PS3 [RELEASE] Minus 18 MB v1.00 (dev_flash free space adjuster) v1.00

Install some free space to your dev_flash using magic!

1. 7,824
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

A free space adjuster
    or a package full of nothing?

[​IMG]

This package does something magic, it installs 18MB of free space onto your dev_flash partition. The package is actually 18MB in size too funnily enough. :)

It uses some dark quantum power that has been hidden from us for centuries by hard drive companies, to actually add free space instead of taking it away. If there is any interest, I might consider releasing a 1TB free space adjuster package for dev_hdd0 :-p

This uses a little trick, when Minus_18MB installs you will gain 18MB of free space on flash, and you will find a new package in dev_hdd0/packages/ called "Plus_18MB.pkg" , Install that and you will lose your free space again. More magic.

NOTE 1: This is not an "installer" application, this pkg installs the free space directly in one step from package manager to dev_blind. Due to that, this package file needs dev_blind to be enabled before install or it can not adjust the free space, you have been warned. :)

Thanks to @aldostools and @lmn7 for their work on force_install_to packages.

NOTE 2: This is only tested on the latest Rebug (4.84.2 REX) but it should work fine on other recent CFW, just 2 whats new icons will turn red if not on Rebug. When restoring using the Plus_18MB.pkg it actually restores the 4.84 REX hknw_plugin.sprx, so if you are not on Rebug 4.84 REX, you can restore by installing CFW again. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

NOTE 3: This has issues on PASTA DEX CFW from reports. It has only been tested on Rebug REX, use on other CFW at your own risk.

This actually dummies some files:
    • 4 Japanese fonts
    • hknw_plugin.sprx
    • hknw_plugin.rco
    • removes photo gallery entry from photo category
    • Plus it dummies some unused images.
    Note: All changes can be reverted by installing the dev_hdd0/Plus_18MB.pkg and rebooting
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  2. 7,824
    DeViL303

@aldostools : remember this idea? :) This is my first use of a package that updates itself. Not quite in this case, as its a package that adds a new package that undoes the changes the first package made.

It's kind of cool, when you run this on Rebug, it kind of acts like it moves 18MB from dev_blind into a pkg stored in dev_hdd0/packages/ .

Expect to see lots of more of these type of toggle packages from me.

Here is another Minus 18MB package attached, this one is even more magic. Its only 58kb and it still adds 18MB of free space to dev_blind if you install it. This one offers no way to take the free space away again though, you need the full one for that. :)

This could be added to flash on Rebug for example in the dev_flash/rebug/packages/ folder, then after installing Rebug CFW, if you need some space and don't care about the 4 Japanese fonts and Photo Gallery, you just click it, and dev_blind space issues are gone in one simple click. :)

@kozarovv just had a great idea! This could install symlinks to the actual files, Do you know how I would do create those, and can I add the created symlinks to a pkg then so they will work on any system?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    bitsbubba, notmeabug, Algol and 5 others like this.
  3. 6,531
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

This is the kind of magic trick that makes things dissapear :D

Btw, you should mention the firmware version compatibility, not needed to make a full list with all the compatible versions, but at least you should mention this was "designed" for 4.84

Im waiting for that 1TB recover PKG from hdd0... i think it could be the best thing ever made since the "download ram" web service, and the rumored ps4_emu.self for PS3

bitsbubba, Algol and DeViL303 like this.
  4. 7,824
    DeViL303

Good idea. The 59kb package in post 2 will work on ANY CFW, as it only dummies files, but it will turn 2 icons red, the place holder icons on the background of the whats new tiles, not a big deal. I could even remove those to make it more universal.

The Plus_18MB.pkg is different, as it restores the hknw_plugin.sprx, so that is 4.84 specific kind of, although that plugin has not changed really for ages, so it should still be ok on all recent CFW.

Anyway like all my mods, its only tested on the latest Rebug at the time, but I expect it will be fine on any CFW after 4.80. I will add a note saying this to OP.

bitsbubba and Algol like this.
  5. 103
    Estox

Estox Member

Can I install a new Firmware after this pkg is performed its magic, or do I gain a semi brick with this? Is this "mod" removed after instlalign a fresh (c)fw ?

6. 7,824
    DeViL303

You can install new firmware no problem, it will just undo the changes this mod has made. There is no risk of anything really. Worst case you need to reinstall CFW but even that is very unlikely.

All this does is replace some unused files with 0kb files, and a few images with 1x1 pixel images. The images are never used anyway. The main issue you might have, is if you selected Japanese language, then it will try load the fonts.

Of course this is at your own risk, and its new, so there could be bugs.

bitsbubba, notmeabug and Estox like this.
  7. 279
    Casavult

Casavult Member

You're on fire lately, bro (I hope you're a bro haha!). Keep up the great work, man. My PS3 never seems to get old with the amazing content you and fellow devs keep releasing lately!

bitsbubba and DeViL303 like this.
  8. 44
    notmeabug

notmeabug Member

Works fine but PS2 ISO's dont work anymore... PS3 shutdown like a YLOD I start a PS2 ISO. Why ???!

I install 18 mb plus but PS2 ISO only blackscreen.... I think I must CFW install again...

9. 7,824
    DeViL303

I can't think how this can effect ps2 games but I will check it out when I get a chance.

bitsbubba and notmeabug like this.
  10. 7,824
    DeViL303

What CFW are you on?

notmeabug likes this.
  11. 44
    notmeabug

notmeabug Member

Pasta 4.84 v2 DEX
    And now on Rebug 4.84.2 D-REX

12. 7,824
    DeViL303

OH, well, this was only made and tested on normal CFW, anyone using DEX should know that most stuff will not work on it as is.

13. 44
    notmeabug

notmeabug Member

Its okay I reinstall Rebug 4.84.2 D-REX all works fine. I use this no more and all good.

14. 7,824
    DeViL303

Ok, Just so you know, Homebrew normally needs to be specially ported to DEX, So when you use DEX you are limiting yourself as you will not have full compatibility with everything. So in future, don't assume things will just work on it the same as CEX ;)