Replacing thermal paste

Discussion in 'XBOX 360' started by Spawn, Jul 27, 2018.

1. 558
    Spawn

Spawn Member

So I noticed that the 360 gets pretty hot sometimes. Usually after 30 minutes or so, playing games. I've given it a good cleanup.

I've been looking into replacing the thermal paste, but have become a bit hesitant. I've seen tutorials for removing the x-clamps, but most people say that it's bad to reuse them, and I'm better off using bolts and spacers...

Anyone here that has experience with this?

2. 11,166
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I think the problem with the x clamps, iirc, is that they're tightened too much causing a bend in the motherboard. ...but yeah, plastic washers are a good idea. don't replace the s clamps either.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  3. 558
    Spawn

Spawn Member

So i would be better off, by purchasing one of those rrod kits? The ones with bolts and washers?

Also, doesn't that require drilling the Mobo?

4. 11,166
    pinky

I'm not sure about those rrod kits as I've never heard of them. the first system I bought, I bought used. it already had the x clamps removed. I replaced the thermal paste on it when it rrod. it's a temp fix though. rrod causes the mobo to warp, so if it rrod, it might be too late. :-/

they say to unplug the fan for approximately two minutes to let the thermal paste settle. it will blink with two red lights meaning it's overheating. after that, turn off the console and plug the fan back in. I have no idea if this makes a difference or if this in effect damages the system. this is what I did, and my system still failed. :(

5. 558
    Spawn

Spawn Member

Mine haven't tried yet, to my knowledge. It runs great, tho it tends to run the fans at 100% at all times. I installed my games to the HDD, to reduce fan noice and tear on my discs.

Just opened it up and noticed that the x-clamps is replaced. IMG_20180727_143807.jpg IMG_20180727_143818.jpg
    There's a bulge where the CPU is located. And the bolts they used is huge.

I actually think I'm better off by NOT doing anything to it.

6. 11,166
    pinky

one option you have, if you rgh the system, is to replace the dvd drive with a fan. the normal fan's output is 5V while the dvd drive's is 12V, so you can place a pretty heavy duty fan in there as long as you don't care about the noise. normally, removing the dvd drive will cause a blinking power light on the system, but there's a patch for that if you rgh. just click the checkmark for it in jrunner or xebuild gui. :)

7. 5,042
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

The bolts and washers replacement are wrong... but the original design is wrong too :P

The problem of the original design is under the clamp there is a plastic piece that concentrates all the pressure in a very small "dot" (located at the center)
    And the replacement bolts/washers concentrates the pressure on 4 points (located at the corners, externally)

Both designs causes bending of the motherboard because the "forces" are not well aligned ;)

This is hard to explain... but the point is... at a side of the motherboard you have the CPU (or GPU) that is an square, ok ?
    So... to "ballance forces" you need to use another square at the other side

Imagine this squematic, the arrows represents forces:
    force--->square --->CPU<---square<---force

Because the squares are of the same exact size and the force at both sides is equal... then the CPU in between is like in a "neutral" position

Then consider this squematic:
    force--->square --->CPU<---dot<---force

In this design the motherboard is going to bend in the direction of the dot

8. 11,166
    pinky

I read an interview with the lead engineer of the xbox 360. he said that the main reason the system design sucks is the dvd drive. apparently, microsoft forgot about it when engineering the system, so the chips are essentially boxed in. plus, there's the fact that the fan is pretty far from the chips. I believe ms has spent over a bullion, may a billion and a half, due to rrod. they also increased the warranty to 3 years. lol

9. 558
    Spawn

Spawn Member

Well TBH, microshit f-ed up as usual. ;)

At least I can play my games on it. That's the most important thing. :)

It would've been fun to play around with some Homebrew on it, but still...
    Maybe I'll get a second Xbox that's hacked later on.

