PS3 RCO Mage (Dumping RCO's)

Discussion in 'PS3 Homebrew' started by Cypher_CG89, Nov 14, 2018.

1. 1,619
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Maybe this is going to be something so simple I am going to bash my head off a brick wall for being so dense but here it is...

RCO Mage is constantly giving me the "Cannot find the specified path" error no matter where i put it or label folders and files to be dumped, even when they are labelled exactly the same as the RCO being dumped. Or as they are when dumped using PUAD GUI.

A little help please.... as it is really annoying me having to use PUAD GUI every time I want to to get at 1 RCO specifically for the projects I am working on. (And PUAD GUI uses RCO Mage to dump the RCO's from the PUP file, so WTF am I doing wrong??? :mad:o_O:D)

2. 9,874
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

never encountered that error myself. the xml you name can be named anything you want, 'cause I don't think it technically exists in the rco. not being able to find the specified path could mean that some of the resources are not in the location as outlined by the xml. it will error if this isn't correct.

3. 3,695
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

The rcomageGUI is a bit complicated (for uneeded reason), you need to enter the path for the extracted files, and also the name of the main .xml

What i do is first, click in "RCO input"... browse for the RCO file click in it, and his name will appear at bottom of that window (next to file name), click in it and copy the name (but not the file extension)
    Then click in "open" to acept and close that window

Then click in "XML output".... browse and in the window that opens do a right-mouse-button click and choose ---> create new folder
    For the new folder name... do a ctrl+v (to paste the file name we copyed at first step)
    Then enter in the new folder... and do a ctrl+v for the file name

Example... the file you want to extract is explore_plugin.rco
    Click in "RCO input" browser for the file and copy the name (explore_plugin)... and "open"
    Then click in "XML output"... create a new folder and paste the name (explore_plugin), then enter in the folder explore_plugin... and paste the file name explore_plugin.xml

This creates a folder named explore_plugin with a explore_plugin.xml inside it
    This xml file is like an index of everything... it represents the contents of the original rco
    And for compiling you need to indicate where is that xml

Is hard to explain sorry, but this is the faster way (and accurate at the same time), is a bit tricky because it requires several steps, but when you are used to it is fast :)

ShaolinAssassin and pinky like this.
  4. 9,874
    pinky

wait, are you using rco mage or rco mage gui? try gui if rco mage isn't working. I've tried decompiling scripts, converting vag to wav, etc, but I don't believe I've ever tried extracting the contents of an rco file in its entirety with rco mage.

btw, @sandungas , that's normally the way I do it as well as not to get confused when there are multiple rco files in the same directory. :-p

5. 3,695
    sandungas

Yes, heheh, is to keep a bit of order, the thing becomes tricky when you are doing with several rco files
    Are 3 or 4 steps for every file, where you need to use the left hand for fine copypasting, lol
    So is needed to follow the same sequence of actions several times

Btw, to avoid problems, another thing i use to do also is to copy the files next to rcomagegui.exe
    This way when you open rcomagegui.exe you see the files and there is no room for error with the paths
    otherway... i noticed if you extract an rco first... and then other... the path for the previous rco is taken for the second, so you could be overwriting files incorrectly. You think you are extracting them in a path but are extracted in the path of the previous rco... and everything becomes messy :/

pinky likes this.
  6. 1,619
    Cypher_CG89

Followed that to the letter and still getting "System cannot find specified path". This is really getting annoying lol. Tried everything I know, even this way with the file and folder names being exactly the same as the RCO being dumped as you explained but I was entering the file names manually instead of copying and pasting so I gave your way ago. Even tried putting the RCO in the RCO Mage main folder......."System cannot find specified path" no matter how i do it lol

7. 9,874
    pinky

have you tried running the app as administrator or in compatibility mode?

8. 1,619
    Cypher_CG89

Yep, both as admin and all compatible modes windows 10 has. TBH I hate Windows 10, would prefer XP pro or Vista Pro but the new PC came with 10 and can't be bothered to do anything about it, plus as its 4K the compatibly for the drivers and such and other games dev software I have (Such as Unreal Engine 4) would be pointless.

Answer to your earlier question. I am using RCO Mage GUI. got all versions of RCO mage and they all give the same error more or less. so am starting to think its this crappy Windows 10.

