Restoring Saves/Trophies (from HDD BACKUP) After Formatting

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by UniqueUserName, May 4, 2018.

1. 1,258
    UniqueUserName

UniqueUserName R.I.P.

AAA
    Home Page:
    @ Everyone

My goal here is restoring my Saves/Trophies (from HDD BACKUP) - after formatting.

Ive been trying to re-add/fix the PS3 since yesterday :eek:...

This is what Ive been doing so far:
    Code:
    Create Back-Up (of PS3 HDD): dev_hdd0 / home
    Delete (on PS3 HDD): home
    Transfer Backed-Up (to PS3 HDD): home
    Shut-Down PS3
    Enter Recovery-Mode
    Rebuild Database
    Reboot PS3
    What am I doing wrong here???

After doing all listed above...
    I can confirm the trophies re-appear (with completion percentages and all)...
    However, now the PS3 freezes before I can even start a game (to see if my saves are back)...

Even freezes while just using wMM-Setup (in XMB) to refresh the Game-List.
    It NEVER did anything like this before.

I have even tried just copying over the new data, without deleting anything, as well.

3rd time now:
    Re-formatting, Re-building database, Re-installing CFW/PKGs/APPs/Games...
    Annnnnd then Re-doing ALL the Settings (for the console itself and all the apps too)... Ugh... Im frustrated :(

Please help @ Community

====================================================

Information you may need to know:
    (NOOBS= Please NOTE that Im posting all my info before they ask ;))

Console = PS3
    Model # = CECH-2501B
    Firmware = 4.82.2 CFW (Rebug REX)
    Hard Drive = Internal 320GB

I have NEVER EVER been on PSN.
    However, I am connected to the Internet (if that makes a difference).

My PS3-UserName is the 1st (and only) account (again) on the PS3...
    With the same exact-spelling and case-sensitivity (identical to how it was before backup).

The folder inside my HOME-folder (HDD BACKUP):

The folder inside my HOME-folder (in PS3 HDD):
    (Why is this one different now???)

====================================================

2. 1,933
    Berion

Berion Developer

You must restore saves and trophies in the same user dir (because of user number in SFO) and restore NP Account ID for this user console account to make ownership of them (because they are signed for specific AID and all data is protected by PFD).

The easiest way is just backup data by file manager (which You have done), restore it in proper user number dir (i.e "dev_hdd0/home/00000000/"), and replacing new xRegstry.sys by old from backup and at the end of course reb db.

If You want ownership over saves and trophies for different account, it's literally pain in the ass because You must decrypt saves (?) and resigned every single pair SFO+PFD (some games doesn't use PFD but all trophies does).

If You don't know Your AID, it's written in plain text in SFO, :D exporting save dir in PS4 or in many place in PSV (i.e in "ux0:/mcid.dat"). Of course You getting AID after register console user account in SEN. If You didn't this, Your AID is 16b of zeroes and ownership validation mechanism in such case is unknown to me.

BTW: I have successfully moved i.e saves and trophies from one console (registered in SEN) to another (never connected to the internet) so I'm sure of my words.

PS: Yes, it is normal that CellOS displaying content not matching to current user because console doesn't validating this during rebuilding database.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    UniqueUserName likes this.
  3. 1,258
    UniqueUserName

UniqueUserName R.I.P.

AAA
    Home Page:
    Berion, Im not even going to try to pretend I understood ANY of that...
    Ummm, can you Noob-It-Up a bit for me please?..
    Maybe a step-by-step or something?

Like, this folder do this, that folder do that, LMAO...
    I didnt even make it through your first sentence without feeling dumb. :(

Yes, I made a complete backup of HDD (dev_flash/blind, hdd0, etc), which is all I understood... Sorry. :oops:

None of the abbreviations/words you are using are known by me...
    My PS3 hasnt not been turned on for two-full-weeks since Ive owned it...
    Im new.

Did you read the OP (do I need to provide more information)?

The only thing it sounds like you want to know from me is have I registered anything anywhere...
    NO... My PS3 has never seen PSN, nor any other site (other than PS3Xploit.com). ;)
    ...and it only has one account on console itself.

