Replacing thermal paste

Discussion in 'XBOX 360' started by Spawn, Jul 27, 2018.

1. 11,574
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

translation = ms f'd up trying to beat sony to the market. ;)

2. 560
    Spawn

Spawn Member

I have a Jasper motherboard.

I feel a wee bit anxious about removing the bolts and heatsinks, as I'm not sure if it'll help or if I simply end up with a f-ed bricked 360.

I was thinking about getting a casing of a bad 360, and cut up a hole for a big-a$$ fan directly on top of the chips. Or maybe 2-4 small fans around the corners, to help push air inside the console.

3. 1,338
    psykosis

psykosis Developer Developer

will this work??

[​IMG]

Spawn likes this.
  4. 11,574
    pinky

I've seen people do that. it's pretty sad that it's the user's job to fix a company's mistake. that's one reason I've been hesitant to play my ps4 phat. that was an expensive console too since it's limited edition. I don't want it or the controller to fail. ;)

5. 5,405
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

At the time to remove the bolts you need to be specially carefull about counting the "turns" of every bolt and take note about it and his position (you can use a permanent painter to paint some marks on the motherboard, next to the bolt holes)

The point is... that bolts can be adjusted at any height (or pressure), and there is no limits for them
    By countng the "turns" you can calculate the heights to ballance them
    Lets say... the bolts (located at the corners) are originally thighten with this pressure:
    NE = 37 turns
    NW = 37 turns
    SE = 37 turns
    SW = 33 turns !!!

That difference of height in one of the bolts is going to cause a very special deformation pattern on the motherboard... specially if the xbox360 was working like that for months... or years

If you had the bolts like that... at the time you place the bolts again you need to use the same number of turns they had (to preserve the deformation)

The motherboards have deformations and is normal... but when have been deformed in a direction is a bad idea to try to recover the planarity, or to try to deform it in a different direction... in other words... if the motherboard is bent then keep it like that and dont change it
    The worst that could happen to a motherboard is if you deform it in a direction (usually the motherboard survives to this), and them deform in a different direction (this is when the circuits in the internal layers of the motherboard "breaks")

Also... be very carefull with not adding an excesive number of "turns" in the bolts, lets say with the example above... you could add a bit more pressure by doing this (i have only added 1 turn in each)
    NE = 38 turns
    NW = 38 turns
    SE = 38 turns
    SW = 34 turns

But if i where you... i would not do this, your motherboard is bent actually

6. 215
    Tupakaveli

Tupakaveli VIP PSX-Place Supporter

Ah, I just guessed it was a Falcon because of the RROD kit and the extra little heatsink with the copper pipe.

None of the Jaspers I've RGH'd have that so I figured they were only on Falcons. But it seems they are on early Jaspers also.

That 12v fan mod will still work on a Jasper.

In my Jasper I replaced the stock fan with 2 60mm pc fans wired to 12v points on the bottom of the board. They pull more air but it sounds like a jet engine lol.

7. 560
    Spawn

Spawn Member

I see.

Well, I'll be getting a spare white Jasper (workings unknown) to pull for parts. No idea if it runs, but it has no HDD, otherwise I'd simply just use that one to preserve my RE-LE.

There are quite a few methods to check out, it seems. Gonna use the white one as a labrat.

8. 11,574
    pinky

the 360 can run without an hdd, but to use the system to its full extent, you should get one. you'll have to install the firmware again to get kinect, avatar, media, and xbox original compatibility files installed. that's why jtag/rgh systems require the official firmware to get back the avatar files. otherwise, you get a grey silhouette in lieu.

tbh, I don't recall what happens if you try using another hdd on a different system. content contains a profile and device id. the profile id is obvious. the device id on the other hand may refer to the hdd or it may refer to the system. if you try playing the content on another system with a different profile, it will force you to connect to live. this is how people were trading games or pirating them basically without an rgh.