RetroArch developers announced that beta release for PS3 and PS Vita/PSTV is here:
Today we are releasing a beta version of RetroArch 1.3.6+ (latest snapshot, release candidate for 1.3.7) for the Playstation3 and PS Vita. Be sure to thank frangarcj for the latter since he went through the trouble of making sure we could make the jump from Rejuvenate to HENKaku in swift order.
PlayStation Vita/PS TV
How to install:
1. Extract the contents of this 7zip archive to a folder somewhere on your PC. This will extract a bunch of vpk files to your harddrive.
2. On the PS Vita/PS TV, make sure the HENkaku exploit has already been installed. Go to the bubble ‘molecularShell’ and start it. Once inside the filebrowser, press ‘Select’ to start the FTP server. Write down the FTP server address you see here.
3. Go back to your desktop PC, start up an FTP client, and input the IP address and port that was displayed on your PS Vita/PS TV. Transfer the vpk files to some place on either ur0: (internal storage) or ux0: (this being your Memory Card).
4. On the PS Vita/PS TV, press circle to go back. Then once back inside the filebrowser, go to the directory where you extracted the vpk files. Install the cores you want.
5. Exit the ‘molecularShell’ program. You should now be back inside the home screen. From here,
RetroArch bubbles should start appearing in the menu. You can now use RetroArch.
How to install ROMs:
1. The same way you installed RetroArch. Start ‘molecularShell’, go through the previous section’s steps 2 and 3 again, but this time transfer roms over instead. Then load them from RetroArch.
NXEngine/Cave Story running on RetroArch Vita.
State of the port:
* (Core-related) CatSFC / SNES. Works fine. Should run at fullspeed for most games (dip to 42fps on Yoshi’s Island intro screen (SuperFX2 game), seems to be fullspeed otherwise).
* (Core-related) FB Alpha CPS1. Works fine. Fullspeed. Runs all games. Use an older FBA romset.
* (Core-related) FB Alpha CPS2. Works fine. Fullspeed. Runs all the big CPS2 ROMs. Use an older FBA romset.
* (Core-related) FB Alpha Neo Geo. Works fine. Fullspeed. Not all big ROMs will work right now though. KOF 96 could be loaded (about 23/24MB). Might have to play around with heap to be able to get bigger ROMs to load. For now expect same size limitations as the Wii port. Hopefully we can get past this soon.
* (Core-related) FCEUmm. Works fine. Fullspeed.
* (Core-related) Genesis Plus GX. Works fine. Fullspeed.
* (Core-related) Mednafen Neo Geo Pocket Color. Works fine. Framerate at around 52/53fps. There might be a new Neo Geo Pocket Color core coming soon (not Mednafen NGP) which would run at fullspeed with no problems.
* (Core-related) Handy / Lynx. Works fine. Fullspeed.
* (Core-related) Mednafen Wonderswan. Works fine. Fullspeed.
* (Core-related) Mednafen Virtual Boy. Works. Too slow (around 26fps). Corrupted pitch (likely due to 32bit color). Speedups/idle loop optimization hacks MIGHT bring this fullspeed later on.
* (Core-related) NXEngine / Cave Story. Works fine. Fullspeed.
What doesn’t work:
* ROMS have to be currently unzipped now (EXCEPT for the FB Alpha ROMs).
* No core switching yet from inside RetroArch. For now, each core is a standalone program.
* Add Content -> Download Content currently doesn’t work. If you do try it, you might have to restart.
* History list doesn’t work yet.
* Save states can be saved, but cannot be loaded yet. We need to figure out why.
* Threading needs to be still implemented.
* (Core-related) 2048 core. ‘Start content’ does not work yet like it should. Wait until we fix this.
* (core-related) Prboom/Doom core. Crashes after loading a Doom WAD. Wait until we fix this.
* (Core-related) Picodrive core. Crashes after loading a ROM. Wait until we fix this.
* (Core-related) QuickNES core. Doesn’t load a ROM. Wait until we fix this.
* (Core-related) Gambatte core. Doesn’t load a ROM. Wait until we fix this.
* (Core-related) SNES9x Next core. Doesn’t load a ROM. Wait until we fix this. Will likely be too slow compared to CatSFC anyway, so not sure if worth it for Vita.
* (Core-related) DOSBox core. Haven’t tried this yet. Likely too slow to be worthwhile.
* More cores, fix remaining cores that are broken.
* Try to get Cg runtime working so we can have Cg shaders running.
* Try to get multiple gamepads working on PS TV.
Thanks to PSGL, the PlayStation3 driver can use the XMB menu driver using the OpenGL rendering backend. The simplified ribbon should be running properly in the background too.
The PlayStation 3 port is back after it was decommissioned for a long time.
@Ezio should be uploading the CEX/DEX versions shortly, after which they will be posted on xbins as well.
What doesn’t work yet:
This version can be considered a beta release. Here are the current issues:
- You cannot scan for content as of right now. Instead, for now you should just load content directly from the filesystem.
