Question for tthousand

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pinky, Jun 17, 2018.

1. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@tthousand , I can't recall if I mentioned it, but I've been playing octopath traveler (have the game?). after 60-65 hours, I've finally figured out how to play it properly. also, optimizing equipment seems to screw things up. I realized this after Therion's chapter 3. all equipment changed by optimizing before, and then again after the boss fight. I think it might take all stat increases into account when I really need physical and elemental defense. I mean that boss was taking out thousands. ;)

I've started mmx6 which definitely has some problems. the game is hard af especially with getting the reploids before they're killed. when that happens, I just restart the game which is easy to do with the collection. I can just imagine the frustration if doing this on a playstation. speaking of which, download and/or play mm 11? I downloaded it, but I've yet to play it. I'm just fully engrossed in octopath and mmx6. lol

edit: btw, if you buy smash and its controller set, you can get over $20 off with the gcu card. I might do that and test out the pro controller. I had heard that the xenoblade chronicles 2 controller has the improved d-pad, so I assume that that controller does as well. I've been experiencing major problems with the regular pro controller just merely scrolling down options in octopath. :-/

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  2. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@tthousand , a few days ago I rescued the final reploid in mega man x6. it was extremely stressful trying to capture them all without one dying. that's 8 stages with 16 being in each stage. finding them wasn't too difficult, only getting them before they became possessed. I noticed that if they do become possessed, it counts them as being missing. they're only classified as dead if you kill them after being possessed.

I've started x8 now (can't beat x7's intro stage due to suckage on mine and the game's part :-p). the game is pretty damn hard. thus far, I've only beaten one robot boss. I get a little further in each stage every time I circle around the stages after having died. I can get to one of the other bosses. each boss has a special move when they're near death. I can't get past this one's special move without dying. ;)

I'm at the 99 hour mark in octopath traveler. the bosses don't seem nearly as difficult now that I've figured out how to play. however, that's not to say the game is easy. since I've been playing a lot of harder games, I've decided to go with something in the middle in terms of difficulty. I bought dragon quest xi last night, but I haven't gotten around to playing it. I was tired of waiting for a switch version which could be out in a few months or over a year. no release date has been given even for the JP version. :-/

my purchase of mega man 11 seems to have gone missing. there's no record of it, so I've lost out on the amiibo edition and the amiibo itself. I've since preordered it from best buy for about $23 thanks to the gcu. :D I guess I'll have to buy the amiibo on ebay at an inflated price. :(

have you played torna in xenoblade chronicles 2? I haven't yet. what I don't understand is how its add on to xc2 would be $10 less than the standalone game? maybe it's due to the same maps being used? you also get some added bonuses with the expansion pack to make the price even better. Nintendo sent me a download code for some reason. it was after changing my email address (not the one used when I made my account). speaking of which, I noticed that changing the email address is instantaneous on the eshop, but it has to update at some point for to be reflected on the system itself. for me, it didn't update for about 10 hours.

btw, what's your friend's code?

3. 897
    tthousand

tthousand The One Moderator

Terminating Terminators
    First off, I just wanted to clarify that you can get whole games with the Nintendo coins, but the selection is very, very limited... and as far as I know, you can only do this from a web browser at the My Nintendo site, under the REDEEM option.

Second... damn, it feels krazy to be back here typing on this forum again... it's been forever it seems...

Sounds like you have been getting a lot of gaming done. The only gaming I have done in the past few months is a few minutes playing the NES on the Switch with the Nintendo Online Membership... and the network stress test for Dark Souls on Switch, but I only played that for an hour or two.

I have NOT played XC2 Torna yet, or any of the latest expansions. It looks amazing though. And I wonder if you get the original XC2 when you buy the new cartridge (I have not really had any reason to look it up, seeing as I already own the expansion).

I got those XC2 bonus items as well for being a My Nintendo member. And I also saw something recently about having to use a unified email or something like that. Not exactly sure, I don't really remember.

Anyways... weeks away from being a father... time has flown by once again. It might be another couple of months before I get time to post again, but it is always good hearing from you @pinky . Take it easy bud!!!

bitsbubba and pinky like this.
  4. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@tthousand , congrats on being a father. it will be the most rewarding experience of your life.

not sure about xc2, but I don't believe you get it in addition to torna. I seem to recall reading that they're both sold and played separately. torna is free for those with the expansion pack though, but buying torna by itself is $10 more, minus xc2. I think that information is on the eshop.

