PS3 [RELEASE] Reload XMB App v1.00 v1.0

Quicker than rebooting and the controller stays on - handy for devs/modders

1. 6,904
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    This is a simple idea I had that Kozarovv created for me to use. It uses webman updater source as a base to create an app that just reloads the XMB quickly.

This actually does make a nice difference, more than you might think. I have found it very useful when I am creating mods, I get sick of seeing the coldboot and waiting for start up when you have done it 100 times already, also then having to wait for the pad to connect and the glitches that can happen there if you press the PS button too soon etc.

Thanks to @aldostools for the webman mod updater source and to kozarovv for modding the eboot, i just made it into a pkg with a reboot icon from @Berion as an icon0.

It can be made to appear inside a sub menu like I have done in CFW Toolbox 1.00, to make it appear in a sub menu on the XMB just add this to the relevant xml.

Code:
    <Query class="type:x-xmb/folder-pixmap" key="reload" attr="reload" src="xcb://localhost/query?sort=+Game:Common.titleForSort&cond=Oe+Game:Game.titleId RELOADXMB"/>
    There are 2 pkgs included in the download, 1 installs to the game category (HG) with singstar content ID so it stays at the top always, and the other installs to Network (CB) for those that dont like adding stuff like this to game for whatever reason.

Try it out, you will be surprised how much nicer it is compared to rebooting, also makes a nice little beep. :)

esc0rtd3w, RandomDude, T.A.U and 10 others like this.
  2. 359
    HellCoreMoDz

HellCoreMoDz Member

Sleep
  3. 6,904
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    No, nothing works for HAN! :)

No Homebrew works on HAN. And this in the "CFW Tools" section. Just assume something does not work for HAN unless it specifically say "HAN" , I will make sure mention han if one of my mods supports it.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  4. 3,212
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

@DeViL303 I would like to include this tool as one of the add-ons for webMAN MOD.

Do you have the source code? I guess it's something like this:
    Code:
    int main()
    {
        return 0;
    }

T.A.U, STLcardsWS and DeViL303 like this.
  5. 6,904
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    T.A.U, STLcardsWS, n00b and 1 other person like this.
  6. 6,904
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    I think a little trick you can do, is make it category SF in the param.sfo, then if you add it to a webman submenu , it wont show in any other categories.

T.A.U, aldostools and n00b like this.
  7. 6,904
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    While on the subject of param.sfo categories, I wonderwould CFW creators like team rebug (@Joonie/@habib) consider removing this entry from category_psn.xml

Code:
    <Query
    class="type:x-xmb/folder-pixmap"
    key="gameDir"
    src="xcb://localhost/query?limit=2048&table=MMS_MEDIA_TYPE_HDD&sort=-Game:Common.stat.rating-Game:Common.timeCreated&cond=Aa+Game:Common.title+Ae+Game:Game.category HM"
    />
    The HM was only ever used for Home, and its not required any more, if that is removed from category_psn.xml we can use the for other things, like a homebrew folder (HM=Home Made) , or like adding this Reload XMB icon in a specific place without it being duplicated in the PSN category, for example inside webman menu.

Also, It would be great if you could remove this entry from category_network.xmls

Code:
    <Query
    class="type:x-xmb/folder-pixmap"
    key="gameDir"
    src="xcb://localhost/query?limit=2048&table=MMS_MEDIA_TYPE_HDD&sort=-Game:Common.stat.rating-Game:Common.timeCreated&cond=Aa+Game:Common.title+Ae+Game:Game.category CB"
    />
    As that has never been used for anything afaik, and again, we could set up a standard homebrew folder that uses this or something else. It could easily become a standard across CFW. There is no need for us to stick so close to OFW in my opinion, especially with stuff you cant see.

For example, if its removed from network, then we can add a direct link to the Reload XMB app in category_user.xml instead, next to the shutdown icon. Just small example of what it would add.

Category CB items have an advantage over others, the title is always visible on the xmb, other app types, you need to scroll onto the item for it to become visible , this means CB apps are much better suited to being integrated into sub menus like webman, or like CFW Toolbox.

