PS5 [Rumours] PS5 Specs

Discussion in 'General PS5 Discussion' started by sandungas, Aug 20, 2019.

1. 6,680
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

I use to read tech news almost dailly in new webs, and eventually i find stuff related with console world and i use to wonder if posting them here... so... today i got an idea

This is a thread dedicated to post stuff related with the PS5 specifications, eventually when the PS5 is released we can close the thread or forget about it, but in the meantime post whatever you want here, everything is allowed... if someone have a photo os a PS5 in topless in a beach in ibiza please post it

And remember to post the "source" link so we can visit the other webs to read about it

Tidjane Ly, ramzidz15, jolek and 2 others like this.
  2. 6,680
    sandungas

3. 16
    besantesteras

besantesteras Forum Noob

There's got a lot of old ruomors, but this game journalist working a few couple months ago only on spec., release date, price and difference between upcoming next gen consoles. This is a newest video with some confirmed spec...

And, of course this guy also know so much about PS5 but doesn't open to much, just service a little informations, spoon by spoon:
    Check out Geoff Keighley (@geoffkeighley): https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley?s=09

And for the last and worst news which is not new as previous, but many gamers journalists and analitics predict that the price of next gen console will be higher than we expected:

https://www.ccn.com/gaming-analyst-paints-wild-800-price-tag-on-sonys-playstation-5/

Послато са SM-N960F помоћу Тапатока

sandungas likes this.
  4. 6,680
    sandungas

Well, i agree is going to be over 400$ for sure (and maybe 100$ or 200$ more), there are 2 components that are going to hit the manufacturing costs hard

There are rumours (or more than rumours, as far i remember is confirmed) they want to use SSD storage... but i have the feeling they are mentioning SSD as a general concept
    Nowadays there are NVMe modules that have huge speeds of 3000mb/s, and few weeks ago AMD released his ZEN2 series with PCIe v4.0 that boosts the NVMe speeds up to 6000mb/s
    Im sure they are not going to hit the 6000mb/s barrier (because doent exists hardware yet able to reach it, not even in PC)... but the point is... if they goes to NVMe based on PCIe v4 prepare the pocket because this technology is very expensive nowadays (and it can break all records, completly kickass)

The other thing it would break all records is something i been speculating since some time ago... the HBM2 memory
    The idea is to have 4 * HBM2 chips located in the APU (remember ?, like in the PS3 RSX that had 4 memory chips in the corners)
    If they convinces AMD to build APUs with integrated HBM2 chips this is going to allow insane speeds... but again prepare the moneyz

If they does this 2 things... the final price could be over 600$ easilly... im not sure if is a good idea to make the hardware so expensive at launch... but considering the performance is going to be "locked" for the lifetime of the console i guess is worthy

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  5. 3,326
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Home Page:
    You have next to no chance of that... very few games dev companies even have the dev PS5 units at the minute. And from what I have heard people will be in serious sh!t for leaking anything, even so much as a picture of the PS5. Bethesda do and a couple of others as they are making the launch games... The The Elder Scrolls 6 is a PS5 launch game....

Nope, it will come with a "Next Gen" SSD. Even faster than current SSD's. Loading time are insane... the PS4 version of BO3 take's less than 1 second to boot on a PS5.

GPU is a custom AMD Radeon Navi 4nm, CPU is a custom AMD Ryzon. [email protected] made a deal with AMD that this tech is not to be relaesed till after the launch of the PS5. Also "Project Scarlett"> The new X-Box, has went down the same road with custom versions of these as well.

6. 6,680
    sandungas

Lol, i guess, eventually we will see some photos of the prototypes though (some time after the release of PS5), im really curious to see how many different things they was trying in the prototypes
    Remember the prototypes of the PS3 (the oldest ones)... was really freak designs

I mean... a NVMe module is using the same chips than a standard SSD hard drive (of standard size 2.5" or 3.5")
    The biggest difference is an SSD hdd is capped by the SATA speeds, but NVMe is highly superior because it works with PCIe... and everytime they releases a new revision of NVMe they duplicates the speed (because they duplicates the amount of PCI "lanes")
    If they goes that way... using a NVMe bus based on PCIe v4 (and some propietary modules... or just soldering the chips in the motherboard without module) the hdd speed is going to be massive in comparison with previous consoles

Edit:
    Btw... im not telling to use a single "internal storage" device made with NVMe. What i mean is to have 2 "internal storage" devices
    -One of them would be NVMe based, lets say... of capacity 8gb only, and intended to be used as "cache" for games/apps
    -And the other is a normal hdd

