RGB SCART and the PS2

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by irkyu, Jan 27, 2019.

1. 12
    irkyu

irkyu Forum Noob

Hi,
    I live in the UK and own a pretty decent IMO (older, circa 2008) LCD TV, which has two SCART inputs, one component, one VGA and two HDMI inputs.

I'm pretty sure the component output has broken on the back since I plugged in some component cables (cheap ones) and they wouldn't work with either the PS2/PS3 while they worked fine before - tried another set and they also didn't work! So, I'm either gonna settle for composite (which looks not too horrible given I play in PAL mode, but still quite terrible regardless) or use RGB SCART.

So, were any official PS2 RGB SCARTs produced? I'm aware there are ones for the PS1 which cost about £60-£120, dunno about PS2 but I don't want to spend on what I think's a bargain and it turns out to be a composite wired SCART. I'd rather settle for the PS2 one as IIRC they have a slightly different setup, but are there any recommended brands or official cables about?

I'd rather not spend £25 on a cable, just to say, if I have to I will though... I'm not fussed about DVD playback (I have a PS3 hooked up via HDMI for DVD playback), and while I don't fully care about picture quality that is equal to HD or whatnot I am definitely looking for an improvement over composite - and not a scam/waste of time either.

Thanks.

2. 1,665
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

I'm only 100% sure that there were official $ony Component, S-Video, Composite (that comes with console) for PS2.

I'm not sure about SCART for PS2?!

If you like I can send (if I find) via PM some links for decent PS2 SCART cables for PS2.

3. 73
    mndx

mndx Member

4. 3,133
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Have you tried looking on CEX.... if you don't have one local they do deliver, though its £2.50 per item. This is possibly the best place in the UK for all kinds of gaming stuff. Other than Independent traders but CEX seems to be beating all competition, Grainger Games was shut down 1 year ago because they couldn't keep up with them.

While the Official stuff is always the best for being guaranteed to work, some times people will take advantage of that and sell original parts at stupid prices. There are some good non official makers of things for the PS2 to look out for " GioTek " products for the PS2 were quite. " Mad Catz " stuff was hit and miss with the things they made.

Here's the official PS2 RGB SCART Cable: £15 ( CEX )

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail...g&title=playstation2-official-rgb-scart-cable

There's a value ([email protected]) SCART cable: £6 ( CEX )

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail...perCatName=gaming&title=value-ps2-scart-cable

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    irkyu likes this.
  5. 12
    irkyu

irkyu Forum Noob

Ah, so they did do a official cable. And the two reviews that are there say it's different to the composite cable, so I'll have a look at that once I have enough money (currently thinking of investing in a RPi).

Thanks!

6. 3,133
    Cypher_CG89

Your welcome,

Most PS2s ( Original PHATs especially ) came with the composite cable with a SCART adaptor, though it wasn't a proper RGB adapter as it has missing confection PINs it just allowed the Composite connection through the SCART of your TV, just like PS3's, the cable is exactly the same one, then they brought out the proper SCART cable after the launch of the PS2, a rip off if you ask me.

Or there is this off Amazon for the original Composite connection, Composite to SCART converter block:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scart-Adap...8613371&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=RGB+SCART+Block

7. 1,665
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Are you sure that this is an official PS2 RGB SCART cable?
    I mean made by $ony?
    I do not see any Sony font & logo on it.

Other cables seems to have it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Even official PS1 SCART cable seems to have it:
    [​IMG]

sandungas likes this.
  8. 3,133
    Cypher_CG89

T
    CEX is the biggest company in the UK that supplies stuff like this for all aspects of gaming and entertainment, From Retro, Collectables, PC Parts ect, they have hundreds of shops nationwide, I have close 3 near where I live. Some times its just a generic picture of what the product is as they have thousand of things, some of them are in store and some are online. From brand new to used products.

They do not lie about what they are selling and what each product is just because you cannot see the logo on it. That cable is the first one [email protected] made for the PS2, and was used as standard on some PS2's in the box after Customers complained about the Composite connection.

The UK has very Strict Trading Standards Laws when it comes to this.

If it says its the Official one then it is. @Coldheart2236 back me up on this one.

9. 1,511
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

In terms of electronics, the UK adheres to British Standards as well as EU regulations (at the moment) so unlike say, Chinese imported things which aren't even earthed often, the 220-240V power adapter will be as safe as it conforms to stringent quality standards. If it's an official Sony adapter, then it's guaranteed to be safe and reliable.

10. 1,665
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

11. 3,133
    Cypher_CG89

Was more on about CEX giving false info on there site just because you cannot see the PS logo on the pic lol, but also very true as CEX test everything they get and will not accept it if it fails there test because of the standards.

Some serious fines can issued for non compliance to these laws, all someone would have to do is report them to Trading Standards, give them the product and the receipt of where it was purchased and that company is screwed for 1. providing false info an the product and 2. for selling an unsafe consumer product.

12. 3,133
    Cypher_CG89

Again they have thousands of products and use generic pictures for advertising online, if its advertised as the " Official one " the one you receive will be the " official one " or you could walk into a CEX shop, see the product and then buy it. They do not individually photo every product they have as they are such a big company.

There really isn't any point in you trying to pick faults just over pics posted for advertising, purposes and spamming the OP's thread with crap you have no clue about unless you live in the UK. I use these shops all the time for HDDs, PS3's to jailbreak, Games, Blurays, DVD's because IT IS WHAT THEY SAY IT IS. The UK is not like other countries that turn a blind eye to dodgy trading.

13. 1,665
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Tupakaveli likes this.
  14. 3,133
    Cypher_CG89

Also on the site if you look properly it says " PICTURES SHOWN MAY DIFFER FORM THE ACTUAL PRODUCT, THIS IS USED FOR ADVERTISING PURPOSES ".

The SCART cable came with special edition PS2 bundles. A family member got it with his years ago. Again you are showing a Composite "AV" cable NOT the SCART RGB cable they are totally different.

Composite AV will not let you play import games in colour, SCART RGB will. I have been around the games industry all my life, not talking about what most people see on the retail side but the dev side of things as well, I know what I am talking about.

15. 1,665
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Yes it's in Online Terms and Conditions:
    "Images are for illustration only. Actual item design may vary slightly from image."
    https://in.webuy.com/site/terms/.

Not under the picture, so I have miss it.

I didn't know that, I was also looking for official SCART cable long ago and I couldn't find it.
    There was no info about in PS2 Accesories list:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_accessories.

Even VGA cable has its ID (SCPH-10320) that comes with Linux kit.
    Also other cables have its ID.
    Composite (SCPH-10500).
    S-Video (SCPH-10060U/97030).
    Component AV Cable (SCPH-10490).
    PS1 SCART Cable (SCPH-1052).

I really search a bit to find it.

OP ask if official PS2 RGB SCARTs was ever produced.

If your're saying: "The SCART cable came with special edition PS2 bundles".
    I'm fine with that.
    Could you at lest remember what special edition PS2 bundles was it?

I know what I'm showing, it was just an example.

16. 3,133
    Cypher_CG89

It should also be on the same page as the product using a generic image, HDDs for example did have it under the product. Unless they have moved it.

[email protected] are sneaky, they probably never had done this if fans didn't complain so much about not having a SCART cable as it come with the AV adapter block, but that block is not a proper SCART connection it just allows Composite AV connection through the SCART on your TV as not all TVs have the Composite AV connection, SCART was much more common.

Proper RCA Composite AV to SCART Adapter:

[​IMG]

The crap you get with the PS2 and the PS3 allowing RCA Composite AV connection through SCART:
    Couldn't find any of mine, as they are crap, but the connection pins are the same as this......

17. 763
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

I tried a lot of them (for both Ps2 and Xbox of which I've the original one too). The Ps2 has never been selled with a scart rgb cable, same the Psx/1 (at least here in europe. However there was a official ps1 scart-rgb cable, it was listed on the playstation box).

They have all the same quality (and work with either Ps1/2/3). Just buy the cheaper one: https://www.ebay.it/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=playstation+scart+rgb&_sacat=0

Since you're playing with LCD tv, you dont' even need to buy one with the composite external inputs. Unless you have a way to make the light-gun to work with your lcd. In this case buy one like this: https://www.ebay.it/itm/RGB-SCART-C...=item3607b24960:g:vKYAAOSwqfNXj4GZ:rk:43:pf:0

...or add a few euro and take it with a spare Ps2 :D https://www.ebay.it/itm/Ps2-Playsta...h=item48bec5165f:g:ryEAAOSwxoJcRhRl:rk:9:pf:0

18. 12
    irkyu

irkyu Forum Noob

I won't need to use a light gun, but thanks! Also the discussion here is pretty interesting (but confusing).

So will SCPH-1052 (EURO AV) work? And @Peppe90 is that definitely RGB (and ship to the UK)?

I'm pretty sure CeX would only show generic items in images, and advertise the actual product elsewise as expected, they're a pretty known seller so they'd get screwed if they were doing dodgy shenanigans.

19. 3,133
    Cypher_CG89

Should would work as well, its a generic copy of the official one, it not free delivery. comes to E16.90 with shipping, so convert that in to £ and any currency tax on that, if any. They all should work.

Yes CeX would get screwed over for false advertising. Have you used the online stock checker to see if one is on your local Cex store? then you could go get it instead of waiting for it to be imported from some place you never heard of lol.

20. 12
    irkyu

irkyu Forum Noob

Well whoops, I'm going to chance it with a generic RGB SCART on eBay that apparently has pretty good reviews (and one of the reviews states "good quality for a chinese product" which makes me optimistic).

Maybe I'll check for a proper cable when I get the money I need for instance, as I may have mentioned I'm saving for something else right now so can't spend too much...