PS3HEN Question: I noticed a "Screenshot" function on every game I played.

Discussion in 'PS3 Homebrew' started by Infiltraitor, Jun 10, 2019.

1. 90
    Infiltraitor

Infiltraitor Forum Noob

Hello Everyone,

I am overwhelmed what surprises I can yet to discover using HEN on the PS3.

I noticed this "Screenshot" function on my PS3. Although this function is not new to me, as I am aware I had this back on my OFW COD gaming.

I'm not sure if this feature is added by HEN, or by installing multiMAN and/or webMAN MOD. As I tried it there seems to be an error, or at least not an error code. It says something like "Cannot be processed at this time"? Or something like that.

Is this normal? I would like to use the screenshot function though, but I cant make it to work. I might have missed something. I would appreciate, if you guys can guide me on how to make this feature work.

2. 4,996
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

In OFW the screnshots are enabled by some functions inside the EBOOT.BIN of the game. There are only a few games that enables it officially (as example, "everybody's golf" or "just cause") but most of the games doesnt have it
    At some point it was found a patch for CFW's to enable screenshots for all games/apps... and now that patch seems to be "ported" to HEN, so is HEN who is enabling screenshots

I dont know if there are games incompatibles with it though, but try with other games more simples, or try to make an screenhot of a homebrew app

STLcardsWS and Infiltraitor like this.
  3. 2,519
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Oblivion will show a black screen when trying to take an in-game screen shot. This happens on CFW as well.

sandungas likes this.
  4. 2,058
    Berion

Berion Developer

@sandungas I often using such feature in the past and using this option from XMB cause random freezing on some games if abused (i.e Ratchet & Clank: Deadlocked Remaster). In some games is even impossible as they call pause menu or something if user push the PS Button. So it is not perfect, yet still useful.

sandungas likes this.
  5. 90
    Infiltraitor

Infiltraitor Forum Noob

I often used screenshots on COD games like the MW3 and the AW back on OFW, and not all games has it. This time I was glad it shows on every game I played. To bad it doesn't work, I will try doing it on a known game that I knew has it. Like CODMW3.

6. 2,519
    Cypher_CG89

Hmm... everytime I tried to use it in-game it would give the pause menu on COD games, I could screenshot the menus and stuff easily but gameplay it would give me the start menu.

7. 90
    Infiltraitor

Infiltraitor Forum Noob

Yes you're right, on COD games specially on the AW. It does make the game pause making it irritating because you can't capture a great scene. But for some parts though like the title screen can make a good wallpaper too, but not ingame unfortunately. And knowing it now has on every game with HEN would be better.

If only we can have some PSP like PRX plugins work for the PS3 like the TempAR screen capture that would be wonderful.

8. 4,996
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Just for curiosity sake...
    ManaGunZ have his own custom implementation of a screenshot function (works by keeping pressed the L2+R2 triggers inside managunz)
    Just to be clear... it makes a screenshot of managunz (not the game mounted by managunz), when you exit managunz this custom implementation of screenshots stops working

Im mentioning this because managunz is open source code, and "maybe" could be made a screenshot plugin .sprx by repurposing this part of managunz code
    You know... the goal should be to take that code from managunz related with screenshots and make a extremelly tiny plugin (trying to make it the most efficient and simple posible) specific for screenshots

Infiltraitor likes this.
  9. 2,519
    Cypher_CG89

I am sure I somehow managed to take an in-game screenshot on BO2 zombies, specifically on Origin's, without the pause menu appearing. Not sure if it was taken using the XMB method or if it was part of the Mod menu I was messing about with. Anyways the menu was Reincarnation. Might look into this if I remeber the next time I play BO2.

I know that for BO2 MP screenshots I just used theatre to play back the match then take the screenshot this way. I may have done this with Zombies as well but not to sure about it. At least this way you ain't guna getting killed because your standing still trying to get one, plus you can then choose the right angle and where to take it from as I did with these below.

These are also used as my BO2 Profile Screenshots on one of my Profiles in Combat Record/Showcase. I went a bit OTT with them, looking for the right angle, place on the map, lighting-angles, exposure etc.

Infiltraitor likes this.
  10. 169
    Gonçalo Araújo

Gonçalo Araújo Member

This not only for COD games, I tried playing Need for Speed Most Wanted 2012 and Blur™ and I tried the screenshot feature and also irritates me a lot when I do a screenshot it appeared always the Pause Menu.

Someone should create shortcut when pressing a specific buttons to capture the perfect moment of our gameplay without went to Pause Menu, maybe in managunz!!!
    Screenshot in-game is main reason that I installed HEN, there's a issue I take Screenshot from Blur™ Game and final image will be very dark because of XMB Menu in-game color is black, but it shows a bit of image, I didn't expect that
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    RandomDude likes this.
  11. 90
    Infiltraitor

Infiltraitor Forum Noob

A working plugin used on ManaGunz for screenshot then brought to XMB to use would be great though. AFAIR (I have to mention PSP .prx) they have separate prx working on 3 things. On the XMB, PSP game (including Homebrew), and PSX games. I'm not sure with PS3 if it works the same way.

Those are great shots you got, the kind of shots I wanted during MP as well. I had to say, doing the screenshot is not easy on PS3. I mean you can't play MP while doing it as you'll be loosing a lot of time taking a screenshot, then only to capture a headshot instead LOL. Definitely need a combo button for capturing though.

Those are great shots as well, just a bit too dark to see. I'm sure a plugin can get the job done. I don't mind a little freeze ingame as it's doing it as long as I get the shot I need though :)

eMcRafael likes this.
  12. 169
    Gonçalo Araújo

Gonçalo Araújo Member

@DeViL303 You could also develop a new plugin that you can do screenshot whenever you're in XMB Menu or you're in the game by pressing a specific set of buttons, kind of shortcut and then it save it immediately in Imagens without lag the game or lose performance in the game by saving the screenshot.

That sucks when you go to XMB take a screenshot purposely and go automatically to Pause Menu, should exist a plugin when you pressing a button without accessing XMB to save screenshot at precious moment without appearing the menu

13. 12
    eMcRafael

eMcRafael Forum Noob

Hi guys. I was able to take screenshots of Infamous but, since i've installed webmanMOD (the latest version available) i've got the message "cannot be processed at this time". Any idea? :(

14. 2,519
    Cypher_CG89

In webMAN MOD settings check how much memory is allocated to webMAN. I always make sure its at it minimum setting, this might have something to do with it or it may not, worth a look.

eMcRafael likes this.
  15. 3,136
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

These memory settings matters if you are transferring files in background, scanning content or browsing the file manager.
    If you're not doing some of these tasks, the memory usage of the plugin should be minimal.

The screenshot may not work with some games... please check if it happens on other games. Also try with the latest beta.
    If you're on HEN, update to the latest release.

Algol likes this.
  16. 12
    eMcRafael

eMcRafael Forum Noob

Hi @aldostools I was able to take screenshots of Infamous, Managunz, Multiman, etc. untill i've decidied to install WebmanMOD. I've tried updating HEN, change the memory settings of Webman and also "close" webman with no success. :(