PS3 Rebug CFW change RED icons color

Discussion in 'XMB Modifications' started by vr6cer, Oct 15, 2018.

1. 72
    vr6cer

vr6cer Member

Hi All,

I really love and enjoy the Rebug Team latest 4.82 Lite CFW for general purposes but I would like to change the red Rebug colored icons like the PSN Icon and the other gray icon like under the Photos menu tab for the photo album application. How is this possible? I searched the internet and the forum and I found that some .rco files are responsible for this. Since, I am making my console retro-ps3, so old coldboot with the Ps3 gameboot chimney sound and animation, I would prefer the old Psn icon and colors back on my system. How is that possible?

Thank you for all of your help.

2. 5,593
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Home Page:
    Its a bit tricky. the red icons are spread out across about 6 rcos, maybe more. you would need to extract those rcos, then extract the same rcos from OFW, then replace the GIM files in the rebug rcos and repack them.

Im not sure which rcos or which icons they are exactly, maybe someone else knows specifically.

Coldheart2236, T.A.U and vr6cer like this.
  3. 72
    vr6cer

vr6cer Member

sandungas likes this.
  4. 5,593
    DeViL303

Home Page:
    Yes. now you have the list you can just replace them. When extracting the rcos, don't set it to convert the icons to png, just leave them as gims, and replace those. its easier.

T.A.U and vr6cer like this.
  5. 72
    vr6cer

vr6cer Member

Hm so I need to extract the rco files as well not just replacing them 1:1? I need to replace the images inside?

6. 5,593
    DeViL303

Home Page:
    Yes, as the rcos have different text labels included too, and you need to keep them for rebug XMB items, so you cant just replace the entire rco. you need to replace the gim files individually.

7. 72
    vr6cer

vr6cer Member

This is another noob question, but where can I find the rco files in the PUP firmware file? I checked with PUP view under vhs folder and modules folder, but no luck finding these files.

8. 5,593
    DeViL303

Home Page:
    In the vsh/resources folder.

Here is a handy little tool for extracting the dev_flash from any PUP. http://www.psx-place.com/resources/pupx-dev_flash.650/

T.A.U likes this.
  9. 4,027
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

For the icon named tex_psn_big.gim (inside explore_plugin_full.rco) you are not going to find a original replacement in official firmware because is a custom addition, so you need to use one of the other originals

But to do it in a safe way first you need to find the GIM settings used by that rebug GIM, long story short... it can be -ps3rgba888 (most probably) or -ps3dxt5
    Take a read at the small tutorial marked in red in this thread named "how to identify GIM settings"
    http://www.psx-place.com/threads/research-rcomage-psdevwiki-mod.17958/

And when you find which settings are needed to create that GIM you can extract RCO contents as PNG, then take one of the originals PSN blue icons and convert it to GIM with the same settings used by the icon tex_psn_big.gim from rebug

---------------------
    Inside explore_plugin_full.rco there is another icon named tex_psn.gim that is the same image if i remember correctly
    Maybe you can just copy it and rename it... but this is a bit lottery, maybe works, maybe not
    So is better to do that GIM setings identification process i mentioned to avoid problems

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  10. 4,027
    sandungas

Btw, the only RCO you need to rebuild is explore_plugin_full.rco
    But for the others in the list in wiki you can simply replace rebug RCO by official RCO, this are the easy ones:
    explore_category_game.rco
    explore_category_psn.rco
    explore_category_video.rco
    npsignin_plugin.rco
    wboard_plugin.rco
    xmb_ingame.rco
    xmb_plugin_normal.rco

Edit:
    The RCO files needs to be extracted from the same firmware version where you are going to use them... so for rebug 4.82 you need to extract them from official 4.82
    And if at some point rebug releases 4.83 you need to repeat the same with 4.83
    Dont try to use RCO files from different firmware versions because sometimes are incompatibles

T.A.U, vr6cer and DeViL303 like this.
  11. 72
    vr6cer

vr6cer Member

@sandungas thank you for the detailed guide. I tried different firmware version, just copy pasting things, they worked for my surprise, like the old PSN icon. The only things which got wrong were the what's new and ps store. They simply froze my console when I wanted to open them. Anyway I bypassed the GIM settings search and simply unpacked first the PUP files with PUADGUI, then I used the simple rco mage gui to unpack the RCO files without any conversion and just simply replaced the things recommended in the wiki, then repacked the RCO with rco mage gui. Finally I copied the modified RCO's to my Ps3, and everything immediately changed and worked except the things that I mentioned before.

