PS3 RCOMAGE Mod 1.9 - Proper & Automated GIM to PNG conversion, Dump & Compile Files.

Discussion in 'Developer Tools' started by RandomDude, Mar 6, 2019.

1. 8,603
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Yes, these will all work as ps3dxt5 , although I think that is a little lossy so if -ps3rgba8888 was an option too that would be great. So have 2 options for what to do with icons not in database that are found in folder or something like that.

Only if you want to work on it more, I can and have added my own stuff to rcos before but it would be nice if it was easier, maybe would get more rco modder inspired if it was easier.

n00b and RandomDude like this.
  2. 388
    RandomDude

RandomDude Member

[Read this carefully:]
    No I cannot make it an public update as it would affect original rcos ( very rare case but can occur). For ex if some rco's gims weren't registered in the database correctly then they will automatically convert to -ps3dxt5 which could cause white textures.

This would only work for explore_plugin_full due to the fact that all this rco's gims are registered in database. SO it would scan for all non-rco gims (like your custom gims) & those GIMS would be converted with 1 setting only.

I mean like how do I implement 2 settings lmao?, come to think of it. CODE EX: ----> {If Options for png couldn't be detected then Convert with (setting).}
    How can it do ---{if options not detected the convert with (setting1 & setting2). }

fyi I'm pretty sure you already know this but just in case, *PNG > PNG cannot determine it's settings*.
    You can only determine the image settings with GIM > GIM conversion.
    So all your custom images can only be converted with 1 option & probably you cannot change that fact.

If you want this to reduce all your hassle then you can only tell one setting to me and I can make a standalone tool for this project of yours.
    (I'll upload it here itself for anyone who wants to test it too.)

DeViL303 likes this.
  3. 8,603
    DeViL303

I just mean that it could have a checkbox to use either -ps3rgba8888 or ps3dxt5 for all images not in database, but just ps3dxt5 is fine too.

RandomDude likes this.
  4. 8,603
    DeViL303

See if it had the option, then through manipulating files, i could get it to do 50% one way and 50% the other way for example.

but i understand that is hassle so ps3dxt5 is best overall.

n00b and RandomDude like this.
  5. 388
    RandomDude

RandomDude Member

Not sure I quite get you but just read the statement again saying "Checkbox for either dxt5 or rgba8888"

So if I understood it correctly you want an option for both dxt5 or rgba8888(for custom gims btw) for 2 complete separate rco's right?

EX:

RCO 1 = Original Gims along with Custom GIMS But 'all' custom gims require dxt5
    RCO 2 = ORIGINAL GIMS along with custom gims but 'all' custom gims require rgba8888

6. 8,603
    DeViL303

Yes 2 separate rcos basically.

Sorry I'm out on session now for the night. On phone, Will get back to you when I recover :)

RandomDude likes this.
  7. 7,525
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

240 new icons, thats a few of them :D
    And are you telling the XMB displays them fine in -ps3rgba8888 and -ps3dxt5 ?... so you can choose which GIM settings to use. That doesnt uses to happen btw... usually the XMB is restrictive with GIM settings

But in this case that XMB gives you some freedom in which GIM settings to use... i suggest to make some tests with -ps3rgba4444 and -ps3dxt3
    The reason why i mention this is because i guess all your icons for main XMB are in whitescale (like the officials)... so the amount of different colors stored inside the image is very small (are just white tones), and the levels of alpha needed are very small too (with a few should be enought)

Im going to explain something im sure some of you already noticed it, but in general, this is something you should know
    The GIM format allows all this settings, lets say... half of them was supported by the PSP... and the other half was implemented specifically for the PS3... but most of them are not used in official firmware (as far we found but maybe there are some old firmwares using them and we dont know)
    -ps3rgba5650
    -ps3rgba5551
    -ps3rgba4444
    -ps3rgba8888
    -ps3index4
    -ps3index8
    -ps3index16
    -ps3index32
    -ps3dxt1
    -ps3dxt3
    -ps3dxt5
    -ps3dxt1ext
    -ps3dxt3ext
    -ps3dxt5ext