- To be able to use zipped ROMs on emulators like SNES9x and other similar emulators, always use ‘Open Archive As Folder’, then select the ROM you want to use. Don’t use ‘Load Archive With Core’ which won’t work for now.
- If you go to ‘Information’ -> ‘Core Information’, it currently doesn’t show anything. Not a big deal for now but something we will want to fix later on regardless.
- None of the ‘downloading’ features right now will work in the PS3 port. Our networking stack code for PS3 apparently requires some customizations still. If there are any PS3 devs who can help with this, by all means.
A sneak peek at 1.3.7 features
Since this is a current nightly snapshot release, PS3 and Vita users are able to get a sneak peek at some of the features that will be part of RetroArch 1.3.7 for the other platforms.
- Improved error handling. When loading the wrong ROM into a core, most cores should be able to now gracefully exit instead of just quitting or crashing RetroArch.
- Much more complete info message system. Press ‘Select’ on any entry and 99% of the time it should show you a handy help message explaining to you what each setting does. The ‘English’ language setting is currently the one that is most complete, for all other languages we need to wait until translators have finished adding all the help messages in their own language.
Download Vita/PSTV: Official link
Download PS3: Cex / Dex / ODE
PlayStation News RetroArch 1.3.6+ beta release for PlayStation3 and PS Vita HENkaku!
By kozarovv on Aug 3, 2016 at 10:03 AM
4.85 Flash Writer Released (CFW PS3 Models Only) - Now go from 4.85 OFW to 4.85 HFW to a 4.85 CFWIt looks like the 4.85 landscape is starting to take shape now as developer's around the scene have been updated the homebrew, utilities and tools that require updates (not all things require updates) and now the PS3Xploit Team released one of the missing pieces. The Flash Writer for 4.85 HFW has now arose and now you can make the jump from 4.85 OFW >> 4.85 HFW >> Execute Flash Writer >>> Install a 4.85 CFW. This release (utility) is ONLY for PlayStation 3 models that can install a Custom FirmWare, if your model can not install a CFW then look at PS3HEN as the next best alternative to cfw, which the team has an update around the corner as well (stay tuned for that soon), but back to the Flash Writer, If your are new to the tool that is executed from the PS3 Internet Browser, it simply provides those cfw capable models with the ability to install a Custom Firmware after the tool has done its magic to your console's internal flash. However, you must follow all instructions for a clean installation to avoid any issues during the process on the fully softmod exploit..Continue reading
ManaGunZ v1.36 & v1.37: NEW PS3HEN Support , New Features & 4.85 (CEX) Support by ZarDeveloper @Zar made an update for 4.85 firmware (cex) support for the popular ps3 homebrew ManaGunZ, but also late last month the developer made a huge update, that has added many new features to the popular Game Manager that always comes equipped with plenty of other features for your exploited PS3. Not only is this homebrew for CFW any longer, but since v1.36 ManaGunZ is now both compatible with PS3 Custom FirmWare and also PS3HEN, also zar did not stop there as there has been tons of new additions (seen in the changelogs provided below) and various fixes/optimizations have been brought forward as well in these recent updates that have emerged from developer @Zar. Checkout all the latest details below surrounding ManaGunZ for the PS3.Continue reading
IRISMAN + webMAN MOD - Updated with 4.85 CEX SupportDeveloper @aldostools recently updated two great projects of his with 4.85 firmware (cex) support. When the releases appeared over at brewology.com they were added to the 4.85 Update/CFW thread > here < but i wanted to get something up on the mainpage for the two apps as there are staples in the PS3 library of homebrew fame. For those whom may be new to PS3 homebrew, IRISMAN is a Game Manager (aka Backup Manager) that provides many features, While multiMAN / IRISMAN & ManaGunZ are all excellent Game Manager's they are all unique from each other, while all sharing the essentials. So no choice of the three is a bad one, but all 3 are different, IRISMAN is a fork from an earlier PS3 Homebrew Manager called IRIS Manager by Estwald & D_Skywalk but aldostools has taken the foundation of that project to new levels by adding a TON of functionality,.. Which bring us to Aldostools other project of webMAN MOD which is a fork of deank's original webMAN plugin. deank made a spectacular foundation and down right great plugin, but as the scene advanced developer aldostools stepped in with other devs and formed webMAN MOD fork and since that forked spawned developer aldostools has created one hell of a plugin with tons of functionality and great features. This plugin allow offers more features then all Sony Firmware updates combined and that is even close to being a discussion. These are to great projects to explore if you have not.Continue reading
Share This Page
- henkaku homebrew
- playstation 2
- playstation 2 resources
- playstation portable
- playstation portable cfw
- playstation portable resources
- playstation tv
- ps vita
- ps2 resources
- ps3 cfw
- ps3 han
- ps3 homebrew
- ps4 homebrew
- psp cfw
- psp resources
- pstv homebrew
- vita homebrew
- webman mod
- xmb mod
- User Record:
- Latest Member:
Boots to "APPS". Art can be 320x480 (exactly 1/2 screen). Theme for CoverArt lovers -UniqueUserName