Question regarding games from other consoles

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Windows10User, May 14, 2019.

1. 147
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Can I use non-true Dualshock 3 controllers on a PS2 game (and on PSX, PSP, GB, GBC, GBA and Megadrive games) if played on a PS3 CFW console (my model doesn't support PS2 games so I think I'd have to use an emulator)? I only have Dualshock 3 rip-offs and a Thrustmaster controllers. Regardless if I can use non-true Dualshock 3 controllers or not to play a PS2 game on a PS3 emulator, can I use them like if I was playing a PS3 game on the PS3, i.e., without the cable (and regarding the ones which use a dongle, can I play the games with the dongles?) and can I use the EyeToy camera (and the PlayStation Eye camera) and the wired and wireless Buzz! Buzzers? Can I upscale PS2 games and change the PSX, PS2, PSP, GB, GBC, GBA and Megadrive games' buttons?

Can PSX, GB, GBC, GBA and Megadrive games be on an external HDD unlike PS2 games (at least) and if so, why? Will I be prompted to copy PSP games from the external HDD to my internal HDD (like in the PS2 games' case) in order to spare time? If so, should I directly FTP them (via wi-fi in my case since I don't have an ethernet cable) to the PS3's internal HDD or should I connect the external HDD to my PC, copy them to it, connect it to the PS3 and agree on copying them to my internal HDD when prompted? Which would be faster?

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  2. 654
    umart666

umart666 Member

you'll have real trouble finding that old dinput controller that's usb and still works that won't work on the ps3.most stuf from last 15 years will work out of the box.

in retroarch you can remap everything,on ps3's emus you can't but most stuff will be mapped correctly out of the box.roms for retroach can be anywhere (internal,external...)

you can scale,albeit somewhat limited psx and ps2 games but that will depend more on your display.for psx games irisman has the most options avaiable.

psp games currently need to be on internal drive and you need psp launcher.i think managers will also copy them to internal drive,but i'm not sure on that.

as you don't have LAN setup i'd forget about FTP'ing anything over couple of GBs on the wlan and use external drive to transfer files.

DeViL303 and Windows10User like this.
  3. 4,714
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Wanna-BeTA Tester Moderator

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    I answered all these questions for you the other day in Reddit bud

jcorrea likes this.
  4. 147
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Sorry, I didn't understand. Can I use other controllers to play PS2 games? Regardless if I can use non-true Dualshock 3 controllers or not to play a PS2 game on a PS3 emulator, can I use them like if I was playing a PS3 game on the PS3, i.e., without the cable (and regarding the ones which use a dongle, can I play the games with the dongles?) and can I use the EyeToy camera (and the PlayStation Eye camera) and the wired and wireless Buzz! Buzzers?

Not all of them.

5. 654
    umart666

umart666 Member

that depends on a controller,there's no one rule for all,but more or less all controllers from like last 15 years or so would work on the ps3,and when they work they work in anything that ps3 can run.camera and buzzers i can't comment because i don't have experience nor interest in that peripherals but i can't see why they wouldn't work on the ps3 as they were designed for that console.camera i think could work in any game that supports camera but buzzers i think work only in that game.

but you should honestly invest in a original DS3 as is still my favourite controller to this day,and i'm using it anywhere i can.i have ds4,i had all the major versions of xbox controller (even the duke back in the day),couple of nintendo pro versions,better known chinese PC and android ones and nothing comes close to DS3 in my book,and it's dirt cheap secondhand at least in my area.

sandungas likes this.
  6. 147
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

An user told me only original DualShock 3 controllers work on the PS2 mode. I can't find them anywhere for years. They're available on Amazon but they're expensive and I don't know if they're rip-offs.