My only experience with the PS3 is:
    Performing the exploit, changing CFWs at will, manipulating the XMB, editing XML documents, accessing dev_flash & dev_blind, manipulating PS1 & PS2 memory-card-contents (for use as virtual PS3 memory cards), FTP, testing some hombrew, testing PS1/PS2/PSP emulation-compatibility through wMM, some formatting tests, CD-ISO PS2-emulator/homebrew-on-PS3-tests, and whatever else I covered already in the thread HERE:
    http://www.psx-place.com/threads/journey-of-a-noob-in-the-ps3-world.15845/

That is pretty much it... Whip me if you must, but treat me like the Noob I am on this platform. :)

4. 1,933
    Berion

Berion Developer

I read everything. ;)

Ok then, quick condensed knowledge: ^^

A. Every saves and trophies have files PARAM.SFO and PARAM.PFD which determine what Sony Entertainment user is the owner.
    B. Saves and trophies are the only important data which is signed for specific SEN user, other content (like i.e games or VM1/VM2) is not.
    C. Every SEN user getting unique NP Account ID number which identifies it in the network and in the all Sony consoles in all their operating systems.
    D. Part of signing process involved AID.
    E. AID is written in system settings inside file "dev_flash2/etc/xRegistry.sys" (I'm not sure the path, I'm writing this from memory).
    F. If You never signed into SEN, Your AID is filled with zeroes and user validation is based on something else than AID (if even is).

Backup and restoration with AID:
    1. backup xRegistry.sys, saves and trophies
    2. restore saves and trophies to correct dir (i.e "$home/00000001/")
    3. restore xRegistry.sys
    4. reboot console and You can get warning if this is another mother board, don't format, reboot again by force if need ;)
    5. PS3 will start normally, so go now to recovery mode and rebuild database

Backup and restoration without AID:
    1. backup xRegistry.sys, saves and trophies
    2+. ? ;P

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    jbtheworld and UniqueUserName like this.
  5. 1,258
    UniqueUserName

UniqueUserName R.I.P.

AAA
    Home Page:
    Okay, now we are getting somewhere. :D
    Thanks for the condensed info... Much appreciated!

Located the xRegistry.sys file, opened it in Notepad++...
    I can now see all the locations where it states: "00000024"

"00000024" is the folder-name inside the "HOME" folder of my HDD-backup...
    BUT it does NOT-match what is currently on my PS3 now: "00000032"

How do I proceed?

Do I Rename the 32-folder to match the original 24-folder?
    ...Or do I edit the xReg-file so every 24 is 32?
    ...Or do I copy-over my entire "00000024" backup, so there would be two folders in "HOME" (both 24 and 32 folders)?

What do you mean by "restore xRegistry.sys"?...
    Do you mean to simply overwrite the one-currently-in-the-PS3 with the one-from-backup?

I dont want to start this until I know what Im doing exactly...
    You know, the Anti-Noob way (patience/understand FIRST lolololol).

Thanks for all your help and knowledge so far! :D

6. 1,933
    Berion

Berion Developer

It is binary data, don't edit it by text editors! ;]

Changing user number could be not enough.

Yes, that's what I have in mind. Overwrite the file.

7. 1,258
    UniqueUserName

UniqueUserName R.I.P.

AAA
    Home Page:
    Okay... overwrite... now what?
    Add the 24 folder to HOME with 32? Or delete the 32 folder? Or rename the 32 to 24?

8. 463
    haxxxen

haxxxen Developer

I would modify the user account number in xreg and restore it. so put 00000032 instead of 00000024. or vice versa you have to rename your home account number folder to 00000024 and also modify a specific file on hdd0 (it is called last_known_blabla). I think it is under home folder somewhere and if you do not modify it, the ps3 will always automatically use an account number++ based on the value in this file

9. 1,258
    UniqueUserName

UniqueUserName R.I.P.

AAA
    Home Page:
    Berion said not to edit the xReg with Notepad++, what should I use for this xReg-Binary-Code he mentioned?

Change ALL 24 to 32 in xReg.

Okay, then do I dump my 24-folder contents to 32 folder in their entirety? Overwrite? Only move certain files? Etc.

Or can I just drop the 24-folder into HOME, leave xReg alone, alter blabla, and keep both folders in HOME?

Im soooo confused lmfao. :(

Change/alter last_known_blabla to match.

10. 463
    haxxxen

haxxxen Developer

to modify xreg, I would recommend using a hexeditor (that's what I prefer) or use the tool from aldo "PS3 Registry Editor.exe" or this older tool "xRegistryEditor.exe v0.75"

to restore the trophies/saves you only have to copy over the "/dev_hdd0/home/000000XX/savedata/" and/or "/dev_hdd0/home/000000XX/trophy/" folder(s) and then restore database. though you will need your old psn account data from xreg, when you restore it on a fresh firmware install, to get ownership as mentioned by Berion. alternatively, you could resign them, but that is some hassle I wouldn't take

edit
    the file I mentioned, isn't called this way, but I only remember "last_known" part from it. if you delete this file, your account number will start from 00000001 again if modified in xreg

11. 4,472
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

@UniqueUserName please open one of the PARAM.SFO files from any of your savegames (the originals you want to restore), with a SFO editor and look at the ACCOUNT_ID ?... the only thing from it i would like to know is if is filled with zeroes

And not sure if i undertood you right.... your user ID under path dev_hdd0/home was 00000001 ? (in the backup you made with the original/old files)

Edit:
    And check ACCOUNT_ID too in the PARAM.SFO of your trophies... it should match with the one in your savegames... but just take a look to have better confirmation

12. 1,258
    UniqueUserName

UniqueUserName R.I.P.

AAA
    Home Page:
    dev_hdd0/home backup was 00000024 / current HDD format says 00000032

I havent been able to get an SFO-Editor that works on my PC...
    Even the recent one on our site for PS3/PS4 does not start for me...
    LINK me to one please?
    Been trying to do this for 30 freakin minutes now...

Why am I doing this exactly???
    ...and why would it not be filled with zeros, if the only-online-site Ive ever-been-on was ps3xploit.com?
    I have never used PSN, nor do I ever play games online. lol

This is driving me nuts!

13. 4,472
    sandungas

I doubt if your ACCOUNT_ID is filled with zeroes because your user ID is 00000024... but it should not be 24 unless you started creating users and deleting them when you bought the PS3... or incase the previous owner had up to 23 users then deleted them and sold to you (so the first account you made was given number 24). All this confuses me a bit

The only official way to reset that number in a CECH-25xx with NOR flash like yours (and i guess in other PS3 models with NOR flash), is by taking the PS3 internall hdd out and formatting it in PC
    Formatting the hdd in PS3 doesnt resets it (yep, this is weird)

By formatting it in PC it returns to 00000001... after that you can start creating users and deleting them until you reach the 24 (to match with your backuped files)

And then... (and only if ACCOUNT_ID = 0x0000000000000000 in both "source" and "target")... you can just copypaste your files to the new firmware installation... to the path under dev_hdd0/home/00000024

But dont overwrite the whole "home" tree... look inside "home"... there is a folder for savedata, and another for trophies
    Inside them... you are going to find a folder that works like an index (is located at top with a name like __THIS__), dont overwrite that one because it belongs to the new firmware installation (and the new user)
    Just copy the individual savedata and trophy folders.... and finally go to recovery and rebuild database
    I think this should work

*For the SFO editor you can use the one in aldo PS3 tools

14. 10,455
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

maybe try running the PARAM.SFO editor as administrator. I don't think that the profile id goes in order, so you might see a jump like that. I'm not sure why your account id has characters in it if you've never signed in. I reformatted my drive, made a new account, then checked my account id. it was blank. however, the save editor has the previous account id saved into it. maybe that's what's happening to you?

dunno. I have tutorials on manipulating ps2 saves and their formats on the ps3, but ps3 saves can get confusing. tbh, I've never tried what you're trying to do .profile information is recorded in the indexer which is the reason for rebuilding the database. it's also in the xregistry. that may be the reason why you're having trouble.

15. 4,472
    sandungas

Well, the methods we was talking about are intended to be used when you want to transfer a good amount of savedata/trophies
    The "pros" of what i was explaining is there is no need to modify any file

But for an individual savegame/trophy is better to modify it, basically there are two ways of doing it, by using the tool from aldo (i dont have experience with it) or the command line tool from flat_z

The concept is... you need to modify the ACCOUNT_ID (only incase doesnt matches with the new one), and the user ID (24 in your case) that appears in PARAMS
    Both values are inside the PARAM.SFO of both savedata and trophies (and trophies doesnt have the PARAMS)

When you have the PARAM.SFO ready (few bytes modifyed)... then is needed to "update" the PARAM.PFD
    By doing this... the PARAM.PFD is rebuilt and stores the hash of the new PARAM.SFO (with your changes)

And thats all... when both PARAM.SFO and PARAM.PFD are ready... you can copypaste it to internal hdd (next to the other trophies or savedatas) and rebuild database

*The app from aldo does this automatically

16. 1,258
    UniqueUserName

UniqueUserName R.I.P.

AAA
    Home Page:
    I cannot get aldos ps3 tools here, Ive tried twice... and I even searched the net for aldo and found his website, which wont let me download it either... Im lost...

Account ID:
    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    @sandungas ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All the saves I have list that as the "ACCOUNT_ID"

via Homebrewed PlayStation3 System File Editor v0.80 beta

sandungas likes this.
  17. 4,472
    sandungas

Good, but in the meantime i was making some screencaptures for you to see, i guess this could be the "part one" of a tutorial

I went to gamefaqs and did choose this savedata as a guinea pig https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps3/604704-ace-combat-assault-horizon/saves
    Better download it to follow the steps, you only need a hex editor, the goal is to modify the PARAM.SFO with your new ACCOUNT_ID and your new user ID

Open the PARAM.SFO in the hexeditor, and look at this... is his ACCOUNT_ID
    [​IMG]
    Is easy to locate (no need to calculate offsets of anything) because is located inmediatlly after this area where appears the parameters names ordered alphabetically
    [​IMG]
    This ACCOUNT_ID is the first thing needed to change, because yours is filled with zeroes (in source and target) then you dont need to change it but anyway... is needed to mention it

After that... scroll down to the middle of the PARAM.SFO and you will see an area like this, is named PARAMS
    [​IMG]
    In the screencapture is not marked accuratelly, for detailed info see: http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PARAM.SFO#PARAMS
    Always looks like that (located at the middle and preceded and followed by a lot of zeroes), and contains the ACCOUNT_ID (again)... compare it with the first screencapture, are the same
    [​IMG]
    Of course... this second apparence of ACCOUNT_ID needs to be changed too (in your case filled with zeroes is not needed)
    The value that appears inmediatly before it (with 4 bytes lenght) is the user ID
    [​IMG]
    That savegame was generated by an user with ID = 02 (so his home folder was under dev_hdd0/home/00000002)
    You are going to have a 24... this is what you need to change to 32
    [​IMG]
    And this one too, same stuff replace the 24 by 32

Thats all... save the PARAM.SFO with the changes and you are done with it (no needed to modify it more)

Next step is to update the PARAM.PFD with flat_z tool (command line)... the update command is very simple, is just something like:
    tool.exe input.pfd -u output.pfd

This generates a new PARAM.PFD (it contains the hash of your modifyed PARAM.SFO correctly validated)
    For the tool to work... you need to have your EID key (unique for your console) available for the tool because is going to encrypt the PARAM.PFD
    I dont remember the path of the EID or the tool commands sorry, is needed to find a tutorial for that, but iirc it had a readme.txt included, and for this "update" function is easy

Found a alive link of flat_z pfdtool (yep, he used that name for the file, heheh)
    https://sites.google.com/site/millersnicker/home/einstein/strawberry_update_121412.7z
    http://www.maxconsole.com/threads/pfdtool-v0-2-3-sfopatcher-v0-2-0-are-now-available.20396/

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2018
    ZeroOne and UniqueUserName like this.
  18. 1,258
    UniqueUserName

UniqueUserName R.I.P.

AAA
    Home Page:
    @sandungas
    Thank you very much for all your help so far!

Im dumb and didnt understand any of that though, sooooo...

Mind if we switch gears on this one?..
    I took that HDD out and gave up on the saves for now...
    Saving it for another day.

What Id actually like to do instead of all this weve been discussing, is future-proof my setup instead. :D

Like making a perfect copy/clone/image of a flawless working setup, that I can go back to at any time (same method I use in PC / PS2 / PSP / etc).

Its the only way Im going to get through this one with my sanity. lmfao ;)

What Ive done so far (towards my new goal):
    I took out my 320GB HDD, and replaced it with a 1TB HDD...
    Inserted drive in PS3, and followed on-screen instructions, re-install FW (I used CFW 4.82.1 Rebug CEX this time), and format the HDD.
    All Done.

Then I re-installed all my normal-apps, and tweaked all my settings the way I like them (both within all-apps and the PS3-settings themselves).

I set up virtual memory cards for PS1 / PS2, installed some PS2 games, refreshed the XML-list through wMM-Setup, and now I have a good base to start from. :D

Now I would like to image the drive, so when I mess it up I can just format-fresh and re-install the image.

My current user-ID, as shown in hdd/home is 00000001...
    Which means anything I play and save from now on, will ALWAYS be linked to that, and if issues arise, I can just format and go back to where I was (without problems anymore). :)

Any experience with imaging?
    Normally I use Macrium-Reflect to image by partition, or whole drive...
    However, the drive does not show up in Macrium yet, and my PC wants to initialize the drive to do so (but IM SCARED! LOL)...

Basically,
    How do I make the PS3 1TB HDD show up in Windows without compromising the integrity of the drive itself and data within, so it will still work in the PS3?

Is it okay to initialize?

19. 7,374
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Can you explain why?

20. 1,258
    UniqueUserName

UniqueUserName R.I.P.

AAA
    Home Page:
    Thats not what Im working on (nor need) anymore, as Ive installed a new formatted drive, but Ill answer anyways...

The download linked, was a zip file only containing a TXT document, which itself only contained a mirror, and when I went to the mirror URL, my browser said NO FREAKIN WAY, and I couldnt access it. :(

Thanks for getting me all excited that someone was helping that fast. ;) :-p