9. 9,874
    pinky

yeah, windows 10 has some major problems. I actually had to set either admin or compatibility mode to both quickplay and the emulator I was using or else I got errors. I don't recall this happening with windows 7. windows 10 is bloadware for the most part.

I can't remember if I've even used rcomage gui on windows 10, so you may be right about it being an os problem. I think most apps for the ps3 were written with windows 7 in mind, so it's not surprising.

10. 1,619
    Cypher_CG89

There are quite a few PS3 apps that don't like working on windows 10. even in comp mode. Just find it strange that PUAD GUI works correctly for the most part. only error is Core OS decryption. And this uses RCO Mage to extract the RCOs from the PUP and decrypt them. Its just really annoying to have to do it this way every time. I didn't mind when I was bulk modding the images and TXT XML's (some of [email protected]'s wording on some menu's is ridiculous, correct grammar and wording so they make sense please [email protected]!!! as some of them i still laugh at today) inside the RCOs (Like nearly all of them have been altered in some way by me) but when i just want to tweek one or edit a custom image inside one because it doesn't look quite right is infuriating.

Mind I have Windows 10 Home atm (its buggy as hell and full of crap you don't need like, 3 different versions of notepad?? i only need Notepad ++ thank you ) not pro so might use the Serial key I got from the Microsoft dev team and install Pro with the Dev environment in and see if that makes a difference (probably not lol). Thank you MS for the free £300 to spend on dev and OS software lol.

11. 3,695
    sandungas

The error message is literally "Cannot find the specified path" ?
    I think is a system message from windows (not an internal rcomage error message), but i dont know why you are having it

Btw, you can install a windows xp in a virtual machine, a light version (not pro) with SP3 should not take more than 2gb

12. 1,619
    Cypher_CG89

This is the error: pics speak louder than words lol
    Screen1.png

13. 9,874
    pinky

try another location? it could be the spaces in the path name.

14. 1,619
    Cypher_CG89

Xp on a virtual machine would have to wait till i get bigger mSATA SSD drive. This PC won't allow any type of OS to be installed on anything other than an SSD drive, weather it be for the PC itself or for virtual machines. Already looked into doing that because i hate this version of windows so much lol.

Tried loads of locations still does the same thing, spaces no spaces doesn't matter. Same error every time lol

15. 7,180
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    You can get this error when input file is real PUP, instead of rco.

Also app can't write to "program files" without admin permissions in w10.
    Edit: or even to any location on system drive excl whitelisted desktop/documents/etc.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  16. 1,619
    Cypher_CG89

Tried all that. wont dump to docs or anywhere. W10 won't let you run unsigned programs without admin permissions never mind let them write lol. its the worst windows yet (crappy smart screen defender). Used RCOs extracted from the PUP. RCOs extracted direct from the dev_flash. same error no matter where they are from, how they are labeled for extraction its most likely the OS as its buggy as hell. The only thing that works is PUAD GUI for the RCOs, which as a stated above is a bit backwards as it uses RCO Mage to extract and decrypt the RCOs in the PUP file.

17. 7,180
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    RCO mage from puad is not RCOmage GUI.

Really no idea why you have that error, i still think those are some permission issues. Rcomage seems to work fine on w10.
    Edit: maybe too long path?
    20181110_095439.jpg

18. 1,619
    Cypher_CG89

it has all permissions needed lol. all my unsigned apps have them or they wouldn't run lol. The only difference i can see is you have RCO Mage v1.1.0. I am using v1.1.1. I will go through the permissions again and double check.

19. 7,180
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    I wasn't aware that 1.1.1 exist. :) Maybe try first with 1.1.0 to eliminate possibility that is 1.1.1 issue.

20. 1,619
    Cypher_CG89

Slightly getting somewhere now except now I am getting an "XML was not written" error. permissions were fine and just to be sure I disabled the re enabled all permissions. The app has permission to write anywhere on the drive that its on. No unsigned app has permission to write on the main C:/ drive just D:/ and E:/ where all the apps are located.

EDIT: This is with v1.1.2. Got rid of v1.1.1 Can't find the older v1.1.0 anywhere.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
Tags: