PS3 Rebug 4.81.2 And Blu Ray Remarry

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by williams1978, Jul 19, 2017.

1. 30
    williams1978

williams1978 Forum Noob

wow a bunch of new replies thank you all. So I just installed Aldo's mod of CFWsettings before I started the process. After that their wasn't really any problems. I changed out the drives then eenabled FSM followed the steps and it said it succeded. So when I tried the game I got a couple errors that littlebalup referred to and the disc won't eject now. I was able to copy the game and get it to load as a backup in MM. So now just have to get it to eject, lol.
    If I understand the problem correctly, now you should install a fw with BD firmware enabled (unpatched) to get the drive to work properly.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2017
  2. 446
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

Yes. Check if you have QA flag enabled and install 3.55 OFW and the update to latest rebug.

No0bZiLLa likes this.
  3. 7,837
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

Actually I think installing the latest Rebug directly might be sufficient...
    But 3.55 is always an option I suppose...

Btw remember to exit FSM before you install a fw....

bitsbubba and kozarovv like this.
  4. 446
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

For these things I always recommend 3.55 since it's official firmware and avoids potential bugs. Unrelated bug, i know, but you cannot install rebug over rebug from recovery menu. You never know what else could go wrong.

5. 7,837
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

But there's no need for recovery menu in this configuration..
    In any case, if ever something did go wrong, which is unlikely, the 3.55 option remains... It changes nothing imo...
    Needless to say QA must always be enabled...

6. 446
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

I know you don't need recovery for this specific task, I also said it was an unrelated bug. But it is still a bug, and no bugs are present in official firmware, hence me recommending ofw for this specific task. Rebug is probably just fine, but just to be sure...

7. 7,837
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

Fundamentally speaking you are probably right & learning caution can be a good thing especially for noobs. Moreover I agree there is nothing wrong in getting familiar with the basics of a CFW & the fallback to 3.55..
    Having said that, the recovery bug is not really a problem because another 4.81 CFW like Ferrox or Habib could be used to regain XMB access in the worst case scenarios. In DEX mode it is another story & QA is better enabled at all times to allow for D-REX 4.46 installation (or whatever earlier version) in case of trouble...
    But if we put this issue aside, I am not aware of any other bug in Rebug 4.81.2 that could be a problem...

8. 7,060
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    I don't get how you @williams1978 was able to install cfw settings without paired BD.

9. 7,837
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

Well he actually never said that the old drive was 100% dead!
    I don't see any info in this thread about him using a noBD fw or describing the state of the former drive... we don't know if it's an integrated logic board mobo or not either....
    I think everybody, including myself, assumed one thing or another, maybe wrongly so...

No0bZiLLa and kozarovv like this.
  10. 110
    arcadekidflo

arcadekidflo Member

Anyone has the modified Rebug 4.81 PUP you are speaking about ? So , is it easier now to remarry on 4.xx on the old 3.55 way ?

11. 7,837
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

It's the same, only you don't need to install 3.55 & go back to 4.8x.
    You can trigger fsm, remarry BD then trigger out of fsm, all from Rebug 4.81.2 XMB.
    But if you prefer to go back to 3.55 to do it you can too. It makes no difference really...

I guess what you are looking for is a Rebug 4.81.2 REX patched for noBD?
    https://mega.nz/#!7NxxiBrY!v62_SPWSc14_3p7877Upj6wBpbtQufABrj4QcNlePAg

citra mulia likes this.
  12. 110
    arcadekidflo

arcadekidflo Member

13. 7,837
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

You could install Puadgui on pc (from Resources section) to extract the PUP files from the REX cfw PUP, use only the /dev_flash extraction option, other options not needed.
    Go to the extraction folder, make the 3 changes to the xml files as explained in the post you quoted.
    Now recompress the PUP file.
    Voilà. Q

14. 1
    DieNoMight

DieNoMight Forum Noob

I want to start off by saying thank-you to everyone here who has contributed to helping with the Remarry process. While my final solution to fix my PS3 did not come from this forum, this forum was the most helpful, puting me in the right direction to remarry a new logic board to my PS3 mainboard. I wanted to share the process I used so that others don't have to waste a dozen plus hours like I did to remarry their logic board.

