NOTICE [READ THREAD RULES] COVID-19 General Information

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fin9ersMcGee, Mar 16, 2020.

1. 3,507
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

That was precisely my point... the US government is being negligent blaming China while their citizens are ignorant of what serious is this situation in their country... 2 days ago USA was the 5th in active cases, today they are the 2nd and in about 9 days they easily can surpass Italy or China.

It's true that China needs a change. But it may take years or decades to happen. Meanwhile USA is losing precious time reacting slowly.
    People should stay at home for at least 2 weeks. Period. Drastic measures should be taken now or the situation will get worse.
    It's hard to assimilate because it costs a fortune to the economy, but that is what needs to happen to help to break the chain of contagion in 2 months or more.

Major_Pothead92 and Zar like this.
  2. 836
    Zar

Zar Developer

The spanish flu was named like that for 2 reasons:
    1st the king of Spain was infected so it was in front page of every newspaper
    Spain was not involved in the 1st global war, even if France, Germany and others were highly infected before spain, they didn't talk about it, to maintain morale during the war. Only Spain were free to talk about it but they didn't until the king died from it. Some research show it appears few years before the spike in 1918. It probably infected lot of soldiers. It was something commonly known. It was convenient for the "fighters" to name it with the name of Spain, the neutral country. I think it wasn't against Spain, but more a way to 'hide' which side had more sick soldiers. (Also, I heard it might be something very close to the recently H1N1... i'm not sure...).

aldostools and DeViL303 like this.
  3. 597
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Why 2009 Swine flu was not called American virus as it emerged from America, killed nearly 12,000 Americans and half a million people globally?

But i don't believe in this useless name games. Call it China virus or Wuhan Virus if you want. Does naming the virus gonna change how bad its impact is?

@ElGris

People who blame China for their food culture don't know some basic realities.

These wet markets, selling of wild animals and dirty sanitation unhygienic is not unique to China. Its a problem in many Asian countries as well as African countries. You can check documentaries of wet markets of Indonesia, Thailand etc on youtube. Bats are delicacies in many Asian countries.

Most credible theory about origin of HIV is that it came from monkey meat somewhere in Africa. Similarly EBOLA came from Africa. Bats are also delicacies in many African countries.

So we need to have a broader look and sure we need to ban all this unsanitary and dangerous meat markets but not just in China, should also be done in entire Asia as well as Africa.

4. 1,236
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    Good to hear your mum is doing well.
    Your mum should fall under the most at risk group and government will provide support (free food deliveries, etc)
    You can find some financial support info (for your mum and you, if you are living/caring for her) on the gov website HERE

5. 8,605
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Italy and Spain are heading for a death rate over 10% very quickly at this rate.

Something I have not seen mentioned here which is important when looking at the numbers. The death rate numbers have an average of a 10 day lag compared to the case rate. So its more accurate to compare the amount of deaths now with the amount of cases 10 days ago.

For example when they add 5249 cases today in Italy, those artificially lower the death rate as the deaths from those are not counted yet as they are newly diagnosed cases, this means the rate is going to be higher than it looks now.

And yes I know that some people are not showing symptoms and that lowers the rate but this 10 day lag on the death rate means that lowering effect will not be as big as we thought.

Basically even if we could somehow stop the case rate from climbing any more from today, the deaths would still keep climbing for 1-8 weeks increasing that CFR %,

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  6. 1,236
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    As some may have heard from your local media outlets, the UK has gone into lock down.
    All non essential shops closed.
    Must stay at home.
    Can leave to go to work though if you cant work from home (??? So... stay at home, but go to work??)

My company called me up and said they are closing the factory for 3 weeks. With full pay for the first 2 weeks with 3rd week to be arranged at a later date.

aldostools likes this.
  7. 597
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Full country lockdown here in India for 3 weeks. Only problem is Govt hasn't prepared for many things. Biggest problem is getting food.

8. 1,491
    psykosis

psykosis Developer Developer

Last week, Florida only had issues keeping the essentials on the shelves. Oddly, produce was FULLY stocked the entire time.

9. 4
    the7thchild

the7thchild Forum Noob

Situation in Hong Kong is getting worse. Now the airport is closed :(

10. 8,605
    DeViL303

Anyone here still thinking the flu is worse?

