Question regarding OFW 4.70 -> 4.75/4.81 firmware changes (Backup restore utility)

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by ixaxi, Nov 12, 2017.

1. 3
    ixaxi

ixaxi Member

Hello! I've always been one to check up on the updates and workings of the PS scene over the years, but not often enough to have a complete understanding of it in itself, so please forgive me if I'm using the wrong terms or not explaining myself properly here. So:

From my understanding, these following files are removed from the game folders within the backup upon completing the restoration process:
    • dev_hdd0/game/NPXX?????/USRDIR/X.EDAT
    • dev_hdd0/game/NPXX?????/LICDIR/LIC.DAT

This makes it so that the game will either give an error upon starting, or require logging into PSN to re-active the license for the game regardless of whether it was restored from the unprotected/protected (archive.dat/archive2.dat) area of the backup. So would this be the only issue in preventing the games from running? If so, would placing the license/edat files into their correct paths on the HDD after restoration solve this issue?

I had first considered modifying the files related to the PS3's web browser (From the backup) to allow saving any file to the HDD, but after a few hours of limited tinkering with this, the file will never actually save itself there. Looking more into it, I coincidentally found that there was an attempt to do something similar to this on this site 2 years ago. *

I'll attempt to expand on their tests from that thread later on, but I wanted to make sure that there was no 'extra' process involved in allowing installed games to run on OFW, such as logging the license file to a separate location after it gets activated.

Thank you for your time and responses in advance.

* It seems I'm unable to post the link as a new user, but the thread is titled "Redirecting browser downloads to /dev_hdd0" under this same site.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  2. 11,649
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

there's a way to pkg license files and direct them to the license folder. it may only work with edat files though, but I'm not really sure. the pkg method creates the package and a generic edat from what I remember, so I'm not sure if you can pkg rif files this way. however, there's a way to create a pkg that installs to anywhere using ../ (dot, dot, forward slash goes up a directory, so you'd have to say create a game install pkg, then go up a directory and enter the licensing directory}.. I also don't know how well it would work though. plus, the pkg/edat method forces a ps3logo.dat to appear in that location which can be annoying. I believe the edat pkg method installs to the profile that's active at the time. the install to anywhere method may do the same (never tried to install a license this way). I'm afraid I don't know much about how the backup procedure works or if the above method would work.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
Tags: