PS3 Right USB Port not working (SuperSlim) [Solved, kind of]

Discussion in 'Hardware Mods' started by blckbear_, Jan 20, 2019.

1. 6,088
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Good you are mentioning this because i have doubts about where is connected that 5v line :)
    It should, otherway i guess you should not have voltage in the VOUT's of the dual transistor :)
    In one of the photos it seems that there are 4 lines that goes in paralell to some other place (EN1, EN2, FLG1, FLG2)... this doesnt matches with what i was saying about using a single line from syscon to control both pins EN1 and EN2 of the dual transistor together
    But dunno, maybe at some point both lines EN1 and EN2 joins together

Btw, im calling it simply a transistor to simplify it, but it does some more functions, i cant imagine what is the purpose of that FLG1 and FLG2 pins (i confess i didnt read the datasheet yet sorry, lol)

2. 201
    blckbear_

blckbear_ Member

Electrical engineering student
    From what I've read, the flags (FLG1 and FLG2) are for overcurrent protection, but honestly I don't know how they check that.

Edit: FLG1 and FLG2 output the overcurrent and overheat status. So I guess that when they output certain voltage, the chip cuts the current flowing, thus disabling the power on the USB ports.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Chechu18 likes this.
  3. 6,088
    sandungas

Hmm, im not sure if what im going to say is right, but i think the firmware have a warning message for that, is something like... "you connected a very demanding USB device, please disconnect it"

Not sure thought, never happened to me but i think i did read about it somewhere in a forum

Edit:
    So... maybe the FLG1 and FLG2 are "outputs" of the dual transistor ?
    The dual transistor sends the flags to syscon (a control signal using the 3.3v)... and syscon sends the info to the firmware (with syscalls or whatever)... and the firmware displays the warning message
    In that case the pins FLG1 and FLG2 doesnt have much importance, in the practise if you cut that lines the only thing you are doing is to disable the warning message

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  4. 6,088
    sandungas

Found it https://community.eu.playstation.co...be-supplied-to-usb-devices/m-p/13341133#M1944
    Also, im trying to remember where i did read bout this before and im thinking it was @pinky ?

blckbear_ likes this.
  5. 201
    blckbear_

blckbear_ Member

From what I've read, that seems to be the case, but those outputs are "active low" outputs, so if I'm not mistaken, those outputs signal the "on/off" state when they are 0V. So this would mean that if you read a voltage higher than 0V on those pins then it's ok, but if you read 0V then that means that it's signaling to Syscon that there's an overcurrent warning.
    This is all speculation though, so this will need more testing to get to a conclusion.

6. 12,250
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

7. 6,088
    sandungas

I guess you are right, they could be sending that info to syscon in 2 different ways
    By having the lines FLG1 and FLG2 low and send the signal only when needed... this way the signal can be seen like an "alarm"
    The other way is to have the lines high and make them low when needed... this way the lines are telling "everything is working fine" most of the time. And if at some point the line is interrupted it means either the overcurrent protection was enabled or/and the component went damaged

The second seems to be better because is more paranoid, is like "monitoring" the lines in real time :D
    But you didnt mentioned this wanrning message so not sure

Ok, i was not sure who said it :)
    I remember it because it made me brainstorm a bit, the point is... how is posible for the software to know when a voltage protection in the USB has been enabled ?
    That day when you mentioned it i had no idea (it looks something imposible to achieve)... but now im pretty sure is made with that 2 lines :)

Actually... this feature of the PS3 is very interesting... as far i can imagine right now is the only way to communicate in a "custom" way from hardware to the firmware

What i been thinking is we could "cut" that lines and repurpose them to solder a couple of wires to a couple of push buttons
    And use cobra to "hook" in the syscalls that makes that warning screen to appear

This way we could enable/disable software features (stuff from cobra, or plugins, or dunno) by pressing a button XD
    At this point i cant imagine any worthy hack with this, but eventually could come in handy for some frankenmodding

8. 12,250
    pinky

not much was lost. the hdd was a 360 one (120GBs). :) after having lost a 360, ps3, and wii hdd, I'm only going to use one hdd or possibly only the internal hdd if possible. that's how I have my ps3 despite making a backup of the original, internal hdd and a backup of one external hdd.

9. 201
    blckbear_

blckbear_ Member

Attached Files:

10. 12,250
    pinky

that's not good. my hdd died instantly when that message appeared.

11. 201
    blckbear_

blckbear_ Member

It happened when connecting a controller, but it's the previously broken USB so it's not that weird I guess. Later I'll take a look at it.

12. 12,250
    pinky

just a controller?

13. 6,088
    sandungas

Thx, the text is located inside system_plugin.rco and is named msg_error_usb_overpower
    Code:
    <Text name="msg_error_usb_overpower">The maximum amount of power that can be supplied to USB devices has been reached.
    Remove at least one device.</Text>

14. 201
    blckbear_

blckbear_ Member

Yup, just a normal DS3 controller, but as I said, it was the USB with power delivery issues. I'll update when I find the issue

15. 6,088
    sandungas

The fact it happened just with a DS3 controller is a proof that whatever is the failure.... is about to stop working completly

Most probably is that dual transistor you bridged time ago... and the reason why is in this state is not because the bridge
    The transistor is dual... and half of it was burned before the bridge

*Edit:
    I mean... when we was talking about it we considered half of the transistor was working at 0% (burned) and the other half was working at 100% (perfect). But most probably was 0% and 70%
    And now is 0% and 50%

16. 201
    blckbear_

blckbear_ Member

I have another theory, I think that the burnt half, specially the FLG part is working (or failing in this case) and it's giving wrong readings, as both USBs share the same power line, but one is working and the other one not.

17. 6,088
    sandungas

Btw, if you are going to take a look at it check if the pins FLG1 and FLG2 are connected together (i think they are)

This is important because incase are separated... then it means syscon have 2 pins dedicated to detect power problems in USB port 1, and 2 separatedly
    And... this would allow them to have 2 different warning messages (indicating if the USB with problems is 1 or 2)
    ...but there is only 1 warning message... so i guess FLG1 and FLG2 are connected together... and syscon only have 1 pin dedicated to this

----------
    Initially my theory is there is something inestable... and it could be the dual transistor just because it had problems before
    Lets say... im not risking much in my diagnostic but is a good first step to try to find the problem... replace it and see what happens

Maybe the other half of the transistor (burned since few months ago) was doing the same until it stopped working

18. 201
    blckbear_

blckbear_ Member

I don't think they are connected together as both USB ports share the same power line but only one gives that message. Im thinking that bridging both 5V outputs sent voltage from the good one into the bad one doing something in there or maybe the "dead" half just decided to start working not as intended and started sending wrong information to syscon. Idk really, so I guess I'll figure it out later.

19. 201
    blckbear_

blckbear_ Member

So the day has come, now both ports are dead, you were right hahahaha
    And after giving it more thought and looking at this chips diagram and connections I don't think there's an easy way to bypass this chip, as it is has active low FLG pins, if the chip is removed the syscon will think that the FLG pins are active signaling overcurrent. I guess my only solution now is to find a replacement. (Kind of difficult where I live as there are some shitty import laws and a limited amount of imports per year). If i ever get to replace the IC I'll update with my results (and maybe other findings).

sandungas likes this.
  20. 201
    blckbear_

blckbear_ Member

sandungas likes this.