Quick Background
    Note: If you don't care for background, skip to The Solution that worked for me below.

My PS3 is fully functioning except that the Logic Board died a couple of months ago while on 4.81 firmware. I figured I was screwed with the remarry process until the recent 4.82 hack was released. I had been saved and could remarry my blu ray drive! What I didn't realize was that while the remarry process had been improved since 3.50 days without the need of a jig, very little documentation existed for users to remarry a new logic board, with most proposed solutions seemingly only working for someone with a functioning logic board.

The solutions proposed in this forum got me very close to the remarry function with one major caveat: I could not run Rebug Toolbox from 4.81.2 to dump my EID_Root_key. It seemed as simple as getting a NOBD version of 4.81.2 and modifying the files to start with cfw settings enabled. However, I could not find a working NOBD version of 4.81.2 and although I saw others claim you could make one, it appeared that everyone's attempt to create a NOBD version of Rebug resulted in apps still loading to a black screen. I even tried flashing to other NOBD firmwares to launch Rebug Toolbox with success, only to find that the dump EID_Root_Key was removed as it was a function locked to the Rebug Firmware.

I could write a book on the number of things I tried and that failed to work, but to summarize what I found: If you want to remarry a PS4 with a non-married logic board using the Rebug Toolbox, you need a BDEMU version of the firmware. The NOBD versions of Rebug assume that your Blu Ray drive is broken but your logic board is still working, which still results in a black screen when running an App. The BDEMU version will emulate your logic board to allow you to run apps (not Blu rays though, we will fix that below).

The Solution that worked for me:
    The following assumes that you are trying to remarry a logic board to your PS3 and that you are currently on a 4.82 PS3 CFW. The process will only work if you are using a working (non-married) logic board. If the process fails, you may have a broken logic board and/or Blu ray drive. If you are on a lower PS3 custom firmware, you may be able to simply update to the Rebug BDEMU version listed below and follow from there.

Getting to Rebug 4.80.1 BDEMU
    Note: This path worked for me, but there may be easier paths available. Pick what works best for you. As always, modifying your system always comes with a risk and you accept all responsibility if you mess your system up. I am just trying to share what I learned with others to hopefully help save someone some headaches. I recommend your double check all of my steps with research before moving forward if you are uncertain about anything.

1. Ensure that you QAToggle to enabled.
    Note: Be sure that the minimum firmware version for your console is at least 3.55 or below before continuing any further.

2. Downgrade to 3.55 using Rogero Downgrader first, followed by updating to Rogero CEX 3.55 CFW V3.7. Downloadable files and instructions here: www. consoleinfo.be/p/ps3-how.html (remove space after www.)

3. Once on the Rogero CFW, update to Rebug 4.80.1 REX BDEMU.
    /#!KFoR1QjS!abNThzVuj3XNfj_FSzaaWxpFpR6v6Cyq-vm5B86WA4Q (Add mega.nz to front of link)

4. Now that you are on Rebug 4.80.1, you are ready to remarry your logic board.

Remarrying your logic board:

1. In Rebug 4.80.1 BDEMU, install Rebug Toolbox from the game tab and launch Rebug Toolbox.

2. In the first column of Rebug Toolbox, enable CFW settings.

3. In the last column of Rebug Toolbox, choose the option to dump your EID_Root_Key. The screen should go to black and your system will restart.

4. In order to get your EID root key from your hard drive, you can use Multiman. Newest version can be downloaded at the brewology website.

5. Install Multiman and launch the app. Once in multiman, press select + start to get to the desktop view, and double press x on the top left icon on the screen to bring up the file explorer. Navigate to /dev_hdd0/game/RBGTLBOX2/USRDIR and copy the EID_Root_Key file. Navigate to your USB drive and paste the copied file to the root of your drive. Exit Multiman.

6. Go to the CFW settings under the Network Tab and toggle Factory Service Mode.
    Warning: DO NOT update your firmware while in Factory Service Mode or your PS3 will be bricked.