I've been trying to get a lot of gaming done. right now, I'm playing mega man 11 which is hard af. it's probably best to go into each stage with 9 lives especially if it's your first time in the stage. you can buy those at a little shop before going to stage selection screen.

I've also been playing octopath traveler. that game is also pretty hard too. I'm at around 110 hours on my last chapter 4 boss. :-D I'm curious how much of the game I have left.

I was about to start dq xi, but something appears to be wrong with the controller or the adapter. I'm going to reflash a disk image to see if that corrects it as I went into an emulator, and the buttons could be mapped, yet not function. lol that's why I want an xbox one s controller. anyway, I need an easier, more mellow game after the hard ones I've been playing, which makes me reluctant to go back to xc 2.

5. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

you're not going to believe this, but I woke the system from sleep mode, and a message appeared saying a series error has occurred, and it forced me to shut down. now, the system won't even power on. it's still under warranty though, but I may lose all saves due to this. :( if they can't recover my saved data, I'm just going to sell the thing. I can't lose more than 400 hours. plus, I'll be apprehensive about playing it, 'cause the possibility of it happening again would weigh on my mind. no other Nintendo system has failed on me until now. if I had hacked the thing, my saves would've been safe. good going, Nintendo. :(

6. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

Nintendo should have my switch by the end of the day tomorrow. I'm not sure if they work on the weekends, but I'm curious what the problem is.

I also got my new ps3 today. the idiot didn't pack it with any packing material and supplied no hdmi cable. I bought an hdmi cable online a few hours ago, but thinking back, I believe I have a spare cable in a cabinet. I'll check the system out this weekend. my concern is that no packing material damaged the innards of the system. I also need to check if it's not banned and cfw-compatible

7. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@tthousand , apparently, the problem was NAND corruption, so all saves, accounts, settings are gone. I might even be sent a patched system. it wouldn't surprise me really. I probably should've gotten Nintendo online for cloud saving, but it's too late now. :-/

8. 897
    tthousand

Terminating Terminators
    @pinky, that's horrible!!! I cannot even remember how many times I have lost saves on the Xbox360 and PS3(hacked). It makes it very discouraging to play-through the games again and again. I definitely feel for you buddy.

I think it is pretty lame that Nintendo's only way of backing up Switch saves is by purchasing Nintendo Online... I bet they were probably worried about people hacking the system if they had access to the saves (like the SSB Wii Hacks). But now the Switch is already hacked, and people are losing their saves. Nintendo might start losing customers if they keep up this crap.

Speaking of Nintendo losing fans... It is a shame what has happened to the emu/rom scene. From what I hear, everyone closed up shop due to pressure from Nintendo.

9. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@tthousand , yep, around 400+ hours of gaming. at this point, I wish you could just save to the cartridges. anyway, I've thought about dropping Nintendo, but at the same time, I've really enjoyed the switch. I think I'm going to try poi next. it's a blatant rip off of mario, but it's also on the ps4/xbone I believe. lol

that's actually what I thought the reason for there being no vc was: haxchi. but you're right, it's to protect themselves while punishing customers or their fans who would shower them with more money.

yeah, I remember reading about that. I see that they got rid of that Mario Kart go-kart business in Japan and that they're constantly destroying any fanmade games involving their characters.

10. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@tthousand , I just got my switch back. the serial numbers do not match. I took the liberty of recording my original's; plus, it's in an email. I heard from a friend that rcm has either been patched or partially patched with 6.1.0. I had to update to that in order to access the eshop to download all of the content I had purchased. I'm also willing to bet that I have a patched system, so backing up my saves may have been irrelevant, unless I had gone to eBay to buy a used system. I think patched systems started appearing around May or June. I wonder what Nintendo does with the exploitable systems? anyway, you can't update via normal means with 6.1.0 or you'll block rcm.

11. 3,980
    bitsbubba

bitsbubba Super Moderator / Developer Super Moderator Developer

Homicidal Super Moderator
    Home Page:
  12. 3,980
    bitsbubba

bitsbubba Super Moderator / Developer Super Moderator Developer

Homicidal Super Moderator
    Home Page:
    @pinky:oie 19113229e8ymug9p:

STLcardsWS and pinky like this.
  13. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

ah, bitsiboo says the darndest things. ;) it's nice to see you around some more. :) btw, that avatar and emoji always make me lol!

14. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

15. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

sorry for the multiple posts, but whenever I find out something new or want to express myself, I type it in here. ;)

something I can't figure out about cloud saving is why it only seems to work out of game, so if you're in game, you can't save. it says "no backup" in game as if you've never saved while it says "backed up" a few seconds after it uploads the save to cloud while out of the game. it even shows the backup having completed in the cloud saving section in system settings. what about if you always use sleep mode in game? wtf Nintendo??? is playstation like this as well? I used to have ps plus, but I rarely used it.

apparently, 6.1.0 blocks auto rcm, but rcm is still possible with a jig. I have no experience with this though as a friend told me after I updated to the latest firmware. I'm still on a hackable system, but I can't get into rcm automatically, unless a new method is discovered. I've already blown the efuses, so there's no way to downgrade. that's how microsoft stopped the jtag hack actually. 7371 dash kernel is when enough of the fuses had been blown to block it off, and even then, not all consoles were compatible.

I got all upgrades in mmx4. one of the heart pieces (crystal snail's) in mmx2 is impossible to get. I got it before, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. if only that ledge was a few inches closer. I haven't started mmx5 or 6. I did buy yooka-laylee last night. it's pretty good, like odyssey, but it's pretty confusing what you're supposed to do and where you're supposed to be go.

man, I was on hold with Nintendo for nearly 35 minutes. I was inquiring why a few games wouldn't let me get gold coins. one said that it was the wrong region from my account, yet it's a usa game and I'm in the us. the other two said that was too early to redeem these coins, which makes no sense as I waited months, and it still said the same thing. they added those points/coins to my total (70 coins in all), so that's waiting on hold for 35 minutes just for 70 cents. :-p it wasn't so much the money, but rather curiosity as to what was going on, and it was the principle of the thing. :)

edit: I just got crystal snail's heart tank. it was the last power up to get in mmx2. I kinda remember where some power ups are, but I had to search for others. I've been through x5 enough times to find everything (possibly!). I had to go through that game many times to get all weapons, since I didn't know you had to do so with few hours on the clock. ;)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  16. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@tthousand , I've gotten 100% in mega man x1-5 (prepping myself for the frustration of part 6 :-p). I'm near the end of tropical freeze (93%), currently collecting puzzle pieces. I've also gotten 100% in mega man 1-7 minus part 3 where I need to beat like 5 robot bosses. the four stages after you beat the robots are impossible. it's the bosses that are the problem. I don't think they have a weakness! I've been playing kirby too. I'm at the final world in that. that's been my play so far. oh, and I have like 11 out of 145 pagies in yooka-laylee.
    (been trying to get 100% in the games I lost saves with).

about cloud saving -- I tested it with dkc tropical freeze, since I can get to the end pretty quickly. I deleted the save, then downloaded the cloud save. it worked!

17. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

wtf!? my switch just now backed up a save to cloud while in game (sleep mode). you think there may have been some sort of verification process with my online subscription or something? it wasn't doing that before, so it makes no sense.

18. 897
    tthousand

Terminating Terminators
    I noticed that the other day too... All the games I have that could be backed up to the cloud were already backed up to the cloud, and I didn't do anything to make that happen besides purchase the Nintendo Online subscription. Although I did notice Dark Souls will NOT backup to the cloud... which kind of sucks. I'm hoping one day they will patch that.

19. 897
    tthousand

Terminating Terminators
    And @bitsbubba, glad to see you still hanging around brother!!! I saw on facebook a while ago that you were doing better... I pray that you stay strong. This world needs more people like you!

pinky and bitsbubba like this.
  20. 12,626
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I've gone through mm1-7, and x1-5 again. I also have 100% (not 200% yet) in dkc with funky and normal modes. now, I've started odyssey. I've remembered a lot, but I've also forgotten where a lot of moons are. I've already gotten 50 power moons in one day, and I just started the lake kingdom. :D I'm just a bit worried about this new switch. I checked the wii u I had been using with the same extension cable for several years. it booted right up, so I either had a defective system or the extension cable caused some sort of power surge. that cable actually fell apart in my hands when I removed it. plus, my media player, which was receiving no power, could suddenly receive power once I removed it. that's my working theory anyway.