T.A.U likes this.
  8. 3,212
    aldostools

I don't like the idea of remove existing features, even if they are not frequently used. I would agree to remove them only if they could cause some damage or if you get a great benefit. Removing a "feature" that have been there for years only would cause unnecessary complains from some modders.

T.A.U, CFW-User and DeViL303 like this.
  9. 6,904
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    I see your point, but for the small amount of people who might use these already, (if there even are any?) it would not be a big deal to put them back either, especially for a modder, and the benefit to all other users would outweigh their slight inconvenience.

Is there anyone reading this who uses HM category to install apps to the PSN category? Please step forward. :)

T.A.U likes this.
  10. 3,212
    aldostools

I don't remember about HM, but OpenPS3FTP uses category CB ;)
    https://store.brewology.com/ahomebrew.php?brewid=79

T.A.U and DeViL303 like this.
  11. 6,904
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Well if there is the odd exception like that, it is very easy to add this in place of the CB query. So openPS3FTP users will notice no difference, it will show in exact same place.

Code:
    <Query class="type:x-xmb/folder-pixmap" key="ftp" attr="ftp" src="xcb://localhost/query?sort=+Game:Common.titleForSort&cond=Oe+Game:Game.titleId NPXS91337"/>
    But yeah, I realise lots of people like things the way they are and have been, I think I will just create a modded Rebug with all the changes I would like to see.

T.A.U likes this.
  12. 3,212
    aldostools

You would need to add a query for each app that use it... I think there is an old version of Enable dev_blind that also uses CB ;)

You could add an option to CFW Tools to replace category_game.xml, category_network.xml, etc. with your customized versions (e.g. stripped code) and another option to restore the original xmls.

T.A.U likes this.
  13. 571
    DEX357

DEX357 Member

Could it be possible to refresh xmb values in WMM after adding or removing games?

14. 6,904
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    yeah, would need to add each one individually, that would be ok. CFW Toolbox already replaces all of the category xmls.

In CFW Toolbox i have used CB and HM, HM apps will install to the main menu, handy optional feature, i used it for the credits item too. A handy way to display text on screen that can be removed just by pressing triangle. and all other built in apps use CB.

It also externalizes things like package manager, trophies, app home, etc, so they are all in their own xmls, this makes it much easier to toggle those optional items. I think that is a better way for those items too and the users sees no difference. I will probably add that to the Rebug Mod too as its just a better way imo.

T.A.U and aldostools like this.
  15. 6,904
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Not automatically as far as i know. But you can just install and run this to see changes.

T.A.U likes this.
  16. 571
    DEX357

DEX357 Member

Still better than rebooting ps3 that the value be changed in wmm after games are removed.

17. 6,904
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    There actually would be a way to see one update without rebooting or reloading xmb, but its a bit hacky, if you had a sub category in webman games, with everything repeated, say called "webman games updated" , then you could have it so when you do a refresh, that becomes active and show changes instantly compared to main menu. then when you reboot those changes are moved to the main menu and sub category "webman games updated" gets wiped again ready for next update. Not great but it would work . :)

T.A.U likes this.
  18. 3,212
    aldostools

Maybe using explore XMB commands could be used to automate the execution of "reload xmb" like webMAN does with PKG installation, auto-play and video.

/browser.ps3$<explore XMB commands>
    https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Explore_plugin#Example_XMB_Commands:

sandungas, T.A.U and DeViL303 like this.
  19. 6,904
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    True. Forgot about that.

i see that there is this one

28: 2 Parameter: char * (ReloadXil/AvcRoomItem/...), uint8 xml?_parameters[]

That is interesting, because if webman was to display all its games as xil items using a generated xil xml,
    then it could refresh instantly without any reboot most likely by calling that function.

This would require hijacking all the xil items from video, music and game for the different genres of games. I know its not the kind of hack you would like. :)

T.A.U likes this.
  20. 7,589
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Close :)

I lost source somewhere, but is just syscall 3 with arg 1, or 0. Can't recall right now. Only thing that was added here was beep, also by syscall. Anyway beeper require higher permissions so it work only if webman or anything similar is running in background. But it will refresh XMB anyway, no matter that with or without beep.

To be honest your way probably also work fine. Point is to run anything without error, and exit as fast as possible.