PS3 [Research] Modifying the Coldboot/Gameboot Sequence (custom_render_plugin.sprx/rco)

Discussion in 'XMB Modifications' started by DeViL303, Aug 30, 2019.

1. 42
    diegogta4

diegogta4 Member

yes, but I believe sony modified the code just to disable it but kept the logos inside it ... Suppose Sony didn't mess with the gamelib, so why does activating gameboot with game_ext.rco doesn't come back as it was?

Enviado de meu SM-J600GT usando o Tapatalk

2. 6,415
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Is needed to consider also custom_render_plugin.sprx/rco
    custom_render_plugin.sprx is the responsible to load lines.qrc and icons.qrc (and probably some more .qrc) and also probably is responsible of passing the control to gamelib_plugin.sprx/rco

Btw, the <Animation name="anim_gameboot"> inside gamelib_plugin.rco is pretty much the same than the animation inside custom_render_plugin.rco
    The only difference is the last line of the animation where it triggers the <FireEvent>'s
    In custom_render_plugin.rco
    Code:
    <FireEvent event="event:native:/anim_otherboot_Finished" />
    In gamelib_plugin.rco
    Code:
    <FireEvent event="event:native:/GameLibApp_OnBootAnimationFinished" />
    Have different names, but i guess both does the same

diegogta4 and Algol like this.
  3. 42
    diegogta4

diegogta4 Member

So there are no significant differences between the new gamelib and the old one, so another file has the function of controlling gameboot, I thought gamelib would be solely responsible for controlling it. I thought just taking gamelib from older versions at 3.00 and modifying it to work at 4.85 would work, but it's a bit more complex than I thought. If anyone who understands wants to give a little attention to this matter would be grateful. thank you for the explanation.

4. 467
    Md Hesam

Md Hesam Member

Student
    Home Page:
    Can anyone add original gameboot on [HEN] PS3 4K Pro v4.5?

5. 6,415
    sandungas

Yes is a mess, i dont understand it completly, and to make things more tricky sony changed the way how it works at some point in an old firmware
    https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/RCOXML_ofw_animations

This is inside custom_render_plugin.rco
    Code:
    			<Animation name="anim_gameboot">
    				<Lock unknownInt0="0xffffffff" />
    				<Fade object="object:ps3logo" duration="0" accelMode="0x0" transparency="0" />
    				<Resize object="object:ps3logo" duration="0" accelMode="0x0" width="0.938" height="0.938" depth="1" />
    				<FireEvent event="event:native:/anim_gameboot_BG2" />
    				<Delay time="500" />
    				<Fade object="object:ps3logo" duration="863" accelMode="0x3" transparency="1" />
    				<Resize object="object:ps3logo" duration="863" accelMode="0x4" width="1" height="1" depth="1" />
    				<FireEvent event="event:native:/anim_gameboot_BG3" />
    				<Delay time="1100" />
    				<Fade object="object:ps3logo" duration="174" accelMode="0x1" transparency="0" />
    				<Resize object="object:ps3logo" duration="174" accelMode="0x1" width="1.284" height="1.284" depth="1" />
    				<Delay time="1000" />
    				<Delay time="200" />
    				<FireEvent event="event:native:/anim_gameboot_Finished" />
    			</Animation>

This is inside gamelib_plugin.rco (never changed)
    Code:
    			<Animation name="anim_gameboot">
    				<Lock unknownInt0="0xffffffff" />
    				<Fade object="object:ps3logo" duration="0" accelMode="0x0" transparency="0" />
    				<Resize object="object:ps3logo" duration="0" accelMode="0x0" width="0.938" height="0.938" depth="1" />
    				<Delay time="500" />
    				<Fade object="object:ps3logo" duration="863" accelMode="0x3" transparency="1" />
    				<Resize object="object:ps3logo" duration="863" accelMode="0x4" width="1" height="1" depth="1" />
    				<Delay time="1100" />
    				<Fade object="object:ps3logo" duration="174" accelMode="0x1" transparency="0" />
    				<Resize object="object:ps3logo" duration="174" accelMode="0x1" width="1.284" height="1.284" depth="1" />
    				<Delay time="1000" />
    				<Delay time="200" />
    				<FireEvent event="event:native:/GameLibApp_OnBootAnimationFinished" />
    			</Animation>

Is the same stuff, the biggest difference is the last line, and i think are different because are loaded from different .sprx files... but the info loaded from that .sprx's probably does the same

The animation inside gamelib_plugin.rco never changed btw (is exactly the same since his firset version until nowadays)
    And the animation inside custom_render_plugin.rco changed a bit in firmware 3.00 but they only shorted timings a bit and removed one <FireEvent>... so the firmware still loads it but is shorter (so is there but is barelly notable)

DeViL303 and diegogta4 like this.
  6. 6,415
    sandungas

Some weeks ago i uploaded a custom_render_plugin with the coldboot and gameboot from firmware 1.00 (and works on HEN)
    I dont remember where i uploaded though, probbly it was in this same thread, take a read back at the old posts, it was a a talk in between me, @Danxx444 and @Naked_Snake1995

7. 42
    diegogta4

diegogta4 Member

yes, I believe then that sony has moved other files to change the way gameboot works.

8. 6,415
    sandungas

I uploaded the files again, are 2 different versions of custom_render_plugin.rco
    The first i made have the coldboot and gameboot from firmware 1.00
    The other have the coldboot from firmware 1.00 and the gameboot is a "clone" of the PS4 coldboot
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/awx708

Both are compatibles with all PS3 firmwares since 4.70 up to 4.85, you can use then in CFW, HAN, HEN, etc...