7. 654
    umart666

umart666 Member

not true.i had basically the cheapest chinese copy of the ds2 with fake rumble motors there is that i've brought from local chinese store for like 1 eu or so,just because it was so cheap and was usb and it worked perfectly on ps3 in everything.daughterboards in those controllers are generic ones mass produced and utterly cheap and they're programmed to support both xinput and ps standard and they'll just work more or less on anything.it would be more expensive for someone to design whole daughterboard specially not to work with or in something rather to simply order those generic ones.

buy ds3 locally.pay attention to the label on the back and get scp toolkit to test and you'll be fine,you'll pay less and you'll get proper genuine ds3 that will even work on the pc wirelessly with generic bluetooth adapter for like 3-4 bucks.well worth spending not even 20 dollars in my book.

sandungas likes this.
  8. 147
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

And can I play without the cable?

They're sold out for years in my country and they only sell the rip-offs.

9. 654
    umart666

umart666 Member

10. 147
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Where can I get true DualShock 3 controllers, then? According to some Amazon user reviews, some of them are also fake and they're expensive too.

I've been splitting + 4 GB PKGs and PS3 ISOs on my 1 TB external FAT32 HDD since multiMAN doesn't recognize the PKG files on a NTFS drive and so I can't do multiple package install but if I use ManaGunZ I suppose I can do + 4 GB multiple PKG installs and load + 4 PS3 ISOs on a NTFS drive so I wouldn't need to split them or create partitions, right? Which cluster should I use to create the partitions?

Here it is said it won't work even after creating 2 FAT32 partitions of 2 TB on the 4 TB external HDD so should I buy 2 external 2 TB HDDs, instead?

11. 654
    umart666

umart666 Member

try searching on your local ads,craigslist,trading facebook groups,or whatever people use to sell stuff in your area.

on storage as i said if i were you and had such a high need for storage i'd setup netserv and not worry about splitting and dealing with fat32 as it's really not worth it.

12. 147
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

But I want to have the games on the external HDDs and if I use NTFS I won't be able to install PKGs via multiMAN nor the RAPs via PSN Patch and I may also have problems playing games on multiMAN because it may not read the drive. Also, I've used Universal Media Server and the movies lag/stop on the PS3 and the PC and the PS3 do a lot of noise so I might have the same problems as playing games via ps3netserv.

Regarding a 1.5 TB internal HDD, I'm afraid that I buy a new one which works well but after some time starts stuttering in games (it looks more likely to happen on cutscenes) like I've read on some Amazon reviews.

13. 4,714
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Wanna-BeTA Tester Moderator

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    I've never had stuttering problems even with the stock 5200rpm drives. Only time I had stuttering issues was when the HDD itself was going bad.

14. 654
    umart666

umart666 Member

depending on the game things can go iffy on drives,especially when they're almost full and really fragmented,which tend to be the case especially with folder format backups.sometimes that can be fixed simply by rebuilding the database (which essentially defrags the drive),sometimes it can't.

if you play games that are big and are streaming huge resources all the time especially if they're in folder format (for example like skyrim,gtaV...) then fastest and biggest hdd kinda helps a lot,even sshd is worth it.if you're like me and you don't use that much storage in the first place,and you're avoiding folder and pkg format like a plague then basically any hdd will work even really really junky and old 5200rpm one ripped from dead laptop. :)

15. 147
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

5200 RPM? Isn't the originaI PS3 HDD 5400 RPM? If so, 5300 would be a downgrade, I guess. Maybe it's a question of luck since some HDDs may degrade quicker than others, even if some are the same model as others.

Well, I guess I'll only run PKG games if I only find certain games on that format (I suppose the bought PSN games count as PKG?) and I won't use JB ones. What if the games are on ISO format and are big on size or/and my internal HDD is getting low on space (we could do a lot of hypothetic scenarios, I guess)? If a game stutters will all games stutter or just the big ones? Also, if the ISO (or JB) games run from an external HDD instead of an internal one will it prevent the games from stuttering?

So, can I buy any 1.5 internal HDD (as long as it meets the PS3's requirements [like having to be 2.5" and up to 9.5mm, I think], of course) without worrying about it?