Yes, but AMD have the technology to integrate HBM2 chips in the APU
    Actually, if you think in it... his latest experiments about separating the CPU cores as "chiplests" is mostly the same concept... you have a common surface (they names the "infinity fabric") that connects all the chiplets... so the same can be made to place 4 HBM2 chips in the corners of the APU
    This allows for very high speeds connections in between them because all the connections can be made at the speeds allowed by the infinity fabric

Also, this have another advantage... if they finds some way to make the CPU, GPU, RAM work at the same speed (without using multiplyers) everything will work more smooth
    The modern AMD APUs (not the normal AMD CPUs) are very sensitive to memory speeds, in all the tests published it can be seen how an small overclock in the memory gives a boost at the overall performance

So, in resume... one of this modern AMD APUs, with HBM2 integrated, and with the speeds very well adjusted could be a rocket

Honestly i dont think they are going to do it because is very expensive (an APU like this could be over 200$ easilly) but the actual technology allows for it
    And this doesnt aplyes only to sony... microsoft could do it too, but i dont think they are going to do it either

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    DeViL303 likes this.
  7. 6,680
    sandungas

Found a rumour today, not directly related with the PS5, but it confirms what i was saying about integrating HBM2 memory in a AMD APU
    In few words... AMD seems to be working in a processor with 14 "chiplets", and some of them seems to be HBM2 memory chips
    https://wccftech.com/amd-milan-cpu-has-15-dies/

I dont like most of the people that writes news in wccftech, i think they are too much biassed and uses to commit mistakes, the mistakes they have made with this new are:
    -This is going to be used on APU's
    -The memory chips are going to be HBM2 that are faster, more modern, and more expensive than HBM
    -The "tiles" are named "chiplets" in AMD slang
    -The "interposer" is a name used by intel... but when talking about AMD this needs to be named the "infinity fabric"

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    DeViL303 likes this.
  8. 1,930
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Didn't the rumor pointed out for GDDR6, it would be a bloody cannon if it used HBM2 instead, but yet again, cutting costs is essential if they want to keep that 400/500$ price tag, $ony knows they don't want to repeat the same mistake as the PlayStation3.

The Scarlet will have GDDR6, so i don't doubt $ony will go into the same route,since both Consoles share the same Zen2 APU, although if i recall correctly $ony went with ZEN3 so HBM Memory is still possible and plausible.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

9. 648
    Bloodmoons366466

Bloodmoons366466 Member

From what I've heard,the ps5 is going to process like a ryzen 1600 (but be equal to something better) with a gpu between a GTX 1080 and a rtx 2070.All that power,and yet the ps5 will most likely end up doing 30fps at 4k.Hopefully Sony will implement a 1080p 60 mode aswell.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  10. 212
    joe musashi

joe musashi Member

i heard they build its pro with 5nm is that right

besantesteras likes this.
  11. 6,680
    sandungas

We will only know when they does a technical presentation of PS5 architecture... like what they did with the PS4 to tease the developers and attract attention from the game companies

But i think they could do it, a modern AMD APU with HBM2 integrated and specifically designed for consoles... im completly convinced that would be a beast (considering is a single chip of low power)

The manufacturing costs could increase a lot by doing this... but when a console company designs a console they needs to make it the most powerful posible because it needs to resist for the next lets say... 8 years running all the multiplatform triple AAA games

Of course, is not going to be as powerful as whatever graphic card nvidia will release next, and there is going to be some PC games that will need to be "capped" to port them to PS5
    But in the practise, consoles sets the limits for the PC games, game companies wants to be able to publish his games in the biggest number of platforms posible (more potential buyers of his product)

---------
    I also think the price of the PS3 at release date was a mistake, it was in the limit of what could be aceptable for a "home entertainment" device

They was promoting the PS3 as "hey, is not only a console, it a console + pc because it can run linux"... and in some way that marketing did work a bit... but still... lot of people gave a flying F%$# about linux

With the PS5 it seems they are going to have the same problem... the price is going to be high, but this time is not a decission of adding components from previous gen console... is mostly because the actual technology that is available allows them to build something pretty cool

----------------
    And yes... you can bet the PS5 is going to have 4k @ 60fps... this is a "must have" for a new console nowadays
    And being sony... probably they will do 8k (but probably will be some fake scaling, not native and no games will support it, lol)
    There is anoher technology that is being implemented in new TVs btw... dont remember how is named, freesync or something (is a patent from AMD that they did public royaltyfree), i guess the PS5 will have that too because is very nice for gaming... this is another "must have" nowadays, and the HDR too
    But... get ready to buy a new TV to enjoy all this new features :)

