Questions on PS3 CFW...

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by ReddMcKnight, Nov 24, 2017.

1. 92
    Mozzy5837

Mozzy5837 Member

livin the dream
    OK change to manual and turn off dynamic and set 40 .it might be like jet but you can turn down just make sure its higher then standard

2. 11,625
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

40 is pretty low. 65 or so is a good number. that's around 150 degrees F . it won't be loud af , and it will still cool the system down pretty well. this is for a slim. for a phat, you might drop that number to 60 .

Yugonibblit likes this.
  3. 44
    ReddMcKnight

ReddMcKnight Member

I'm still having issues changing it. As I said before, everytime I save and reboot, it goes right back to SYSCON.

EDIT: Also, how do I update PSN .pkg files once installed? I'm sick of them asking for an update, and I fear I may accidentally click "yes" one day. lol

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  4. 159
    Silk

Silk Member

I had a CFW console a few years ago and at some point I inadvertently updated to whatever the OFW was at the time, and blew out my CFW forever. Or so I thought. Now that we have CFW up to 4.82 on most consoles again, I'm keen to get back into the world of CFW and see what all it can do now.

But, a lot has changed in 5+ years and I'm trying to get my head around it all. To that end, I have a few questions and I would greatly appreciate either answers if anyone has them, or links to resources which have the answers. I've been surfing through this site off & on all day but there is just SO much information, and it almost all seems to assume a pretty deep level of pre-existing knowledge, which I don't have.

So here are the things I'm asking so far, in no particular order...

1. I've got 3 PS3 consoles in different places, and one PS4. On the PS4 I have everything on an external HD- games, saves, the works. I'd love to replicate that as much as possible so that I can just grab my games drive and go to a different place on a different console and pick up & play. But is this possible? From what I'm reading, it's possible to put PS3 games on an external and play them, but not the save data? Is that correct? Is there a decent way to approximate the simplicity of the PS4 saving everything entirely to an external HD?

2. I have a few dozen games on disc, and it's always a pain to have to go get the right disc for the right game and bring it to wherever I'm playing blah blah blah. I'd really like to just rip my entire collection to the above mentioned external HD, and be able to just leave the discs on the shelf. Am I correct that any of the major package managers will allow me to do this? Are there any exceptions or "gotchas" I should be aware of?

3. I love classic games, so emulators are something I'd very much like to run. What's the best way to get into running emulators on a PS3?

4. For now I've installed Ferrox Cobra 4.82, but it seems a lot of people are "downgrading" to Rebug 4.81. Why is this? What does Rebug offer that Ferrox doesn't? What is the appeal of Rebug specifically?

5. I'm on CEX Ferrox at the moment, but I keep reading about DEX and I've seen at least one person saying to switch from CEX to DEX, but I didn't catch why. What's the significance of CEX vs. DEX and why would I want to switch to DEX?

6. I'm not a big network game player, but occasionally it might be nice to be able to jump on PSN and play something. The last time I had CFW, this was an absolute no-no without any reliable workaround. Go online with CFW, get banned. And this happened to one of my consoles before I realized the risk. Today it seems there are several solutions to being able to go online and play even on CFW. What is the preferred option for this, and why? What are the catches or issues I would need to know and watch out for with regards to potentially getting banned?

7. As I mentioned I have 3 consoles, one was previously banned. I believe this means its IDPS is hosed, but it sounds like I could extract the IDPS from one of my other consoles and use it on the banned one, to effectively "unban" it. Is this true and if so, what do I need to know about doing this?

8. Is there anything else I should know, maybe that you wish someone had told you before you got into CFW the first time? It's been so long, I pretty much feel like a total noob all over again.

I think that's it for now. I'm going to continue hunting around on my own for answers but if anyone knows the answers to the above or can link me to resources that explain it, I will appreciate it forever! =)

5. 92
    Mozzy5837

Mozzy5837 Member

livin the dream
    You can update games via multi man or via the game it won't update your system. Game update - is OK. system update -NO

6. 92
    Mozzy5837

Mozzy5837 Member

livin the dream
    Install rebug 4.81.2 Change from cex to dex via rebug tool box,watch a YouTube vid its easy, then go rebug toolbox enable cobra and webman then restart ps3 then install multiman so you can store your games on HDD with mm, when you have these installed ,also you can view and change you idps via webman setup .

7. 92
    Mozzy5837

Mozzy5837 Member

livin the dream
    "Ps3 brewology" has the multi man and home brew pkgs you will need

8. 92
    Mozzy5837

Mozzy5837 Member

livin the dream
    Wouldn't you have a fat console fan running higher then a slim as slims run cooler?

9. 11,625
    pinky

the fan should be running higher, yes. that's a temp threshold, so the fans would try to keep the temperature at or below 60 degrees C or 140 degrees F for a phat. the slim's fan, in this example, would be trying to keep the temperature at or below 65 degrees C or 150 degrees F, so it's running hotter. :)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Yugonibblit likes this.
  10. 159
    Silk

Silk Member

But why? What is the advantage/difference of dex over cex? And what is the advantage of rebug over ferrox?

Good to know about webman supporting idps change, I didn't know that... very nice.

11. 92
    Mozzy5837

Mozzy5837 Member

livin the dream
    Dex is developer firmware for big boys ,cex is closer to retail.

12. 159
    Silk

Silk Member

OK but that doesn't mean anything. "Big boys?" So a girl I can't use it? Or someone only 5 feet tall? Seriously, can you link me to anything that actually explains what the differences/benefits are?

13. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

on rebug versions there's no difference currently,all the features are the same.

14. 159
    Silk

Silk Member

So then there is absolutely no benefit to Rebug over Ferrox?

15. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

for me there is.only rebug plays ps1,2 and ps3 backups straight from xmb via integrated webman.ferrox 4.82 cobra can't play ps1 backups via webman and overflow cobra can't play ps2 iso's via webman.

i don't like using backup managers.only thing that's not perfect is that rebug can play ps2 iso's only from internal hdd.

16. 11,625
    pinky

if all you want to do is play backups, any current cex firmware should do. rebug is mostly for advanced users.

Mozzy5837 likes this.
  17. 159
    Silk

Silk Member

Aha... ok perfect, that's what I was looking for. I am very interested in playing older generation games as well, so it sounds like Rebug is the way to go. I can live with PS2 on internal only... as long as everything else can live on External so I can move between consoles smoothly, that should work great. Thanks!

18. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

maybe i remember it wrong,but i think 4.81 ferrox cobra could not play psX backups at all.4.82 ferrox cant play ps1 and 4.82 overflow cant play ps2 iso's.that's why i'm on rebug.

silk: yes,ps3 iso's and psX .bins and .img work from external nffs.for savegames,snes/gba/genesis roms,tools and packages i'm using fat32 thumbstick.

you could keep ps2 iso's on external ntfs and use irisman to copy them on internal hdd as needed.managunz also work for this.multiman needs usb.cfg,and driver switching for copying from nfts to work,so in my opinion is not very practical.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  19. 159
    Silk

Silk Member

Wow well if that's true then I definitely can't be on Ferrox Cobra since a big part of my goal is to rip my discs to a single HD so I can move between consoles without dealing with discs all the time. That would really surprise me if it were true, but regardless it sounds like Rebug is the way to go for me.

I still haven't heard what the difference/advantage of Dex vs. Cex is, and I'd like to know.

20. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

it varies between releases,most often cobra,qa flags,idps dumping etc is on dex version of the firmware,but the lines have been blurred with rebug.

i've personally tested what i'm saying on 4.82 cfw's.multiple tries,countless restores,webman versions,prepntfs versions,etc..