PS3 Run PKG games on CFW/HAN from an external Hard Drive.

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by wissam_, Jun 19, 2019.

1. 4
    wissam_

wissam_ Forum Noob

Hey guys!

I have a 250Gb PS3 Slim, I have some games on it installed by PKG format, and It support both CFW and HAN.
    So, I just bought a new 1TB EXTERNAL Hard Drive, and I was wondering if I can run these games from that HDD and play them, also these games are splitted into parts in PKG format.

Note: I can do both CFW and HAN, just tell me which one should be able to run games from that HDD.

And thanks in advance!

2. 240
    jcorrea

jcorrea PSX-Place Supporter

Developer
    With HAN, you will not be able to load games from external. You can use HEN or CFW. IMO, CFW is far away better than HEN. You can load games from both, HEN and CFW, using webMan MOD.

Algol likes this.
  3. 4
    wissam_

wissam_ Forum Noob

The games are in .pkg format and splitted, not ISO format.!!!

4. 802
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

Why are they split? That's only necessary as a workaround for the 4GB file limit when storing on a FAT32 external HDD. With a 1TB HDD formatted with the PS3, that 4GB file limit does not apply (only applies for external USB drives, however most CFW file managers support NTFS anyway) and so you'll have plenty of storage space for games backed up in ISO format.

jcorrea likes this.
  5. 240
    jcorrea

jcorrea PSX-Place Supporter

Developer
    So, you will have to redump your games as ISO, or at least, "JB folder" format

6. 2,218
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    PKG games run like a bag of crap off external HDD's in folder format as they are, some of the games can be converted to disc boot and the converted to ISO Format, then if you format the external HDD to NTFS it will run the ISO without splitting it.

PSN liberator v1.0 can do this for you. But beware that not all games in pkg format you can do this with.

If the games you have are split then the game contains a file that is over 4GB. If you are storing the actual install pkg file on the external HDD and its FAT32 then this will be split as the PKG is stored as 1 file, which will defo be over 4GB in size.

jcorrea likes this.
  7. 3,082
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

For external drives, ISO format is recommended.

You can create the folder /GAMEI in the root of USB drive formatted in FAT32, press SELECT+SQUARE in webMAN MOD and install the PKG.

On the PC you can extract the PKG to /GAMEI so you will have the a path like x:/GAMEI/NPUBxxxxx/USRDIR/EBOOT.BIN
    Also you can copy the games from /dev_hdd0/game/NPUBxxxxx to /dev_usb000/GAMEI/NPUBxxxxx

After copy the game from hdd0 to GAMEI, you can delete USRDIR of the game in hdd0/game/NPUBxxxxx, but don't delete the PARAM.SFO or ICON0.PNG or you will get a broken icon on XMB.

If the game is not already installed, it is recommended that you first install the game on HDD0 to create the icon on XMB, then reinstall it on USB. It doesn't need to be the full game, only the PARAM.SFO, ICON0.PNG and EBOOT.BIN are necessary in HDD0. The "FIX" packages can be used to create the icon on XMB.

Games with files larger than 4GB are not compatible. I'm talking of the game files inside the PKG that are extracted to FAT32, the PKG file can be any size.

8. 4
    wissam_

wissam_ Forum Noob

Thank you so much guys!
    Y'all were helpful.

If anyone can close this, please do.