DeViL303 likes this.
  9. 6,415
    sandungas

The selection was made from a .sprx, actually if you take a look at the files i just uploaded you are going to realize the way the patches works are pretty much the same
    Basically... im redirecting anim_coldboot2 ---> to anim_coldboot... and anim_otherboot ---> to anim_gameboot

The goal of this redirections is to have control of which animation is going to be played... in other words im keeping only 1 posible animation for coldboot, and 1 posible animation for gameboot
    So it doesnt matters which one tryes to load the .sprx

The only contra of this trick is im only keeping 1 animation for gameboot (instead of 2 used in old firmwares) but i think doesnt matters much, and it simplifyes it

10. 467
    Md Hesam

Md Hesam Member

Student
    Home Page:
    How can I use this file custom_render_plugin.rco for gameboot to ps3 hen?

11. 1,210
    LuanTeles

LuanTeles Senior Member

Civil Engineer
    Home Page:
    You need to patch the lines.qrc and enable the old animation in the custom_render_plugin.rco you can grab the files of my pro mod HEN version that has it enabled (kinda of because i changed it)

12. 6,415
    sandungas

Btw, i was like half an hour trying to figure what means this post but is too much confusing :/
    It could help if you rewrite it in a more accurate way and trying to be the most explicit posible

13. 42
    diegogta4

diegogta4 Member

really the files are very similar, so it would be possible to use gamelib from 2.80 for example on 4.85.

In the second paragraph you talk about choosing the animations between 1 or 2, so you know how to do it?

It wouldn't actually be 2 animations. With DVDs, CDs and other applications the gameboot just wouldn't appear.

14. 7,647
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

I am lost too for last few pages. I thought we were trying to find the specific override or broken override that allows/creates the higgs particle.

15. 6,415
    sandungas

At his point the higgs seems to be isolated into either:
    lines.qrc/override/coldboot1/PARTICLES.mnu
    lines.qrc/override/coldboot2/PARTICLES.mnu

But that .mnu files are identicals as far i remember (same MD5), and the fact we are patching them for coldboot1 and coldboot2 is not really needed
    Is something some of you decided to do because it seems when the coldboot plays it loads both files (i guess first coldboot1, and then coldboot2) in a very fast sequence

Do you remember there was a test when we modifyed only one of them (but not the other), and the particles animation was expanding them (like an explosion of stars in the space) or contracting them (i dont remember well)

---------
    Anyway... from this point we can continue the higgs hunting by using one of that files. But the results of the 3 patches i mentioned before are very important, because are doing different things. Based on that, we can deduce if the higgs was enabled either by:
    -corrupting the .mnu file (so some code functions are broken)
    -redirecting it to base (so it loads the settings from base)
    -converting them to dummies (so it loads the default settings hardcoded somewhere else)

DeViL303 likes this.
  16. 6,415
    sandungas

I think when you was booting an standard game in old firmwares it was triggering the animation named "anim_gameboot" (from inside custom_render_plugin.rco), and when booting an special game it was triggering "anim_otherboot"

For the modern firmwares they shorted the lenght of the "anim_otherboot" and all games (standard and special games) triggers the "anim_otherboot"
    The result is they nerfed all the gameboot animations... is still playing but his lenght is around 1.2 seconds only and the visual effects that happens in this initial 1.2 seconds are not even notable (but if you keep attention to it you will notice how it does some "zoom in" with the particles, heheh)
    The lenght is not enought to allow you to see the "playstation 3" logo with the spiderman font... but is till there

---------
    The solution i did by redirecting "anim_otherboot" is to force the firmware to load the "anim_gameboot" (is exactly the same code used in official firmware 1.00 i didn't modifyed it)
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/r...der_plugin-sprx-rco.25952/page-28#post-218672

Later we was playing around with the logo used in the gameboot and i made another one with the PS4 logo, but is the same concept, im forcing the firmware to load the old "anim_gameboot" :)

DeViL303 likes this.
  17. 7,647
    DeViL303

Bit off topic but i just tried a very experimental patch, where I removed every single value from the official lines.qrc so it just read all "0A" (new line) for every byte of each MNU.

upload_2019-12-17_16-59-0.png

I thought it might show me the default sprx settings with no over rides, I guess it does but its kind of crap and super zoomed in.

upload_2019-12-17_17-2-29.png

:)

There is one thing that stands out, there is a static reflection effect that is a like a blurred particle spinning that never changes position unlike all other particles.
    upload_2019-12-17_17-7-32.png

Attached Files:

sandungas likes this.
  18. 6,415
    sandungas

Hehe, interesting, it looks a good start point to build something on top of it but not sure what

I agree that i would have expected something more simple for default settings instead of that... but in some way it looks fine, it makes me remmeber a bit like christmash, dunno maybe is because we are getting close to it :D

The static reflection is an annoyance though :/

DeViL303 likes this.
  19. 467
    Md Hesam

Md Hesam Member

Student
    Home Page:
    This things should be add to PS3 Pro Mod latest version!
    Nice things
    Good @DeViL303

DeViL303 likes this.
  20. 7,647
    DeViL303

Yeah, I think I did it right, I will try some sprx patches to replicate/confirm it if I can.

With the reflection, It's not static exactly, it just does not move around the screen , it's kind of like its on another layer compared to the particles. hard to explain so here is a video :)

When the particles go crazy I am shaking the controller.

Also no wave without over rides,.. But particles still show.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019