10. 5,042
    sandungas

The problem with the fans is the white plastic "air duct" has "leaks" instead of being perfectly sealed

Imagine you have a tube and you place a fan with the perfect diameter of the tube "sucking" air in a side
    The fan creates a "depressure" inside the tube, lets say... 100 units
    Because the tube is sealed... the 100 units are applyed at the other side of the tube

But if you make some "holes" in the middle of the tube then you are not going to have the 100 units at the other side
    All that holes are "leaks"... and the bigger they are... the smaller "depressure" you have at the other side

A mod to solve this is to use rubber tape at bottom of the air duct (sticked to the motherboard) to try to seal it in the best way posible

------------------
    In PS3 slim doesnt happens that because the fan is next to the heatsink metal block and is "pushing" air (instead of sucking)... so 100% of the air moved by the fan passes through the metal heatsink

Edit:
    Not 100%.... because the metal shields of PS3 slim has some holes aligned with the fan center that are intended to make an small amount of air to move over the RAM chips and CELL/RSX voltage regulators

Spawn likes this.
  11. 11,166
    pinky

homebrew is nice, but the 360 is seriously lacking in that department. beyond xm360 (unlocks content) and maybe a couple of others, the homebrew scene is pretty bad. a lot of it seems incomplete or in the beta phase...yet released. the system has a solid library, and is now pretty cheap. one of the big three actually stopped fixing systems from last gen. I'm thinking that it was Nintendo and the Wii U though.

Spawn likes this.
  12. 558
    Spawn

Spawn Member

@sandungas I might just take a little swim around that pond. See if I can come up with some ideas for solving the airflow issues. Preferably without modifying the actual casing of the 360.

Perhaps a different design for the fans air duct..

13. 5,042
    sandungas

The air duct would be better if it was more straightforward, the original has some small corner but as far i remember there is no room to modify it much, the easyer thing is what i mentioned about using rubber tape to "seal" every small gap or hole you find in it

Btw i remember in xbox360 the fan speed is controlled by using a table with temperatures and the speed associated with every temperature (and i think the PS3 does the same), the difference is the xbox360 loads that table from a block of the NAND... so you can change it (and i think in PS3 is stored inside syscon so we cant change it)
    Im not sure how many xbox360 models are compatibles with this mod, but it was posible to do it in the oldest ones that was flashed with JTAG

Edit:
    "single side adhesive foam tape" is a more accurate name... you know... that rolls used to stick along the doors frames (to avoid cold to enter at home, or to reduce noises)
    [​IMG]
    This one of the photo looks nice for electronics

Tupakaveli and Spawn like this.
  14. 11,166
    pinky

yes, you can make a NAND with temp thresholds built into it or alter them with dashlaunch. you can also control the fan directly. both require a jtag/rgh.

15. 558
    Spawn

Spawn Member

Yes.. And sadly I don't have a jtag/rgh. :(

Will try the tape.

I just had a thought.. what if I reverted the airflow? Perhaps in combination with removing and/or modifying the airduct..?

16. 11,166
    pinky

not sure. I know that they make better heatsinks. I think they're chrome, and they cost like forty bucks for each the cpu and the gpu. it'd probably be cheaper just to replace the system then. with that being said, I'd personally try something cheap.

17. 1,365
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Ive heard of this sketchy RROD repair! Is your X360 on of the 1st Gen!? Ive heard Bolts cause too much bend on the board, and the X Clap was a bad design imo

18. 187
    Tupakaveli

Tupakaveli VIP PSX-Place Supporter

What you could try is something like this

[​IMG]

I have done it myself and it does reduce the temps by a few degrees.

Also if you remove the DVD drive you can jump these pins in the connector to stop the power LED flashing

[​IMG]

Spawn likes this.
  19. 5,042
    sandungas

Yep, thats it, and the foam tape i mentioned goes at bottom of the plastic duct... to seal the gap in between motherboard and the vertical air duct walls
    Maybe can be used foam tape too all around the fans borders.... to seal the gap in between fans borders and the air duct

Just made a drawing to be clear where are the gaps at bottom
    [​IMG]

Tupakaveli likes this.
  20. 187
    Tupakaveli

Tupakaveli VIP PSX-Place Supporter

You can do this to make your fan run at 12v (may be noisy)
    Looks like your motherboard is a Falcon

[​IMG]