RetroArch and compressed disc images to CHD

Discussion in 'PlayStation Classic (Mini-Console)' started by Berion, Jun 28, 2019.

1. 2,111
    Berion

Berion Developer

I heard that PlayStation images can be compressed to CHD like "MAME roms" or disc images for Dreamcast. I checked if chdman can compress and decompress without losing any data and my tests proofs it is ok. CHD compressing is long but it have a way faster decompression and better compression ratio than PBP on "stage 9". Perfect!

But it doesn't work for me... In example, I got output "Crash Team Racing (SCES-02105).chd" file so I created new playlist and put it:
    Code:
    /media/RetroParch/games/PSX/Crash Team Racing (SCES-02105).chd
    Crash Team Racing (SCES-02105)
    /media/bleemsync/opt/retroarch/.config/retroarch/cores/pcsx_rearmed_libretro.so
    PCSX ReARMed
    00000000|crc
    Sony PlayStation.lpl

RA seen the playlist but when I trying launch this game, I got error (I don't remember what exactly but suggesting the core cannot load it, instead of file not find). When I'm trying launch it by hand, using load content, it force me to use Dreamcast or SegaCD cores... When I use it as *.bin/*.cue (putting in playlist directly to BIN or CUE pointing to this *.bin, I was thinking that I could cheat this dump bastard :D) I getting the same error as before.

And which frustrating me, many peoples said it works for them. So how?

I'm using BleemSynch with RetroArch "addon".

2. 2,111
    Berion

Berion Developer

3. 961
    TnA

TnA Member

Well then... Just wait for it! ;)
    It might come, just as OTG-Support did.

4. 2,111
    Berion

Berion Developer

I don't have choice.

BTW: I bought this junk and it is a little disappointing. Mostly because almost all my pendrives doesn't work, I don't like any kind of HUBs, OTGs (it is hard to buy cheap OTG with powering capabilities on all lines) and HENs (with all the respect to PS3HEN crew ^^), on top of that, RetroArch PCSX ARM core doesn't load everything, and fronted have still many irritating bugs. So I'm waiting for some more invasive hacks (I would happy to experiment with GADATA but I'm afraid of perm brick and I hate when I waste ~14GiB for my better games). Anyway, I'm really patient guy and I believe we get soon (? ;p) terminal, ssh in background fully independent from Sony "userland", safe way to eradicate stock games and cherry on top CHD support in one of the emulators. Fingers crossed.

5. 5,702
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Have you checked KMFDManic's "Xtreme" cores? I don't have mine next to me but he has quiet a few cores not found elsewhere. Not sure if it's been ported yet but talks of it for sure.

And yeah CHD is only for MAME, Naomi, Naomi 2 & Atomiswave ATM.

6. 961
    TnA

TnA Member

Have you installed the BleemSync-Payload (and possibly the custom Kernel)? The BleemSync-Payload certainly made some more of my USB-Drives compatible.

Initially, a Y-cable helped me out, but the ports can also be power-modded!

OTG works very well! I am using a 1$-cable from China.
    I have a small powered USB-Hub connected to the OTG (thus it also powers the PSC), but I will get one of those USB-OTG with an additional Micro-USB-Connection later, to replace it.

Yes, it does not all run perfect, but we finally have something stable and secure and it's been worked on the errors and new features!

More invasive Hacks? Like adding BT, WiFi and GPS-Support for the SoC?! :D

Btw.: What 'Hack' are you using currently anyway? BleemSync, AutoBleem, Retroboot, etc. (there are more)?!

7. 2,111
    Berion

Berion Developer

@atreyu187 No, but thanks for info. I'll try.

@TnA BleemSync v1.1 + their RA "addon" (I installed manually messing the scipts to fit my needs ;]). Not custom kernel as I don't have yet any OTG (I need more than just Y, I need possibilities of connect 4 devices total so I need at least two additional ports). I heard that pendrive compatibility via OTG is 100% (and no, I don't want any hardmod). I choose BleemSynch only because it automatically making backup of all (except gadata) partitions.

