PS3 Right USB port and HUB questions

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Windows10User, Oct 10, 2019 at 10:02 AM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 328
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Do we always need to connect the USB drives to the PS3 Slim's right USB port or just when installing CFW for the first time (PS3Xploit)? Can't we connect them to the PS3 Slim's left USB port some times?

Also, I've read using a HUB might screw up the PS3's USB ports. Is it true? If so, how would I be able to play when charging the controller and using the HUB to connect an external HDD, PlayStation Eye and PlayStation Move Motion and PlayStation Move Navigation Controllers (maybe not all at the same time because the HUB wouldn't support all them)? I don't have a HUB nor PlayStation Eye and PlayStation Move Motion and PlayStation Move Navigation Controllers. Anyway, which HUB should I buy (what about this one?) and does it matter the devices I connect to it and to the remaining USB port, i.e., could they became messed up faster, can I have lag, etc., regarding the used USB port or if an HUB was used (or both)? If I can have problems using an HUB then imagine using two to be able to use a lot of devices.

EDIT: I just remembered I tried one of those PlayStation Move only games and it stated my camera wasn't detected even though I connected my EyeToy camera. I thought the PS3 supported the EyeToy camera. Also, I just noticed the set-top box can charge the controller. Lol Can it damage it? I can't use the controller when it's connected to it nor can I know when it was fully charged but at least it's charging when the PS3 is turned off. Maybe it can be charged by the PC without damaging it. I was thinking on leaving it connected to the set-top box before sleeping but I'm afraid it can damage it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 1:25 PM
  2. 6,898
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Right hand side port is required only in very specific circumstances. It is WAY WAY over used and lots of people incorrectly assume you need to use the the right hand port for everything from updating FW to installing pkgs.

You only really need to use dev_usb000 if you are:
    • Using a web exploit to inject a file/hex and you have selected "dev_usb000" or it says to use usb000.
    • If you are loading a lv2_diag.self or using a factory service mode dongle
    • If an application or XMB mod specifically asks you to use dev_usb000 for some reason, like the system back up feature in HEN Toolbox for example.
    • Maybe some other rarely used DEX related stuff
    And do you have the PS3 HD eyetoy camera or the older PS2 eyetoy camera?

I don't know much about hubs.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 12:42 PM
    Windows10User likes this.
  3. 328
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

What would happen if I used the PS3 Slim's left USB port in those cases? Would I have error messages? I'm just curious.

PS2 EyeToy camera. I didn't even knew there was a PS3 one.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 1:51 PM
  4. 6,898
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    It just wouldnt work, in those cases they are looking for files on usb000 or trying to dump to usb000, if its is not there is just wont work , just like if you had no usb drive in there.

You better read the rules here.

5. 328
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

What about the PS2 EyeToy camera not working?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 2:12 PM
  6. 2,651
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    PS2 devices will only work on BC Phat PS3's. Other PS3's do not support them.

I remember this thread and it was closed for " Piracy " ... you might want to read the rules again as you have asked the same question again....

No games/dlc you own legally and have ripped/bought from PSN require any kind of fix on any current CFW or HEN.

7. 328
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

IIRC, I didn't make that question and the thread was closed when we were talking about burning PS3 games to disc.

I wasn't talking about those ones.

8. 1,581
    pink1

pink1 Moderator Developer

We do not help with pirated content if you just have to download your games from a piracy site that is where you need to go ask your questions about how to use them.
    If you have any questions that aren’t against the rules we’ll be happy to help.

Cypher_CG89 and Kier_1234657 like this.
  9. 328
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

What about the following questions?

1. After setting RetroArch's Aspect Ratio setting to "Custom" for each one of the cores I use and save RetroArch's configuration I have to set it again in some cores' case again because the Aspect Ratio setting is blank so I'll have a black screen in these cases if I don't set the Aspect Ratio to "Custom" (or other setting), which is annoying. Is this normal?

2. Should I use webMAN MOD's R2 + Triangle button combo and not the L3 + R3 + R2 button combo one afterwards (to unload webMAN MOD) before accessing PSN to prevent a ban or just to be sure I should do the latter too (L3 + R3 + R2 button combo) since I can still access webMAN MOD's settings? Just a curiosity, what will happen if I try to access PSN when its access is locked? Will I have any error message? Should I select PS3 DISC and/or set CCAPI . PS3MAPI to enabled on webMAN MOD's DEL CFW SYSCALLS? Also, do I have to use an Anti ban EBOOT for some games when going online even if I use webMAN MOD's R2 + Triangle button combo (and maybe the L3 + R3 + R2 button combo) afterwards? I removed PSN Patch's webMAN plugin and the L3 + R3 + R2 button combo didn't work but after installing it it's now working (I think I had to install it in the first place because webMAN MOD didn't). Also, doing the L3 + R3 + R2 button combo before doing the R2 + Triangle button doesn't work.

3. Why do all PKG files on my external HDD's root show up duplicated on Package Manager's Package? I don't have this problem when the PKG files are inside the internal HDD's package folder. I'm not sure but I think this problem started after installing PKG Linker and after removing it as well as HAN ToolBox I still have this problem (maybe it was caused by HAN ToolBox).

4. I can't access the PS3's external HDD's NTFS partition on multiMAN's/mmCM's "File Manager / mmOS" as well as in FileZilla Client while on multiMAN/mmCM but I can access the PS3's external HDD's FAT32 one in FileZilla while on multiMAN/mmCM as well as the NTFS partition in FileZilla Client on webMAN MOD. Is it ok?

5. How can I preserve the PSN trophies after swapping the internal HDD? Also, I've not been connected to my PSN account since I installed CFW and the trophies I get playing PS3 games don't join the ones I got from bought games when I was on OFW and connected to my PSN account. Is it because I wasn't connected to my PSN account so should I be and sync the PSN trophies in order for them to join the ones I got from bought games when I was on OFW and connected to my PSN account? It seems the PSN trophies I get after installing CFW are placed on the XMB's Trophy Collection's Offline section and not on the Online one where the ones I got from bought games when I was on OFW and connected to my PSN account are. Also, the same PSN trophies (which I got for the first time after installing CFW) are popping out like if I got them for the first time when playing a game (while being disconnected from my PSN account). This occurs many times.

6. What is the "PKG" folder on /dev\_hdd0/ for and do I need to create a "GAMEZ folder on my PS3's HDD like I've read to place the JB games or can I keep using the GAMES folder for that?

7. I guess I won't be able to play PSP games after mounting them via webMAN MOD and doing its R2 + Triangle button combo because the latter will disable the PSP Launchers (the same thing will happen if I pretend to use RetroArch, I think). I suppose I can be banned if I play these games (and maybe ROMs via RetroArch) if connected to my PSN account. What should I do to play PSP games and use RetroArch after doing webMAN MOD's R2 + Triangle button combo?

8. If I don't use Universal Media Server together with Movian I can't stream a video from the PC to the PS3 unlike before when I only needed the former and to set the PS3's IP address, the Subnet mask, the Primary DNS and the Second DNS to match the PC's (I still need to do this last step even after using Movian together with Universal Media Server). Also, do you think if I can get this to work using only Movian the 1080p MKV videos (or other videos) will still crash like when I successfully only used Universal Media Server before? And what if I keep using Universal Media Server together with Movian?

9. Can I have FMV/Audio/Framerate problems on NTSC PS1 games on my PAL PS3 using webMAN MOD? If so, should I only download PAL PS1 games?

10. How can I have my bought DLC's pkg files?

11. No matter what I do I can't remove SingStar from XMB. I already followed this tutorial and it didn't work since after restarting the PS3 it always comes back.

12. I've read using a HUB might screw up the PS3's USB ports. Is it true? If so, how would I be able to play when charging the controller and using the HUB to connect an external HDD, PlayStation Eye and PlayStation Move Motion and PlayStation Move Navigation Controllers (maybe not all at the same time because the HUB wouldn't support all them)? I don't have a HUB nor PlayStation Eye and PlayStation Move Motion and PlayStation Move Navigation Controllers. Anyway, which HUB should I buy (what about this one?) and does it matter the devices I connect to it and to the remaining USB port, i.e., could they became messed up faster, can I have lag, etc., regarding the used USB port or if an HUB was used (or both)? If I can have problems using an HUB then imagine using two to be able to use a lot of devices.

13. My external HDD is doing some noise when connected to the PS3 and it's annoying. Can this cause any problem, especially when playing games (like lag, slowdowns, etc.)? Maybe it started after I used it on my PS3 since I was using it on my PC and I think it didn't make this noise.

10. 1,238
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

@Windows10User Editing your posts to make yourself appear innocent will not help you, since we can see every edit made to every post.
    How do you explain this, if you haven't discussed piracy? Or the following?
    As already mentioned, no legitimately owned backup needs a fix, so again you are certainly alluding to pirated downloads.

Your previous thread was locked by me because it was going nowhere. You were repeating the same questions in a slightly different way without showing any acknowledgement for the numerous replies that were already given to you.

I strongly suggest you read the Site/Forum Rules & Guidelines before posting in future, as you really need to familiarise yourself with them if you want to keep your posting privileges.

In this thread you've not only sought piracy advice (and tried to hide it by editing after being called out) but you've also completely derailed it with another litany of questions totally unrelated to one another. Thread locked for violating site rules.

jcorrea, Algol, Cypher_CG89 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.