Is imposible, at the time the PS4 PRO was released that technology for 5nm was not available yet

For the PS5 is going to be available, but maybe they will start with 12nm or 7nm to reduce costs... and in the next years after the release of PS5 they will move to 5nm

12. 1,930
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    The PS4 Pro, started in the same yeild as the Slim PS4, that being 16nm FIN-FET, although early CUH-7000 suggests a 28nm chip,reports states that TSMC is already working on 7nm Variants of the newest generation chips for Intel and AMD, but development has been delayed due to some complications in the wafer manufacturing, so PS5 will most likely start at 12nm FIN-FET and then 7nm for the revised units.

sandungas and besantesteras like this.
  13. 16
    besantesteras

besantesteras Forum Noob

Do you think that PSV will finnaly playable game at minimum 60fps at full HD? All triple A games? If Sony that don't resolve with next gen console there be nothing about it... But if they do that, there will be shah mate to PC gamers (also I think that some games will run at 90fps on full HD, and some games are maybe run at 60fps at 4K)... That will be revolution of console gaming - Xbox2 must follow that and Nintendo also must ready own new horse for a race!!!

14. 1,930
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    1080p 60p will be required, since 1080p 60p will be the base line for the next generation, but optimal would be 4K 30/60p.

It wouldn't justify to use 1080p 60p all over again, since the focus of this generation was 1080p,so 4K its a must, or else people won't see reason to upgrade or purchase the next generation.

sandungas and besantesteras like this.
  15. 16
    besantesteras

besantesteras Forum Noob

Yes I agree, but minimum requirements for budget triple A games must be 60fps or 90fps on FULLHD, or 60fpr on 4K,but mass of people interest of FULL HD, if that Sony make good for all triple A games, exclusive games and participate games this will be most waiting console ever. Let there be price 700$ or 800$ but than Sony must did the job...

16. 1,930
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    700~800$ price tag, its a hard pill to swallow, specially when, you can make a equivalent PC for the same money, I'd say 450~475$ its optimal, 800$ doesn't justify for a gaming console, and $ony knows that, they don't want to repeat the same mistake as they did with the PlayStation3.

17. 27
    CrashV

CrashV Forum Noob

18. 1,930
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    This is just a conceptual design, $ony apparently removed the candidate design after the leak, they are not happy with the reception of the general public, not to mention the criticism, so they scraped the design, in favour of a new one.

besantesteras and CrashV like this.
  19. 6,680
    sandungas

To me... the most shocking detail of that design is that obviously is focused in heat dissipation of 2 "hot" elements
    There is no need to be an engineer to realize about it... the air enters at the middle, then separates in 2 and goes out at the external sides
    So... obviouslly there are 2 "hot" things at the sides at top

But this in itself doesnt makes sense, because the PS5 is going to have a single APU (so there is only 1 hot spot, not 2)
    The only other hot spot inside a console is the power supply... but do you think that design is hiding a PSU in one side and the APU at the other side ?

And where the F%$# is the fan btw ?... the only available place to fit a fan in that design is at the back, vertically (actually 2 fans)

I think i need to make a drawing to explain what i mean XD

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  20. 6,680
    sandungas

Let me show you what i see...
    It have 2 "hot spots" at top at the sides... so most probably there are 2 big heatsinks made of metal, with the fins in angle (or the fins in horizontal)
    I like a lot this design concept, is a very good idea incase you have 2 hotspots, but the PS5 only have 1 APU, right ?... so is only 1 hotspot, not 2. Thats the weirdest thing of this design incase is a PS5
    [​IMG]

And where are located the fans ?... the motherboard seems to be located at the same height than the leds and buttons that can be seen at the front... and the way how im drawing it doesnt allows to place a big fan in the center... so maybe it have 2 fans at the back , this way
    [​IMG]

In a previous post i said that this design could fit well for a PS3 because the PS3 have 2 hot spots (CELL and RSX), sony is promoting that online service for playing games of his previous consoles... but they doesnt have a PS3 emulator running 100% by software on a PS4/PS5
    So it seems his only option is to continue manufacturing some internal PS3 models and create big farms with them to stream the PS3 games online... but is a bit retarded to build this "farms" with the retail PS3 superslims... so maybe is a special version of the PS3 only for streaming PS3 games

Anyway... lets return to what i was drawing and continue thinking this is a PS5... so... where is located the APU ?
    It needs to be located in the center... and connected with the metal heatsinks with long copper pipes, this way
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    besantesteras and CrashV like this.
Tags: