camera can get frustrating, because you still can't see very well.

the odyssey levels are new. the game originally had 3d world levels, and iirc, you could play them at any time (only required a 3d world save), but the odyssey levels can only be played after beating the game. it may or may not require an odyssey save.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  18. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@tthousand , I'm back to playing ys viii. I need to beat that game. I have nearly 96% of the map completed. I'm about at the right level for what I believe to be a bonus dungeon. the enemies in there were on the low 70s. my highest level is 69 I believe. I'm just afraid that there's an uber boss in there. lol

I beat the four odyssey levels (yeah, there's only four) in odyssey. they were fun, but hard. the hardest one may have been the metro kingdom or the luncheon kingdom ones. though, I beat the luncheon kingdom one on my second try. the special challenge for that one seems impossible. the other stages are the cascade kingdom and the sand kingdom. they had the same music as odyssey, and the regular stages have music from 3d world, so they brought back memories. ;)

I've beaten or nearly beaten around 5 games on the switch thus far. I plan to get mega man x collection next. I heard that the switch version has download codes for the second half of the games. the ps4 doesn't. it has all of the games on a disc. however, I'm not updating until there's a way to hack newer firmware, so it will be the switch version for me. ;)

19. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@tthousand , I finally beat ys viii. the last boss was hard as f***. it's probably the hardest ys last boss imo, and I've beaten all of them except for ys v.

I encountered a strange glitch. when I got back to the title screen, selecting my last stage caused the game to crash. exiting, then reentering the game seemed to fix it. that's the first time a switch game has crashed on me. has a game ever crashed on you? I'm a bit worried now that it's my system or my game. :(

anyway, the game took a little over 77 hours. there are still two or three chests that I either couldn't find or couldn't get. I did go through every side quest I could find, but to no avail with those chests. :-/

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  20. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@tthousand , I just started mega man x legacy collection 1 and 2. unfortunately, the second half is download only. my friend told me that he thought that those games came on separate carts in Japan but were sold separately. since the switch is region free, that would've been preferable. though, the shipping and the fact that you can't use the gamer's card might;ve offset that. I also bought octopath traveler, but I haven't tried it yet.

mmx legacy collection can be hard af especially finding and getting the power ups. some are just so you can barely make it. I don't understand how you get the heart tank in wheel gator's stage. I beat these games as a kid. I wonder how I did it then. I could've sworn there was a power-up to dash upward. I might be able to get it then. :-p

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018