16. 654
    umart666

umart666 Member

piracy is strictly forbidden on this forum.i'm using almost exclusively iso's created from my own discs.i've yet to find any problems with that,dealing with iso's is much easier,more elegant,iso's work from almost everything,they don't fragment the drive...it's just a superrior solution in every way in my humble opinion.

sandungas likes this.
  17. 147
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

I know, the question is that I can only find some games on PKG format (the games which were only released for the PSN) and I already have some bought PSN games and I think the latter ones count as if they were PKG games, right? If so and if I almost fill up the HDD, may the games stutter, and if so, which ones (only the PKG, the legit PSN, the ISO, the JB, all of them or only the big ones, regardless of the games' format)?

Why are games that were only released for the PSN and games for HAN only available on PKG format?

18. 654
    umart666

umart666 Member

i think anyone will interpret 'finding them' as piracy. on HAN/HEN pkg was only method possible of running backups simply because there wasn't a way to run ISO's,as that needs patching the firmware in specific way that wasn't available to the devs until very recently.same thing applied to CFW2OFW.

backups of any kind by themselves as i've understand from forum rules,general experience on the net and experience on this forum isn't considered piracy by itself.

hdd will stutter when filled almost to the max capacity by it's design,there's no way around it the very last 30 percent of the mechanical drive is slow and unresponsive no matter what you do or with what you fill it,it's just how the thing works.

iso's will work the best because rather than being a collection of multiple smaller files it's one continuous file this it isn't fragmeting the disk,thus loading from it will,at least in theory be more consistent.that doesn't matter that much in most cases but where every bit of performance matters,it helps and can help greatly.sshd and ssd's would fare even better.

in conclusion,nobody can tell you what to do exactly,what to buy etc because your needs and wants are very specific and limiting.i suggest to you rather than theorize ad infinitum to just start using the ps3,get the best hdd you can for internal use and a decent external drive and limit yourself to just the stuff you really want to play right now,and all will be good.

sandungas likes this.
  19. 147
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

There wasn't a way until very recently? And what about running JB games now and in the past? So, in the past ISO ( and I suppose JB) backups must have been converted to PKG in order to work (maybe it didn't work for all the games)? What do you mean with CFW2OFW? CFW2OFW wasn't playable until very recently too? But aren't they on PKG format already? What about HFW? So, there's CFW/HAN/HFW/HEN. Am I forgetting one of them and what's the difference between them? What's ODE which shows up on PS3 ISO TOOLS and should I always choose the 4.76 Firmware and the makeps3iso options on it when creating an ISO and if so, why? What's the C00 format? Do you think if I should download the PKG games (and their RAP) I bought from the PSN from sites like p.sndl.net or downloadgameps3.com and transfer them afterwards to the external HDD to be installed in the internal one instead of downloading and installing them from the PSN? Which is faster? These are PSN only games except one which I can't find its JB/ISO version for my region but I could also download its PKG version from the mentioned sites and I'd spare space on the internal HDD since it would go to the external one. Are PKG games' load times smaller than JB/ISO ones regardless if the latter are run by an internal HDD or an external one? What about the JB load times vs. ISO and the internal HDD's load times vs external ones?

30 percent? That's ridiculous. If it was 3%... Then I might be screwed even though a lot of the games may run from an external HDD. Does that mean I'll have to buy 2 internal HDDs to be able to store all the games I want and I'll have to swap them every time I want to play one of them that's in a different internal HDD? I thought SSD didn't make a difference. And what if I have 30% (or less) free space but I have a lot of ISOs? Will it stutter, anyway? But some users claimed on Amazon that the games stuttered after swapping the internal HDD and I guess not all of them had 30% (or less) free space. Also, I've read the PS3 at some point prevents the HDD to be completely filled up. Is it true and if so when does it start (5%/10% remaining space?)?

So, if I buy a 1.5 internal HDD how much will the PS3 recognize? 1.2 TB/1.3 TB? And the greater the HDD's size is, the greater the PS3 reserved space will be?

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  20. 654
    umart666

umart666 Member

i've already answered most of those questions,in other ones that i've didn't there's no point of answering,sorry.enjoy your day.