The numbers that appears at right of the name (like the 8888 of -ps3rgba8888) indicates the amount of "bits per pixel", and are ordered "by channel"
    So in -ps3rgba8888 is doing Red=8 bits, Green=8 bits, Blue=8 bits, Alpha=8 bits.... for a total of 32 bits per pixel
    This is what the old windows called "true colors" and is lossless (if you convert a PNG to GIM and then you convert the same GIM to PNG... the PNG is identical to the original)

All the others rgba based options (-ps3rgba4444, -ps3rgba5551, -ps3rgba5650) uses 16 bits per pixel... so the size in bytes is reduced to half

*btw... keep in mind all the GIM files (or better said, most) are compressed in ZLIB individually before are "packed" into the RCO

In your case im suggesting to try with -ps3rgba4444 because you really need the alpha (the last 4 most at the right), but for the images we was messing around the other day for impose_plugin.rco (taken from firmware 0.90) we dont need the alpha... so we could use -ps3rgba5650 (the 0 most at the right indicates it doesnt supports alpha)

The indexed formats (-ps3index4, -ps3index8, -ps3index16, -ps3index32) uses a color palette to optimize the bytes size of the image... i guess this ones are going to be very small, also i guess the official images made with -rgba8888 can be replaced by indexed formats

All the DXT based formats are lossy... but the quality loss is not much notable in some cases (depends of the kind of image) -ps3dxt5 is "the king" of the DXT familly, but -ps3dxt3 is not bad... and dxt1 is only used if the image doesnt uses alpha

And then are the DXT "extended edge" formats (-ps3dxt1ext, -ps3dxt3ext, -ps3dxt5ext). I know the official sony codename is "extended edge" but i dont know what it does... all i can say is it doesnt seems to follow any standard... is one of that sony inventions

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    n00b, RandomDude and DeViL303 like this.
  8. 388
    RandomDude

RandomDude Member

Yeah I'll be working on that, I love when sandungas just comes out of nowhere and explains the whole theory.

@sandungas what he actually meant is he's adding 240 MORE gims to original rco.

EX: explore_plugin_full.rco + 240 more gims.

He wants the explore_plugin_full.rco custom (240) gims to be -ps3dxt5 based, whereas another rco + custom gims to be -ps3rgba8888 based.

So conversion is like this ---> Convert all .png's to gim with their database settings & if settings not found then convert with ps3dxt5/ps3rgba8888.

He didn't mean do both together lol.

Also auto conversion would be much more effective for his case but how tf did he manage to make 240 icons lol, I'd quit making 3 or 4.

Also @DeViL303 do you want PNG > GIM conversion too? I could create a dynamic database for that...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    n00b, sandungas and DeViL303 like this.
  9. 8,603
    DeViL303

Im considering 1massive xml and 1rco for my whole app . More tests required..
    Dynamic database sounds good, More features the better, just don't want to create extra work unless its useful to other. I don't want over complicate things for normal users so do whatever is best overall. Tbh I'm used to working with dodgy rcomage gui so any improvement is great.

RandomDude likes this.
  10. 388
    RandomDude

RandomDude Member

I just told you, It won't be a normal Update/Release, it will be in a dev tab somewhere in this thread.
    Normal users Won't be creating and deleting gims as well as they would sometimes use untested rco's which could cause conflicts between majority of the rcomage components.

n00b and DeViL303 like this.
  11. 388
    RandomDude

RandomDude Member

Here you go @DeViL303 : https://mega.nz/#!ks4CWYaJ!vRiT8iwWc-_NkaZ4X97BV_6_kIzJv9w5DZBpvg1i1jo

Haven't had much time to test it, But it does work.
    Also if you have a space on your custom "gims" like -> Playstation 3.png it won't work. Change it to Playstation_3.png, I could fix that in a later update.