12. 4,027
    sandungas

So my advise about RCO incompatibilities between firmware versions was a wasted time ?, sigh...
    The explain of why happens this incompatibility problems is long, im not going to explain it now here, but believe me, im sure about it

You need to repeat it with a different firmware, because you are going to use them in rebug 4.82 you need to download official firmware 4.82 CEX (MD5:152D950C365EDE4130C53CEB18DCD43B)
    Extract the contents with this http://www.psx-place.com/resources/pupx-dev_flash.650/
    Then overwrite the RCO files i mentioned

Then with explore_plugin_full.rco is needed to rebuild it in the way you did it
    1) Extract the GIM files from the official RCO
    2) Extract everything from rebug explore_plugin_full.rco without image conversions
    3) Replace the rebug GIM files by officials
    4) *special procedure with tex_psn_big.gim (explained below)
    5) Compile RCO

*tex_psn_big.gim doesnt exists in official firmware, i guess you just copypasted tex_psn.gim and renamed it to tex_psn_big.gim, by doing this your chances of success was 50%/50% pure lottery, but if it worked then is ok. To be sure that icon is loading fine you can enter inside "rebug package manager", because this is the only place where is used that icon, in one of the folders of "rebug package manager"

Edit:
    A nice way to find where to download the firmwares is first, go to wiki and copy the MD5 of the firmware you want to find: http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/System_Firmware
    Then use google and search for that MD5 and you will find webs hosting them like this one: https://darthsternie.bplaced.net/ps3.html

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Bobby_Downgrades, T.A.U and vr6cer like this.
  13. 590
    Bloodmoons366466

Bloodmoons366466 Member

Im pretty sure the psn logo ball is usually xmb_plugin_normal.rco,but it can also be used for other things.

RandomDude likes this.
  14. 72
    vr6cer

vr6cer Member

It wasn't a waste of time! All your words are pure knowledge, and I appreciate your help. I am going to try this method again which you mentioned to see how it is going to behave after that.

15. 4,027
    sandungas

Is repeated 4 or 5 times inside different RCO files, in rebug all them are replaced by red ones
    It can be seen in this list http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Talk:Rebug#Restoring_rebug_custom_icons_and_images_to_default
    Are the ones i named "candy" PSN icons, lol

It will work perfect this time ;)
    But remember to check what i mentioned before doing it
    You are not telling what you did with it, but it can be handy if you explain it incase other people wants to do the same, this way they knows how to do it right at the first try

16. 72
    vr6cer

vr6cer Member

@sandungas Unfortunately the date and time is missing now from the main screen from the top right bar after I implemented the changes what you suggested. Also the photo gallery application disappeared o_O Strange things :) Other than that, everything seems fine.

17. 4,027
    sandungas

Can you explain what you did exactly step by step ?

18. 10,035
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I've heard of this error before. the disappearing of the clock can be due to using two different firmwares. that's the only time I've heard of that happening. though, I imagine a slightly corrupted rco might also cause that. I'm not sure about the photo error.

19. 4,027
    sandungas

One of the most important reasons why RCO files are dependant of firmware version is because they loads the values for "position" and "size" of ALL "objects" displayed on XMB externally from this files: http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/XMB_Layouts

Take a look at that files, open them with a text editor, every line is a value that indicates either a "size" or a "position", ad the RCO has "pointers" that tells "load line xxx" (a number from the XML layouts)
    If the XML layout changed (because they added a new value inside it), then all the other values that appeared inmediatly after are displaced one position
    So when the RCO tryes to "load line xxx" it loads a different value
    It can happen with everything, every small detail displayed on XMB is using "size" and "position" in a predefined grid or coordinates with 0,0,0 in the center

Note in that page the changelog of the XML layout files... the last version is compatible since 4.70-4.82 and contains 4595 lines
    So if you use an RCO older than 4.70 in 4.82 is going to load wrong values from the XML layouts (and the item could be out of screen... like what he is telling about the clock)

There are other reasons why RCO are incompatibles in between versions that are more obvious, but this one im mentioning is very important because 99% of the RCO files loads values from the XMB layouts

DeViL303 and T.A.U like this.
  20. 279
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) Chillin like a Krillin
    Home Page:
    :) I have had much success so far. I'll be posting my rco files here soon. I am able to load the store without freezing, and I have changed all the icons back to normal except the "What's New" section. Once I figure that out I'll post them here for you man :P I already had an OFW 4.82 PUP and I'm on 4.82 so it was no trouble at all. Clock works perfectly fine too.