Questions on PS3 CFW...

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by ReddMcKnight, Nov 24, 2017.

1. 3,980
    bitsbubba

bitsbubba Super Moderator / Developer Super Moderator Developer

Homicidal Super Moderator
    Home Page:
    Also best with a Cobra CFW is to rip as iso

2. 159
    Silk

Silk Member

Yep I won't be in a big hurry when I do it. Just looking forward to moving my disc library to an HD so I can play on either of my phat consoles (and eventually my slim 3xxx! ;) ) in either room whenever the mood strikes!

3. 159
    Silk

Silk Member

Good point, thanks for the tip!

4. 7,272
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

No having the fan working harder will only help your console. Its not that CFW needs the fan running quicker, its that Sony set the PS3 up based on its loudness in OFW, and really it does not run cool enough, and that one of the main reasons you hear of so many consoles dying and showing YLOD etc.

5. 159
    Silk

Silk Member

This is great to hear as I was wondering the same thing after I got temp warnings and set the fan to auto. :encouragement:

6. 7,272
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

If you were getting warnings that is not a good sign, running the fans faster might make it last a bit longer but it sounds like you might need to get the thermal paste done. Make sure your temps don't ever go over approx. 75c ideally, really bad for solder at those kind of levels, 65c or lower is better.

bitsbubba likes this.
  7. 159
    Silk

Silk Member

Oh shit... I had no idea. Yeah it was at 85c at first and after the fan ran a while it came down in the 70s. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks!

8. 6,134
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

85ºC is too much, you should make a good review of temperatures, this is hard to explain, but you need to check temperatures in the worst scenarios posibles, basically this means inside games, and specially when the games does some "temperature peaks" because there is a lot of graphic load

About what i mentioned about not messing around with plugins because are going to add more things to learn... well, webman and sman are plugins XD
    But you have installed them already and doesnt requires much work to make it run games, just place the games with the correct formats in his paths and mess around a bit with the settings, this is not dangerous, in the worst scenario you are going to have some console crashes, but everyone in CFW is used to this kind of crashes, no big harm

To make dumps of original bluray games you should install another standalone backup manager, most populars are mentioned here:
    http://www.psx-place.com/threads/an-intro-to-cfw-ps3-homebrew-wip-thread.15528/unread
    The option to make the dump is usually named just "copy" or "create iso" and is created on internall hdd, iso is prefered to avoid fragmentation, loads faster, and has bigger compatibility

9. 159
    Silk

Silk Member

Thanks for the tips on temp. As for ripping my games, I know I can just get another manager to do it... I would go with MultiMan. But I like the idea of using Webman and it very clearly claims to be able to do it, but I can't find such feature anywhere. And FTP also won't work but I can't see any obvious reason why not. I don't like when things "should" do something that I can't make them do, so I'm a bit too stubborn to give up at this point. I at least want to know *why* something won't work, if in fact it won't. Once I've got those answers if it can't be done then I'll just move on to MultiMan, no big deal.

10. 3,980
    bitsbubba

Home Page:
    what CFW are you on? do you have the latest webMAN MOD? Full version?

11. 159
    Silk

Silk Member

REX Rebug 4.81, and latest webman from github. But you bring up an interesting question. I saw something about holding down L1 to get full version on the PS3, but I couldn't figure out what that meant exactly - hold it down where? When? I never could get anything to launch that looked less than "full" so frankly I'm not sure what I'm running.

12. 3,980
    bitsbubba

Home Page:
    Hold down L1 while pushing X to install, you can let go of L1 as soon as the PS3 shuts down as soon as you back in the XMB hold down select until the menu pops up. There's an option for it there

13. 159
    Silk

Silk Member

OH!!! SONOFA!! OK, there was no way I'd ever have figured that out on my own. There is nothing at all to indicate that you're supposed to *launch* webman while holding down L1. I kept just sitting there, holding it down, and nothing would happen. So I'd let go and then launch it to see if anything different had happened, but of course all it did was restart. There's also no indication whatsoever that I can see, about any "select menu"! Plus, once I got there, I had no way to tell you could scroll to more options than are shown at first. Everything is a discoverability nightmare. LOL Took me a while to realize I could keep scrolling down and more stuff would appear! Including... Backup Disk to HDD!

Which got me all excited for a few seconds, until I tried it and it didn't work at all. Selecting it launches the game in the drive and that's it.

Also I found the FTP servers in the list, launched the Rebug server... and no joy. Still nothing. I end up connecting to... nothing. No directory listing, no tree, just... nothing. No errors or anything. It DOES connect but... to what I couldn't tell you. I'm not using Filezilla but it really shouldn't matter... maybe I'll try FZ anyway just to see, haven't used that thing in years.

So any further suggestions on how to backup a disc?

14. 3,980
    bitsbubba

Home Page:
    @Silk not sure & don't remember how webMAN MOD rips game but by using multiMAN I know you have the choice for ISO & to where you want to put it

15. 159
    Silk

Silk Member

OK... I'm probably at the point of just using MM then. At least now I know why WM wasn't working, now I see that it does... ish. At least it launches and whatnot so it IS installed.

I'll screw around with it a bit more and if still no joy, it'll be MM time. Thanks so much for the pointers on this!

16. 3,980
    bitsbubba

Home Page:
    @Silk by the way multiMAN means multi- MANager as in file/ftp/game/etc...

17. 159
    Silk

Silk Member

Yep I knew that much. =)

OK one more question... just read this about MM:

"Do not accept any update, from the console, the network or the original games. If you want to play a game which require an update, you need to dump the game to HDD and use multiMAN to launch the game."

it's a few years old though. Is this still the case? I just launched a game (a freebie I got from Sony... God of War) from the normal XMB and it updated itself to the latest software. I didn't notice any ill effects so... is this something to worry about? Do I really need to only launch games from MM?

18. 3,980
    bitsbubba

Home Page:
    Not really anymore as updates for game require (sometimes) the latest FW which we are on (mostly)

19. 159
    Silk

Silk Member

OK perfect, that's what my instincts were telling me, glad to hear they were right.

20. 3,980
    bitsbubba

Home Page:
    Have you use SEN Enabler to spoof to 4.82 yet?