DONT Replace my 1.8 tool with this tool. They work on different principle. Use the advanced util tool only when you have multiple "custom" gim files you want to convert them with a specific setting.(Either DXT5/Rgba8888)

Updates for this tool will be on thread itself.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    DeViL303 likes this.
  12. 7,525
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

I know, when i wrote that i was thinking in rebuilding the official GIMs inside explore_plugin.rco with the official GIM settings + the 240 custom GIMs that could use any GIM settings
    He mentioned that the 240 custom added GIMs seems to work in -ps3rgba8888 and -ps3dxt5 but are a lot... so this is why i suggested to use -ps3dxt3 or -ps3rgba4444 (this should reduce bytes size of the 240 custom added GIMs to half)

This is better though :)

Probably you imagined it yourself... but one of the things you can do to speed up the testing is to add several versions of the same icon with different filenames and different GIM settings inside the RCO
    The RCO could contain many GIM files for experiments, frankensteins and whatever you want... it doesnt matters if the GIM is "broken" because the XMB is going to complain only if you try to load it
    You are going to load the GIM from the explore_category_whatever.xml (the XMBML files)... so you just need to modify that XMBML file to choose which one of your GIM files (experimental inside the RCO) you want to load

n00b, DeViL303 and RandomDude like this.
  13. 388
    RandomDude

RandomDude Member

Remade the whole tool from scratch within a couple of hours. Old tool was quite inefficient and the code was messy.

Also @sandungas is the --pack-hdr zlib option enough for compiling the xmls or something more may be required?
    The file size of the rco's can get quite big that's why..

DeViL303 likes this.
  14. 3,538
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Home Page:
    Another update?... don't start banging these out 3 to 4 updates a day or week again like you did last time lol, everytime I looked there was another version. Christ I think I have EVERY version of this and GSF on my PC somewhere you fired them out that quickly....

Now its v1.9... whens v2.0?...... in a few hours? :-p:D

EDIT: Wait..... yes I do.... there all in one folder in zip files, don't even think I have used all of them they were updated that fast.....

RandomDude likes this.
  15. 388
    RandomDude

RandomDude Member

No lmao, I think I find flaws pretty quickly xD.

You don't need 1.9 Unless you won't more performance. The 1.8 code was almost 1000 lines long and it consisted of 2 tools GSFRCOMAGE and GPCT.

DeViL303 likes this.
  16. 8,603
    DeViL303

I really like it. Nice one. Thanks.

Small thing that would be handy, is if it could auto select the folder the rco is in for dumping to, that would be great, or even auto create a folder next to the rco with same name as the rco or something.

RandomDude likes this.
  17. 388
    RandomDude

RandomDude Member

Edit: Give me 2 Minutes lol.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    DeViL303 likes this.
  18. 8,603
    DeViL303

this is how PUAD does it, not a bad way.

upload_2019-6-27_21-5-46.png

Yeah, CFW toolbox and HEN toolbox are fairly big, about 6MB of xml in CFW toolbox. :)

I have not got around to putting icons into rcos yet, On that subject, it would be really great if you could add other options to the special version you did for me. so if non official icons found, it has more options, I think i gave you wrong ones last time. I need it to be able to do that normal one that is used in explore full rco, and also if it could add the names to the main xml automatically so its all in one. Only if you have spare time that is.

RandomDude likes this.
  19. 388
    RandomDude

RandomDude Member

Hmm what do you mean by wrong ones?, if you could specify what settings you need I'll provide. Also If you scroll up you can see you've asked for DXT 5 and rgba8888 or I've just misunderstood.

here's the update btw: https://mega.nz/#!J953nISA!cxOyZiJnRvmiTHbcV0C1AbOWRrP3PTL2-NlGImzGOzA

DeViL303 likes this.
  20. 8,603
    DeViL303

It is dxt5 but not sure if there are a few, this is the psp one that worked for me before, its specifically these settings that @sandungas gave me that worked for me for explore plugin full rco

Code:
    gimconv.exe myimage.png -o myimage.gim --format_style psp --format_endian big --image_format dxt5

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/adding-rco-image-files.2867/#post-39740

RandomDude likes this.