7. Once factory service mode has launched, go back to the CFW settings and select the Remarry Blu Ray Drive option. You will likely be given messages that the process has failed. Pound that button a couple of more times for good measure. Even with the error, if your logic board is good, the remarry process was likely still a success. My thought is that the error messages shows due to being on a BDEMU version of Rebug. I received the notification that the process failed, but my logic board is now married and I am playing disk games as we speak, so take the error with a grain of salt.

8. Exit factory service mode by toggling out of it from the CFW settings menu.
    Warning: DO NOT update your firmware while in Factory Service Mode or your PS3 will be bricked.

9. Your Blu Ray drive will still not work at this point because you are on a BDEMU version of firmware. Install your preferred custom firmware from this point (I recommended 4.81.2 Rebug). If the remarry process was a success, you should be able to put a Blu Ray in and launch the game!
    Note: If you can launch apps at this point but not disk games, your drive itself is likely bad but the logic board was successfully remarried. If you still are getting a black screen, the process did not work and/or your logic board is bad.
    Note #2: Your drive may not be able to load movies at this point. There is an option in multiman to fix this, but I have not attempted to run the process at this time, as I mostly use the system for gaming.

Hopefully the above is helpful to someone. Good luck in the process. If you get stuck anywhere you can message me and I will try my best to help if I am able to.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Jay99445 and citra mulia like this.
  15. 3,943
    bitsbubba

bitsbubba Super Moderator / Developer Super Moderator Developer

Homicidal Super Moderator
    Home Page:
    Recently released Rebug 4.82.1 LITE NoBD has CFW Tools enabled by default (upon install)

16. 1
    Shanti

Shanti Forum Noob

Hi,
    I just registered to say first thank you all for the information you shared here, and second to ask if it's possible to upgrade to
    Rebug 4.82.1 LITE NoBD from another cfw: I'm currently stuck with MLT 4.50 (Nobd) because it was the only one I could get to work with my broken bd/logic board. I never figured out what wasn't working (if the bd or the logic board), so now I'd like to give a try with another bd reader got from a broken ps3 and the remarrying process described in this thread

17. 2
    Jay99445

Jay99445 Forum Noob

Wow thank you so much your guide worked perfectly for me, I picked up 4 non working ps3 fat ps3's from ebay for 30, One only had a broken BD and it's a 60gb backwards compatible model cech c03 it has the older single lens bluray, I swapped it with a newer working bluray drive with dual lens design ,Used your guide to remarry the drive and now it's working perfectly, What a bargain!, I actually managed to fix 2 of the ps3's already :)

18. 62
    PSXFan

PSXFan Member

not sure if it's related to this topic, but i will post it here anyway...
    i don't know what happened, but recently my PS3 SLIM with Rebug 4.82 stopped playing bluray movies...
    (not sure if it has anything to do with being online with the PS3, downloading and installing demo games..)
    game discs work fine, but it does not play any movies...
    I get a nagbox saying "The playback of bluray movies has been disabled on this system."
    As far as I am concerned, I have not been playing around with any settings related to the drive whatsoever..
    I have re-installed CFW multiple times and it still keeps on saying that...
    Also,all attempts from the recovery menu to update (reinstall) the firmware fail, with a checksum error...
    Even the official firmware won't install...
    I recall reading somewhere, it suggested to remove the PS3 HDD completely,and format it on a PC,and then install it
    back on the PS3+update firmware..
    I'm gonna try that now, since the drive is already "wiped" on PS3 multiple times..
    PS. Does PS3 leave some hidden marks on the HDD even if you "wipe" it ?

I wonder if my PS3 is somehow bricked, any ideas?

19. 446
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

If you are on DEX you cantc play bd movies. You need to be on CEX

20. 62
    PSXFan

PSXFan Member

I wasn't on DEX ...
    I formatted the drive on windows,and now PS3 is reinstalling the official 4.82 ..
    I shall see if the problem continues still, after this..
    earlier,it refused to re-install any firmware, not even official.. (kept giving the error code about corrupt firmware file..)
    now it started to install it on first try, from the very same usb stick it earlier refused to install it from. ;P

if everything works, i'm happy, eventho it's gonna be a big job to re-install everything again
    on the 750GB HDD which i had there... :(
    This time i will make a raw backup copy of the full HDD, once i have everything set up and running smoothly again. :P