The people who are denying this is serious are the enemy of everyone right now IMO, they are the ones that are not taking precautions and more likely to spread it. The mentality of these people is like flat earthers..

I had someone trying to tell me TB was worse the other day... 340 deaths in Italy from TB over the last 10 years...more than twice that every day from COVID19..

Twitter is so full of idiots. A large % still think this whole thing is about the US election.. They must think the rest of the world cares about their internal political shit. :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    aldostools likes this.
  11. 8,605
    DeViL303

Something important that I have not seen talked about much. Getting the virus is not a binary situation of having it or not having it, How bad a case of this you get is heavily reliant on how much of an initial dose of the virus you get. If you was to get just one "spore" of the virus your body would most likely be able to fight it off in most cases and maybe even get you some immunity. It's only when you get a bigger dose of maybe tens, hundreds, or thousands of the "spores" that its overwhelming on the body.

So this means:
    • Even if you do not have the correct mask, it is still worth wearing something like a scarf
    • Even if you do not have the proper hand cleaner or you only have water its still worth washing your hands with it.
    • Even if you are living with someone who has it and expect you will get it you should still take precautions.
    • etc
    • etc

I know "spore" is the wrong word but if i say "if you only get one virus" it does not make much sense. :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  12. 8,605
    DeViL303

Now that USA is no.1 for amount of cases, should we call it the "USA virus" or would that be racist too...all gone very quiet yeah? :)

Let's see how the media and everyone changes stance now and says "oh but we should name it after the country with the most cases" :D

It's a great example of survival of the fittest in action. It's happened many times before and it will happen many times again, If you're alive today it's because your smart ancestors didn't believe the hype and were prepared. ;)

13. 13,052
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

my other doctor's appointment was cancelled. I have yet another appointment on April 6th, but I don't know if that will get cancelled as well. I'm not too worried about corona, but I'm getting a bit antsy being indoors all the time. I might try walking around the nearby park. my city is on lockdown, but we're allowed to do that as long as that's all you do in the park.

14. 8,605
    DeViL303

Serious question, Is there anyone still thinking the flu is worse and this is all just media hype?

15. 1,236
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    Your always going to get different ends of the scale with any discussion such as this.
    Especially as its something completely new that we haven't seen before, people are gonna make judgement calls. It's just human nature at the end of the day.
    You could show data to someone, cold hard fact, and they still stick with their own opinions.

Been waiting on a call to arrange some counselling. Got that call yesterday after waiting a week. I'm pretty impressed to be honest considering it's usually a 4+ week wait for such things.

Nothing much else going on in UK. Its pretty quiet. People starting to follow the advice more now. Queues for stores are civilised, 6 foot space between people. Only X amount of people in store at any one time.

Oh, and our Prime Minister, Boris, has tested positive. After shaking hands with everyone a few weeks back.

16. 3,507
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

That is what I tried to say last week :-p

BTW the picture is from 2019 ;)

DeViL303 likes this.
  17. 8,605
    DeViL303

I was being sarcastic, it doesn't change anything IMO. People will remember where it started and why it started, who eventually ends up with most cases or most deaths is not important when it comes to identifying it. Even if its not in the name, it will be in the byline so what's the difference?

For me it's not much different to write "The Chinese Coronavirus" or "The Coronavirus that started in Wuhan" or "COVID-19 that started in China" or "The Wuhan Flu". The name should not even be an issue, its not important so people will call it what they want regardless of what the "official name" is changed to.

Maybe it will end up being called the USA flu, but I doubt it.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    aldostools likes this.
  18. 9,638
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Trojan should rise up to the occasion in this time of need and supply protection for the world supply of banana's

In all seriousness no one is going to want to shuffle through no produce..

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  19. 1,491
    psykosis

psykosis Developer Developer

Just remember, before this pandemic, was the obesity epidemic.... our biggest problem was having pork chops and cheesecake in the same sitting...

20. 597
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

In India. This is happening in all major cities like Delhi.

After lockdown, all daily wage workers and poor people lost their jobs and savings. Now they are going back to their home villages. Social distancing?

EUNQEH3VAAQlrb0.jpeg EUNCwvTU4AUnFWx.jpeg