TnA and atreyu187 like this.
  8. 961
    TnA

TnA Member

I have that combo on a second USB-Stick as well, but my preferred combo is:
    • Setting it up initially via BleemSync's Payload, which I update every new BleemSync-release. This gives me support for more filesystems (exFAT, NTFS, etc.), more storage-devices are compatible, I have an additional interface on the PSC accessible via PC and so on...
    • I also installed the custom Kernel, to have OTG-Support and I will update it, once there is an update. I hope for BT, WiFi and GPS-Support! Possibly full/complete USB3.0 support?
    • I usually use AutoBleem with Retroarch added.
    All these are connected to a 4port USB3.0-Hub with buttons, to activate and deactivate a port! It has a quite short cable, so it is perfect for the PSC!

See attached pictures! The Hub is powered and thus powers the PSC, but the OTG-Cable is not ideal, as you can see (which is, why I will get another one).

Well... I am using a powered USB-Hub with 4 ports and a short cable and I plugged a long USB-power-cord into it, so it powers my PSC via 1-port-OTG! :D

I can tell you right now and for a 100%, that THIS IS NOT TRUE!

The others don't need it, because they don't change anything internally! ;)

Damn... Intended to make some pictures, camera-app freezes...

...and it seems I just bricked by PSC! o_O

Edit: Nope... Still works! Picture attached! :)

15620057420755698332438694979397.jpg

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  9. 5,702
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    I have the BleemSync payload installed just because ExFAT and NTFS tend to not corrupt like happens during a brownout via FAT32. And it's needed to replace the crappy PAL variants of games. Only one I left was GTA2 as the NTSCU variant is censored. Sure you can have the emu handle the conversion but with am already underpowered system I want as many resources as I can where it matters.

And yeah the other apps don't need it as it's only the pendrive with vital info just signed with the keys Sony left for everyone to find. I used to use BleemSync for DraStic but I stick with AutoBleem now by modifying the boot.sh to add support for DraStic since it's a stand alone emulator not launched from the boot menu.

Oh and you can add OTG support without BleemSync. We have had OTG for months before BleemSync came out. Twas a little dangerous to do so as you could brick your system but anyone with common sense could do this. It's how I have OTG support as my BleemSync payload is the one prior to OTG support added. I just like the FTP/telenet & ExFAT support. And the "hardmod" can be done easily via a conductive pen so it's easily removed.

TnA likes this.
  10. 961
    TnA

TnA Member

True... + web-interface via USB + generally higher USB-device-compatibility (especially storage), FTP and some more things...

Huh?!

The system is not as bad/weak as you make it seem to be! ;)
    The SoC is a 64Bit 4-core-setup @1.5GHz, which can be overclocked and it seems that all current Software is 32Bit...

We are not even faintly use the full potential of the Hardware.
    The PSC is the perfect Mini-Hardware (like a a RasPi) for emulation and as a mini-Multimediaplayer... Expect VLC or MPlayer for it with support for the hardware-based decoding.

Yes... They were again 'under the doormat'... (I really hope some people - like those who understand what I am referring to [@sp193, @krHACKen, etc.] - are reading this.)!

Indeed! DraStic itself is not bound to the boot-method... I bought it (DraStic) in 2012 or 2013 or so... @Exophase is a very kind and nice guy and ever has an 'Open ear' to feature-suggestions! :)

Yeah, I know! But now it is made easy for noobs/everyone and quite safe! :)

I'm still hoping for WiFi, GPS, BT-Support for the stuff on/in the SoC!

Oh! I also edited my previous post, added some more informations and attached the picture!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  11. 2,111
    Berion

Berion Developer

It isn't? I didn't try yet any NDS game but I have RetroArch core named Drastic v0.1 (*.so) with *.info for been recognized by RA. I don't see how this could be standalone application.

Yep, this SoC is totally ok, but the Linux config sucks (not Linux itself of course but this distro).

I installed the payload of course so I have exFAT etc. support but because of lazy I'm still on FAT32. ;p Currently I experimenting with launchers in boot menu. I trying invoke terminal shell and add new apps.

12. 961
    TnA

TnA Member

Afaik it is a core, but it should be possible to start every core or even game selectively, via scripts.

Btw.: Berion-Boot or BerionBleem, here we come??! :D

13. 2,111
    Berion

Berion Developer

Definitely not. ;) I'm modifying RA for my very personal needs which will be useless and irritating for others (i.e I don't like databases/playlists/thumbnails convention names like i.e stupid "Nintendo - Nintendo 64" so changed it for "Nintendo 64" which broke every existed playlists etc.).

TnA likes this.