Rips working as folder but not as ISO

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreak CFW and PS3HEN' started by Spawn, Sep 21, 2019.

1. 572
    Spawn

Spawn Member

So I ripped my AC Brotherhood BLUS30537 today. It runs in folder format (JB) but when converted to ISO (regardless of method) it just gives me a black screen.

It's not that big of deal TBH, but the OCD side of me, wants all games in ISO format and now I have 1 that doesn't work. :-p

Any ideas as to how to fix this issue?

2. 1,238
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

What method(s) have you used to convert the folder format game to ISO? A program like ImgBurn won't work as the ISO needs to be encrypted properly in order for it to be bootable on the PS3.

I have the European disc version of AC: Brotherhood [BLES00909] and my backup ISO works fine. I used PS3 ISO Tools with the makeps3iso option and it works flawlessly, so I'd recommend using that if you haven't tried it already. :)

3. 2,174
    Berion

Berion Developer

No, *.iso doesn't need to be encrypted. And maybe even cannot be as for sure all multiMAN, ManaGunz and old WebMAN Mod do not mount it. ;) However, "PS3ISO" must contain magic number and sector range which "normal tools" doesn't add.

Coldheart2236 likes this.
  4. 1,238
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

@Berion My apologies for the inaccurate info. I knew something was done to the ISO but I wasn't sure exactly what lol

Berion likes this.
  5. 572
    Spawn

Spawn Member

I tried Irisman, ps3isotools with both makeps3iso and genps3iso.

6. 2,174
    Berion

Berion Developer

Making disc image by all of tools which You mentioned is ok, and game should works. ;)

Anyway, what comes to my mind, there are some games which will not work in "JB format" if user not create empty folder in specific place with specific name (for unknown reason, game developers implement such check in few cases). Maybe You forgot about that now, and game will not work from disc if this folder exist? Just blind shoot.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  7. 572
    Spawn

Spawn Member

Well, I know for a fact that to run AC Brotherhood from JB format, I need the folder in PS#_GAME/USRDIR/ASSASSIN_ISO.

This I created as a last resort, when ISO format failed.

8. 5,738
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

What im going to say should generate an ISO exactly like if you do a backup with irisman from the original optical disc
    Anyway... try this:
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/ps3-best-program-to-convert-to-iso.21947/#post-151066

You need to use the program "iso tools" from rudi rastelli, but before that you need to update the makeps3iso.exe inside it
    That updated version of makeps3iso.exe fixed a problem that happens in a few problematic games... this game could be one of them

*The assasins creeds needs that "custom" folder named ASSASSIN_ISO, but im not sure if is needed if you convert the game to ISO, probably not, but i guess you need to do 2 ISO's with it, one without the foler and another with it

Spawn likes this.
  9. 572
    Spawn

Spawn Member

So I tried @sandungas way as well. In total I've made 7 rips and converted to iso, with and without the ASSASSIN_ISO folder in PS3_GAME/USRDIR/.

I even checked my disc for microscopic scratches, but it's in mint condition as all of my games.

It seems that this is that 1 game that just won't work for me in iso format. At least I now have makeps3iso updated.

Anyways, Thanks for all your help and information.

10. 2,174
    Berion

Berion Developer

@Spawn Could try dump original disc but encrypted (on PC or just on PS3 with DDA turn on in MultiMAN) and use it instead (I heared that newest WebMAN MOD support encrypted discs if You provide also disc key @aldostools )? Maybe this game is "LBA secured" as in good old PS2 times? ;p This would be a great explanation why ASSASSINS_ISO dir is needed in "jb format" as kind of designed override.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Spawn likes this.
  11. 5,738
    sandungas

Dont throw the towell, im sure that game is going to work in ISO format, but at this point most probably what is happening is the disc have some defect

The best thing you can do to verify this is to download the IRD of the game from this database:
    http://jonnysp.bplaced.net/

The IRD check is going to tell you if all the files are indentical to the original... incase you have one or more files returning an error in the check... you know... is that file

--------------
    Btw, and remember...
    When you are into this kind of problems with a PS3 game... where you are becoming crazy trying to find the problem...
    The first thing you need to do is to delete the files generated or loaded by the game:
    -gamedata installation
    -savedata/s
    -trophies

The gamedata and savedatas are needed to be deleted before every test... you can use the official functions in XMB
    The trophies usually are not needed... but you know... this are desperate meassures

The point is by deleting all this you are 100% confident that the game is going to make a "fresh boot" the next time you try to boot it without loading any kind of files externally of the ISO image
    That files could be potentially corrupted or damaged by the previous crashes

----------
    Ohhh... and another desperate meassure
    Most games generates files inside dev_hdd1... is a hdd partition of size 2gb used as "cache"
    Rebooting the PS3, disconnecting the power cord doesnt emptyes dev_hdd1
    Only is emptyed when a different game request space in it, or when the same game request to update the files in it
    It can happen that the files in cache gets corrupted... so...
    You can enter ManaGunz filemanager and delete the contents of dev_hdd1

Another simple way to cleanup dev_hdd1 is by booting a different game
    The new game request space in dev_hdd1, this deletes the files from the problematic game ;)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    MrMario2011 and Spawn like this.
  12. 572
    Spawn

Spawn Member

I'll check it out tonight.

I use IRD check as a standard procedure when ripping games, to ensure they are 100% perfect copies. But I'll try to get a copy of the BLES disc to try out, as I've found info stating that that one works.

13. 5,738
    sandungas

Read again my post, i was editing it to add more tips ;)

Im not going to bet on it... but i think that game should work perfect in ISO format... otherway i would be aware about it

Spawn likes this.
  14. 572
    Spawn

Spawn Member

I use IRD files to check all my rips. I get them from jonnysp.

Will try the dev_hdd1 step tonight. Got a BLES disc on the way home so I'll try that one as well when it arrives.

15. 5,738
    sandungas

But the region could not be the culprit, BLES and BLUS should work in ISO format

Just to clarify something... what i said about the IRD is meant to verify the MD5 hash of the game files
    When you run a IRD check the program shows a log where you can see if the files matches the MD5 of the IRD
    After the IRD check lot of programs allows you to create an encrypted ISO (based on the info in the IRD)... but this is not what i mean, we dont need to encrypt the ISOs for CFW or HEN

So... the only reason why im using IRD files (since the first time the IRD format was published), is to check the MD5 of the files individually

I run the check... then i take a look at the log to see if there are errors (and incase of errors which file is the culprit)... and i close the program, because i dont want to create an encrypted ISO :)

*Incase you game disc have an scratch or some defect in the surface.... the IRD check is going to show that 1 of the files is damaged :)
    So... you just need to replace that file... the other files you backuped are fine, they passed the MD5 check

Spawn, Algol and Coldheart2236 like this.
  16. 572
    Spawn

Spawn Member

Yes, I understood what you meant.

I think I was not clear on my part. I check my files with IRD, I do not create iso with it. Although I actually have tried that at one point.

Region shouldn't have an impact, I know.

I've had issues making rips from brand new discs as well, and after rma a new disc worked. Sadly I couldn't find a new BLUS copy at short notice (I live in sweden), hence why I ordered a BLES.